1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Big" Issues and "Tall" stories.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Manjureddy, May 4, 2007.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya:evil:

Hello...So looks like you belong to the tall club. What's your kind advice to little me?? I ask in all innocence... :) :mad: 8)

L, Kamla

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Chitrajan
    Thanx.
    That was a nice quote indeed !
    I have read that a frown exercises more facial muscles, whereas a smile takes lot less work.
    so lets keep smiling !
    manjula

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Abha
    Thanks for your kind words.

You can take pride in being "The Ideal Wife", for being the husband's " resting support" ( there's a tamil word: Sumai thaangi)

And there's always that positive song "jiski biwi choti uska bhi bada naam hai...."

manjula

4. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Meenu
    Thank you for finding my post entertaining. I am happy it gave a few moments of fun.
    manjula

5. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Abhatv
    Thank you, my little friend !
    Our wisemen are always saying, "its the little things in life that matter !"

( btw: i think the word you were looking for is "brobdingnagian".)

manjula

6. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Aha Manju,

What a write-up, buddy!

Enjoyed to the core.

Come back and play the band again.

You know, by the name I was guessing you to be from Andhra and much to my surprise 'Idhu Naidu Hall....' was the first thread I read.

N Mahal thoon....O...:rotfl

I'm Oviya...

Are you wondering over the dithyrambic descriptions?

Aiyo..Naan, too, from Tamil Nadu...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. rukmini_dhara

rukmini_dhara New IL'ite

Hi all,

My name is Rukmini, 29 years, currently in Singapore and I joined as a member as soon as I read this post. I cannot understand what all you 5'7.5'' and less are complaining about! Try being 5'10.5'', with a size 10 shoe, and then you'll know! I know, I am such a person.

All you people can atleast stand in the last row of your school march past/ band groups, but imagine never being considered because you spoil the whole line up.

No issue of ever having to try getting a readymade dress, it was never possible to get one anyway. The tailors are still surprised thet I need pyjamas which measure 46''.

And then shoes! Till about 2-3 years ago, I only used to get shoes in the mens department of shoe stores. I would try finding something unisex. But imagine, my male classmates would sometimes wear the same variety of shoe, just a size or two smaller! An embarassing situation for both sides involved.

And saree is not a leveller, when you can't wear one without an extension on the top, and still end up having to wear it much below the navel! When I go to buy sarees, I don't look for the variety, but only the height of the saree.

And pray, what does it mean to be admired by the opposite sex? I have only ever had boys who are friends, but no boyfriends, or anyone who would probably like to be one. As noted previously, Indian men don't like to have their women 'looking down' on them.

Of course, sometimes, I pity my parents, both of whom are shorter than me. (Thats not unique, no one in my family, not even male cousins are taller than me, i.e., they are all shorter than me!!) Finding a groom for me was a tough, tough job. Ther were some guys who said they were 5'11'' tall and ended up being shorter than me. There were some who thought we did not know the difference between 10 and 1, they thought I was 5'1'' tall.

But, finally, I am married, and he happens to be 6'4'' tall. Now, I have some peace, my MIL is 5'8''. I imagine what would have been her plight while growing up and stay rest assured that there was someone else who had to go through it all!

We are going to have a daughter. My husband shudders, when he realises that both of us are taller than our respective fathers. What if our daughter ends up being taller than him? Even in this day and age, I don't think a 6'4'' girl is the in thing in India. But to each her own! I am sure she'll manage, just like I did.

Now, I stay in Singapore, populated by the Chinese race, who are invariably short. There are nearly no Yao Mings there. Now, when both of us go out, we are looked at as an oddity. The only consolation I have is that they stare more at my husband than at me.

But somethings in life don't change. I and my husband share the same shoe size!!

8. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Happened to come across this pretty old thread but reading this i recollected my plight. When i was a child people used to call me different names when i went out. people used to make fun of me(am 5'6"). I always used to feel very bad why am tall I have to face so many things. Even now when I go out to buy chappals its very difficult for me to get good ones my size is 10/11. Thanks to Bata i do get few decent models. After reading so many stories am feeling more confident about myself thinking I have so many friends who are like me underwent the same ordeal.

9. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

Rajini,

You are 5.6 I am 5.10 think how much I would have faced.But still I am proud to be tall and pretty as well:)

1 person likes this.
  10. rajinitk4

rajinitk4 IL Hall of Fame

Sangeetha I appreciate your positive attitude.