Betel Leaves Garland

Discussion in 'Pujas Prayers & Slokas' started by preethimanik, Feb 13, 2015.

1. preethimanik

preethimanik Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Does anybody aware about how to put betel leaves garland to hanuman and how many has to be there and how to tie it up and for wat purpose it can be put?

Thanks and Regards,
    Preethi.

1 person likes this.

2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Preethi,

My mom used to tie 5 betel leaves together using twine and hang it on hanumans foto. She used to do it for 11 weeks on thursday

Brahan

1 person likes this.
  3. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister @preethimanik

Sairam, Enjoy darshan of Lord Hanuman with Betel Leaves garland
    [​IMG]
    Though I am aware that Lord Hanuman's favourite is Betel leaves and Vada malai these are used are Garlands, there may be different reason behind.

If the idol is small you can start Garland with minimum of 11 leaves, 21, 27, 54 to 108 leaves, this is the maximum I have offered, though flower sellers sell these garland it is good enough if you can do it on your own.

Take long thread equivalent to the garland (preferably thick ones or even wool can be used) make two strands equally add a third thread direct which is used for tying.

Now take the leaf, hold it the wrong side, fold the top so that the stalk goes inside then fold both sides about quarter an inch, now the three sides are like that of an rectangle, while the tip remains, now turn the folded leaf to the right position, place it in between both the threads take the third thread for tying, add other leaves the same way, it looks beautiful.

If wool is used it is still prettier, please use areca nut (pakku in tamil) in the first or last leaf.

Next time when I tie may be I can do with a virtual steps which can make you learn better.

As far as my knowledge goes, Betel garland is only for idols at temples.

May Lord Hanuman and Baba guide you and bless you always.

7 people like this.
  4. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Hello SaiSakthi Akka,

It would be great if you could post some pictures of how make any type of garland.
    I mean Lemon, betel leaves, rose petals are some in which I'm highly interested.
    Also do you know if we can make garlands with green lime vs yellow lemon.Wondering if you can provide some more info like number of lemons and days on which it can be offered to God.

Thanks much.

2 people like this.
  5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

2 betel leaf with a paaku/nut inside(though there is another thought that no betel should be kept) rolled and tied as one flower/knot of the garland. you can do 11,21,27,54,108. roll it in such a way that the front shining side is up.google for pictures.

these days many do the same for ganapathi too.

it is said that your prayers are fulfilled with the betel leaves garland.

(the story behind this is - after hanuman finds seetha in lanka during his search, seetha gives him the mani for Rama and blesses hanuman with leaves of a plant close by..the plant is said to be betel. so praying to hanuman using this garland is praying to maa seetha.) and thee is another story for the vada mala that we adorn anjaneya with too..

6 people like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

lemons yellow without any spots is best. though many just make a garland of green, yellow or whatever is available. it is more about the shradda .

tuesdays/sundays/fridays-rahu kalam best for durga. you can do the same at other times and as per your prayers. if you have a prayer of offering you can do it on these days.

personally, i pick around 150 lemons if i want to make a 108 garland. wash dry and select the best of them and make a garland. i use the thick cotton based thread depending on the weight i would take a thicker ply.

you can also do a elaichi/yelakkai maalai for lord hayagriva..

3 people like this.
  7. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Appreciate your detailed reply and tips. Will def try with a small garland first .

1 person likes this.
  8. Saisakthi

Saisakthi IL Hall of Fame

Sister @LuvLadoo35

Sairam, Sorry Somehow I missed your post...
    [​IMG]

Lord Muruga, Goddess Durga or any Goddess can be adorned with Lemon, Actually it is only the yellow lemons which should be used, Yes it can be as less as 11 or more like 21, 27, 51, 54 or 108.

It is again only for Idols, and in temples, As Sister @Shanvy mentioned depending on the numbers thick thread should be used bearing in mind the weight.

Choose Yellow Lemons same size, plain without any marks and also fresh, Can be used offered without any vow too, as you visit any of the Lord Muruga temples or Goddess temples you can offer.

Generally when we are able to offer garland home made it pleases the Lord/Goddess. so once in a while let us try and fulfill it.

Again as Sister @Shanvy mentioned Elachi (Cardamom) garland can be made for Lord Anjaneyar, Lord Hayagreevar, Lord Nandi (on pradosham) Lord Pradosha Nanyenar (on Pradosham)

I will soon try to picturize Betel leaves garland for easy Visualization, May Baba guide us always. SAIRAM

5 people like this.
  9. LuvLadoo35

LuvLadoo35 Gold IL'ite

Thank you Akka for the post . Please do post some pictures whenever you can.

10. preethimanik

preethimanik Silver IL'ite

Thank you all for these wonderful informations