1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bharatanatyam- Is age a restriction?

Discussion in 'Music and Dance' started by sunflower19, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Sonal3080

Sonal3080 New IL'ite

Hey all :hiya

Even I was thinking of learning Bharatanatyam and am in my late twenties!!!

That's the first question I asked the guru at the dance class I found at Chicago and she says age is no bar and flexibility-wise you can attend one class and see if it suits you.

So today's my first class...wish me luck gals..

Take the first step and Njoy!!!

2. gjaya

gjaya Silver IL'ite

Dear Sonal,

Wow...thats amazing. Good luck in your class I am sure you will continue on. I wish I too stayed nearby you so that we could attend the classes together.

Jaya

3. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

To all Bharatanatyam aspirants,

Age is no bar. In October 2008, when my daughter joined classes I used to have the same questions which most of you have raised. I had debated within myself whether to join the same class or not. I asked my husband and my mom. They said very good, just go ahead. But still I didn't get the nerves to learn and dance with the kids.

I used to wait there for my daughter to finish her class and one fine day I told the dance master that I also wish to dance. He said you may join now. He didn't expect any dakshana or anything but he started the class right away. It has been almost 5 months now, I'm continuing the classes in the same batch as my daughter who is 5 yrs old now. I'm 33 now with 2 kids.

If you want to dance, now is the time. Forget about the age.

Thanks
    Stella

4. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Hi Sandhya,

Where r u staying in Chennai? I'm in TNHB, Velachery. I attend classes during week-ends in TNHB itself. Our dance master is one of the disciples of Ms. Shobana. He is planning to start classes in Nanganallur and Anna Nagar branches too. If you are interested I'll let you know the contact details.

All the best.

Regards,:thumbsup
    Stella

5. karunamurty

karunamurty Bronze IL'ite

Hello all Bharatanatyam enthusiasts
    well went through all the posts abt learning dance and Padmini's encouraging words. I totally agree with her.
    Just sharing a small experience with all of you. I have learnt Kuchipudi for 9 yrs. I started learning only when i was in the 8th std and continued till the day of my marriage. That is roughly 9 yrs+.
    Now I am 40 yrs, young at heart. My son is in std XII and will leave the nest to join an engineering college soon. I plan to join a dance class again after he leaves. I know i am not supple and flexible as i was when young but i would love to learn a dance form and I hope to start all over again if it is from the scratch.
    With a dance background or not, for any art AGE SHOULD BE NO BAR. I can vouch for that because i learnt swimming at the age of 36 and i am glad i did and believe me without a coach!.. it took time though to learn but did it none the less. i am not a master at the art of swimming now :) but will not have to just stand at the beach and stare at water any more.
    i always wanted to but didnt have the opportunity to do so. a few yrs ago my friend forced me to accompany her. i went apprehensively but later enjoyed the experience thoroughly.
    i wrote in such great detail cos i wish all the young women in late twenties and thirties would learn dance just for the sake of your own enjoyment. :thumbsup:thumbsup

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    I have also wanted to learn Bharatham when I was young but did not get a chance. I have danced at the colony functions and many other places in my native due to the interest of my neighbouring aunty, I felt that I should learn the dance, just for the joy of dancing only. But I don't know if I will be taken as a student, I am on the other side of 40, nearing 50.
    Last month, I went to the arangetram of my friend's daughter. Oh my, she was wonderful, I sat in the first row and enjoyed the recital very much.
    There are lots of classes going on in my area but I have not even given a thought about joining. I feel that I should try after reading all the posts.
    You girls, go ahead and join a class at the earliest. All the best to you!

7. karunamurty

hello Varloo
    i suppose once a dancer always a dancer :) . That is the power of any art if we are passionate about it. As you have had basic training in dance and still enjoy dance recitals, may be you should join a dance class. Just a suggestion, you can ask any of your friends who are interested to join the same dance class and then you wont feel conscious.
    All the best!

8. ganges

ganges Gold IL'ite

dear friend

There is no age restriction for learning anything. Only thing is, the flexibility of your body will not be as easy as of the young ones. Age restrictions in bharatha natyam comes in the aspect of stage appearance.

ganges

9. karunamurty

Hello Ganges
    I agree with you that with the advancement of age, the body becomes more rigid and stiff. It becomes difficult to dance when compared to the young generation.
    But dance aspirants, go ahead for the sense of self satisfaction and achievement.

10. moogambigai

moogambigai New IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

No more thoughts about age. Just trigger your passion and focus on it , you will achieve it very soon. You know i am mad about Bharathanatyam and i started learning it now. I am like you guys on late 20's. Still we have enough time to achieve

Just live for yourself, passionate your passion