1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Beware of doing your child’s home work

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

BEWARE OF DOING YOUR CHILD’S HOME WORK

I am not a journalist or writer.My journalistic achievements are limited to a few letters of endearment to my wife in the first flush of married life and later on, regular contributions to our house magazine.For my daughters however, I was a hero, almost on par with Enyd Blyton,having seen my articles in print..Therefore now and then my help was sought in solving the nuances of the English language
    One Friday evening my second daughter, studying in the 5<SUP>th</SUP> standard confronted me with a topic for composition titled”Autobiography of a Diamond.I had not bargained for such a topic and therefore pretended to be busy with official papers.When this did not cut ice with her I tried to divert the attention by discussing the home budget with my wife.My daughter however did not give up, as children are these days.Unable to postpone my tryst with destiny any longer,I sat down with a heavy heart to tackle the subject.

After an hour’s struggle,I wrote down that the diamond is a very hard,brilliant stone and it has come to be associated as a status symbol of Iyengar ladies.At this juncture,my daughter entered the room and critically surveyed my progress.Thoroughly dissatisfied with my write up,she made it clear that what was wanted was not a question and answer session on diamond but an interesting composition running to three pages in her note book.I was aghast and cursed the teacher for choosing this topic instead of a sensible and easy topic like “How did spend your annual holidays”. I looked into Wren and Martin grammer to know how such autobiographies are written.What I read in the book dispelled my gloom and I was on familiar grounds.It was important for me to live up to my hero’s image before my daughter.A cup of steaming filtered coffee and the adulatory look of my pretty daughter set my creative juices flowing.The end result came out of the following:

The diamond,a big piece is lying buried in a farmer’s field and discovered when the farmer digs a well.The farmer quietly takes it home.Four notorious criminals having come to know of this rob the diamond from the farmer’s houseAmjad Khan,Amitabh Bachhan,Shatrugan Sinha and Madan Puri came to my rescue to describe the four criminals.It then became fairly easy going with never ending fights among themselves,murder etc,followed by hot pursuit of the police,Thanks to an, energetic police commissioner in the persona of Iftekar,who personally chases the lone surviving culprit,the diamond lands in the government treasury.

At this stage I felt that time was ripe to give a touch of religious integration.Therefore the diamond when auctioned by the Government,Vincent Demello,a philanthropic industrialist being the highest bidder gets hold of the diamond.He had just blessed the love marriage of his lovely daughter to a Hindu boy.I had no difficulty in describing the girl as Madhuri Dixit flashed before my eyes with her 1000 watts smile.:)

The dimond is made into a pendant and adorns the neck of the girl as the marriage is solemnized in the local church.All the friends and well wishers bless the newly married couple as the pendant silenty says amen.I concluded the article and handed it over to my daughter with a sigh of relief.While appreciating my efforts,my daughter told her mother that I had to be dealt with sternly to bring the best out of me.

Three days later,my daughter appeared crest fallen when she returned from school.On questioning she silently handed over her composition note book.There! I found the teacher’s remark”sangeetha –Is it your own work?See me in the principal’s room”.It was my sheer fortune that I was not called to meet the principal.

This was the beginning and end of my journalistic intervention in my daughter’s home work.It is a pity that the age of the child and the class in which he or she is studying is not considered while selecting the topic.Teachers do not discuss the topic for sheer lack of time nor give clear guidelines.The subject is so chosen to ensure that while the teacher is sweating it out correcting home work note books during weekly holidays,parents are also kept busy.This is the techer’s way of settling the score with parents.:rotfl

sindmani likes this.

2. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laxmiji,

what a story yu told yr daughter eh ! with all the filmi heros thrown in, and Iftekar to boot, and u make a lovely story with it, the daimond, Madhuri Dixit, and etc.HAHAHAHA

Now more i read u, the more i am loving yr writings. uou are a great writer, a very gifted one.God bless u, and keep entertaing us a lot more.

where were u all these years.REgards

kamal

3. S Priya

S Priya Senior IL'ite

Hi Sir,

A really good hilirous one, so the teacher got to know who was behind the homework hahaha !!!! I too had a similar experience, but i found it very difficult at least u had referals for the work but mine was, for craft, stick dal for the duck where the duck was A4 size full, and butterfly to be decorated with bindis same size. So much to my work 2-3 dals fell off from the work. She grade my work as B+ poor me.

4. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

My dear lakshiminarayanan,

That was a good post.
    When I was in 6th std,our class teacher asked us to bring a chart each and she told me to make some thing to do with maths.I remember that it was a geometrical thing.As always, I requested my brother to do the chart for me.My brother being a wonderful brother,drew the design and decorated it with big culture pearls.The chart looked so beautiful,teacher was stunned,I was grinning from ear to ear.One of my friends pulled the chart from my hand, the pearls fell down,.I collected them,came home and forgot all about it.
    The next morning at 6.30 my brother dear was leaving for office,he had to cycle all the way.Suddenly I remembered the dhart and took it to my Anna,begged him to do it once again for me.He shouted at me,yelled at me,scolded me but even in that hurry ,he was just leaving for office,he patiently repaired the chart for me.

When I did B.ED,I had to make a number of charts.My husband engaged a professional painter and did all the charts for me.One of the younger students said,"I think I should have done the course after marriage ."But how many husbands have the desire and patience to help their wives?Hm.... you have to give the devil its due,no?
    love
    mithila kannan

sindmani likes this.
  5. revathis

revathis Senior IL'ite

Dear Lakshminarayanan

A hillarious write-up with some serious thought . I strongly agree with the below writing of yours

It is a pity that the age of the child and the class in which he or she is studying is not considered while selecting the topic.

Children are not allowed to think on their own by giving such topics and i feel thereby the teachers are curbing their talents.

Revathi

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Vasishta has called me Brahmarishi-That is how I take your compliments.Both of us blogging results in initial hiccups as FBs goes in different names when we forget to log out after use.The well kept secret of Mythili and I being wife and and husband is out in the open like Kasab's nationality-HAHA.Behind every good post there is the mouth watering Vada and Chutney which Mythili makes.You are privy to this gastronomical delight which starts the creative juices flowing.
    Regards

LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear LN sir,
    a hilarious write up ...and wow, what an adventure the diamond had involving all the bollywood stars and see how even ms dixit came to your rescue to complete the required number of pages..Big Laugh...u surely deserve a big :thumbsup

but on a serious note i would like to share with you something i found out here in my dds school..she is doing her IB ,a swiss preuniversity course that involves submission of a number of projects ..each time, their project is first handed over to some site to check for plagiarism..(turniton.com or something similar sounding )so even if they have gathered material from different sources like wikipedia they are supposed to mention it as a source,otherwise it will show as plagiarised...

only work with less than 8 % plagiarism will even be accepted...real cool,i thought

love
    Mindi

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mindian,
    Thanks for the FB.The temptation for plagiarism is alluring but the ignominy attached to plagiarism is devastating.There is no harm in borrowiNg ideas but to weave a web with your own words requires patience and skill.Children should be guided to be patient while providing them the tools to improve their skill.Give them a fishing rod instead of fish.

Regards

LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

9. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear Sir,
    I don't know whether this is true or just writer's imagination. But very humorous , I do remember once when my son in 4th std asked me to write abt " happiness", I started with " happiness is relative to mind". I think the essay fell flat. Even today it is a joke between my son and myself.

Sir you are wonderful writer & we are enjoying your posts
    Jaya

10. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Lakshminarayananji,

Wonderful post, excellent narration.. But now we know that is expected of a great writer....

It is indeed 'Ghar Ghar ki Kahani' that most parents resort to writing the composition for the children. Most of the times the child has little or no idea about the subject. During my school days we followed a principle where each topic of composition would first be discussed in school and then we would have to write it after a few days . That ensured that there was perfect synchronisation of mind and speech and enhanced our cognitive powers. It may not be very innovative with most compositions sounding same as we had pre-discussed it but atleast it was written by us and we knew what we were talking about.

Lakshminarayananji, loved the way you generate so much interest in simple topics through your capabilities par excellence as a writer.

Regards,
    Devika