1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Between London, Melbourne and Washington-2

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

During my stay at London, I went to New York to attend my son's graduation at Madison Square gardens and also visited my nephew and niece at New Jersy. After I came back, my colleagues asked me what are the differences between the two places. My observations were that in U.S. all things are big like houses, cars and roads in general. While in London everyone were parking their cards in front of their houses and virtually on the roads, in New jersy, they park in proper garagres. But, funnily all the entries into the house is through basement garage doors and the main doors are seldom used. The cars in London also were smaller and not fitted with GPS. Londoners use A to Z map for directions and I have been the navigator to my friends giving directions from A to Z.

Before I went to London I read a report that the crime rate in London is among the highest in the world. I found many houses fitted with burgler alarms while in U.S and Melbourne I did not find any. The very house I initially stayed was fitted with a burgler alarm and the land lady told me that already few times the house has been burgled. This was confirmed by an incident. One day, the land lady and her son went out in their car leaving me alone in the house and night had fallen. My room was upstairs and I was listening to music. Suddenly I heard some commotion at the front door as if some one is trying to force open. I came down asking 'Who is there?'. I could see the silhoutee of a person standing outside. he was not answering my queries and it raised my suspicion. Already, I was wondering why he did not ring the front door bell. I then mustered courage and told 'if you are not telling who you are I am going to call the police'. The moment I uttered police, the man left confirming my suspicion. I was shaken up and went upstairs and from behind the curtains I peeped into the entrance. There was no one and the man must have gone. The police was contacted next day and they told that a person is roaming around burgling the houses and they said that the person goes to the house where there is no car parked in front as it was in our case. But, he did not exoect a person to stay in the house as it happened to be me. Few days a later, there was a news that a school teacher has been murdered by a burgler in what was regarded as a very safe area. This totally unnerved me and I shifted from that house to another house where the safety was better as the landlord of the house was a Scotland yard Inspector.

People in London are generally nice and kind, especially the elderly people. They still regard India as part of the British empire and so Indians are fellow citizens. But, not so the younger ones. I had two unpleasant incidents. Once, while waiting for a bus a group of young boys started calling me as 'hey packy'. I ignored them which must have irritated them. They came threateningly towards me. But, meantime the bus came and I was saved. I was not so lucky the next time. While I was walking towards my house which was at the end of a cul-de-sac, two boys who were coming behind me shocked me when one of them hit the back of my head with his palm. When I turned arpound in shock, they ran away. Although I was not injured the shock was big as i was afraid I was their target of racist attack. I called the police who said that the boys have played a prank and i need not worry. All the same, they assured me that they will put some plaincloths men to watch and next time if it happens they will take action. I was consoled when I watched a BBC program about the growing menace of youngsters' pranks. One lady came and cried saying that her son was a victim to such pranks and he is afraid to go to school. The game was that boys will go in pair and as one hits an innocent victim the other will snap it with his camera to boast among their friends. BBC showed few snaps of people being hit in buses and trains.

To be continued...

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

TDU Sir,

Another interesting insight into life in London. Well looks like teenager gangs and pranks are there everywhere. Here , where I live, there was gang that used to go around after school , that used to steal bikes, take away tires from parked cars and so on. The police caught them and now it has stopped.
    Living with a Scotland yard Inspector. That must have been interesting. Did he ever tell you about any interesting cases he solved. Reminds me of Sherlock Holmes.

3. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vandana,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, living with the Scotland yard Inspector was interesting as he did mention few stories. But, it was difficult to meet him often as he used to be away most of the time on secret missions I thought. But, there was one disadvantage. He had fixed a big search light focused on the house and since my bedroom was closer to the street I used to get the light in spite of heavy curtains disturbing my sleep. After some time I brought it to the notice of the land lady who argued with him and got it switched off.

Regards,

TDU