1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bhagat Singh - Why I am atheist?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Akanksha1982, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

March 23rd, 1931, Bhagat singh, Sukh dev and Raj Guru were hanged to death. Their bravery has been remembered over the years. Their life and name has been politicized over the years as well. There is also a thought that Nehru and Gandhi were afraid of his popularity and taking the movement away from the non-violence platform to a violent platform and hence didn't intervene much with the Britishers to change their sentence to life imprisonment instead of death. Even today, politicians try to use him in whatever ways they can. AK used his photo in the backdrop every time he give interview. Yet, a lot of things that Bhagat Singh did in just 23 years of age.

What intrigued me is the depth of his readings and knowledge. Just came across his article Why I am an atheist? - Wikisource, the free online library

He provides his journey from faith to being an atheist, mostly influenced by the Communism popularity of the 1920s.

I would love ILites to provide their refute to his arguments against God, just for discussion purpose. I have my ideas and would share along the way.

6 people like this.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akanksha more than huis contribution to freedom struggle, I salute Bhagat Singh for this tract. To be a true atheist is an act of great courage because it means shrugging off the belief systems passed on from generation to generation, even alienating your dear and near ones who believe otherwise. This is not the shallow atheism of a section of the political class in southern India who talk atheism and when elections come send their families rushing to temple to seek divine forgiveness. This should be made compulsory reading for every Indian at school level. That would help us transcend the age old moth-worn dogmas that divide us on the basis of various faiths that bow before an imaginary being and fight over his brand name.

2 people like this.
  3. madhuprabha

madhuprabha Gold IL'ite

Hello Akanksha - Thanks for posting a wonderful link. I liked and believe the following lines written by Shri Bhagat Singh

'Belief' softens the hardships, even can make them pleasant. In God man can find very strong consolation and support. Without Him, the man has to depend upon himself. To stand upon one's own legs amid storms and hurricanes is not a child's play. At such testing moments, vanity, if any, evaporates, and man cannot dare to defy the general beliefs, if he does, then we must conclude that he has got certain other strength than mere vanity. '

I also think that only a brave person can become a atheist. It is so easy to blame the God for any misfortunes that fall u. It is only at times of turbulence that the real test of the person's strengths are exposed.

I am firm believer in God and see him as omnipresent, who understands and guides us, but at times needs to be prompted to give us what we ask for.

3 people like this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Exactly, I was speechless when I read the description of his journey from faith to atheism. What a great way he lead his life in just 23 years. Wished he would have controlled himself and didn't commit the act to voluntarily get caught.

5. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

The last three paragraphs of the article are simply superb.Baghatsingh has been able to justify his stand very clearly.He scores high when he analyses the subject with the mindset of a believer too.
    Long ago I read a book in Tamil published by saiva samaya siddhantha kazhagam containing same questions asked from a believer ( theist) and an atheist.
    Surprisingly answers were the same from both. They arttributed the same reason for being believers and atheists. But only the perception and interpretation were widely different.
    The author concluded that there is a very thin line of demarcation between believers and non believers.
    Since God is an experience and cannot be defined in words,the debate is likely to continue till the universe exists.Belief or otherwise had existed even from vedic period and this is not something new in Kaliyuga.
    Those we treat God as just another human being and bargain with Him/Her for favours straight from a pass in exam, promotion in office ,restoration of normal health or sharing the booty of the looted wealth can never belong to the category of believers.
    On the otherhand a man ,who reveals himself as an atheist and is able to render even a small service to the society, is a real believer( Believer of his own powers and confident of extending his hand to the needy)

Jayasala 42

3 people like this.
  6. Akanksha1982

Isn't the article wonderful? I just read about March 23rd, being the day they were executed and thought of learning more about Bhagat Singh and that's where I landed up on this article.

I am a firm believer of God and a God loving person (not a God fearing person). I think over the years, people have instilled fear into minds of people regarding God (Do this to please God, Do that to extinct all your sins, etc) instead of guiding people to be God loving.

2 people like this.
  7. Akanksha1982

Nice analysis on your part as well. Yes there is a fine line between believers and non-believers. Extremism on either side is not fruitful. A blind faith is useless even to God and an extreme antagonism towards God is detrimental to oneself (making each task harder onto oneself, as with each hurdle, the unconscious mind attributes it as a punishment of denying the faith).

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Akansha,

i will read the link and get back later today.Good to know we have a great writer in you, u know the pulse of the readers eh !

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  9. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Nice one A82.

Belief system gives Relief.
    God it is for the theist and self it is for the atheist.
    Selfless/Selfish-less ought to be there in either to be of any purpose.

3 people like this.
  10. Akanksha1982

Wow!! you encapsulated the whole theme of the article in just 3 lines. The theist in me says that the self is God, so atheist is a form of theist.

2 people like this.