1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to grate coconut

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by raji2678, Aug 16, 2011.

1. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Coconut forms an important part of our diet. At present, I follow the traditional method of grating - an aruvalmanai.
    That consists of a grating blate attached to a wooden plank, and we have to sit on the floor to do the job.

At present, the grating blade has become a little blunt. None of the shops have replacement blade.

I do not want to go in for a FP or use the grater blade of my grinder now.

Can you please share how you grate coconuts?

There is something by Anjali..you just fix it on a base and turn the handle. How effective it is? Does it stick firmly and take a short time? Does the coconut get grated evenly by this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Raji, buy the coconut grater attachment for your grinder. It makes the job easy & compact.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Raji,
    The Anjali grater is of no use, for first few days it will work well, on frequent use it wont sit firmly so I have resorted to mixie as I dont have grinder....

4. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

OK Aunty. Thanks.

5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Thanks Bunny. You have saved my money!

6. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Hi you can sharpen the blunt blade and make it sharp. If you are in India i think you get some roadside person trying to sharpen blunt things (sanaipidikardhu - they call it in tamil).Nothing can replace the aruvalmanai!!!

7. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Mickeymini, I wil try that approach as well, once I spot that person. Thanks!

8. Tinaj

Tinaj New IL'ite

Hi,

I use my Preethi mixie to grate coconut. (cut into pieces and turn the knob to 1 for few seconds).
    Other way is you can use carrot or beetroot grater where we use to rub the vegetable to make halwa. it also works so well.
    Or there is spoon like grater(wooden handle, blade at the end same like aruvalmanai) available in the market, it also works well when you use it in circular motion.

Shyama

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  9. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

IMHO, this is more tedious than the traditional method. Cleaning the grinder is another additional task.

10. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Hi Raji,

My mom using the grater that can be clamped in the tabletop of shelf for 10 years [http://odiriseng.com/products/CoconutGraterB5.jpg]. It still works excellent. She never sharpened the blades till now. Buy one in good material and some big shop. I forgot where she got hers.

Last time when I went to India I bought the one that can be fixed on the table top air tightly. It stays fixed really tight. [http://www.coconutty.co.uk/images/coconut_scraper.gif] I don't use coconut often. So when I need I take it, use it and put it back in the shelf. It works fine till now, for 6 months. I would recommend this one if you don't have proper place to fit the former one.

ilt