1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best way for personal celebrations

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by radhavenkatesh, Mar 30, 2007.

1. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

Be it a birthday, wedding anniversary or any happy occasion which we want to share how do we do it?
    buy new fancy clothes, buy gold jewellary worth occasion
    dine out ,throw a party
    wot esle wud we do??

think of sending a sweets to the nearest orphanage/oldage home(fruits no sweets or cooked fud please) handicapped school
    making a little homework finding out number of inmates and their condition it would not cost us much

wot do u all say ?? maybe not an bad idea :)

1 person likes this.

2. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Radha,
    Thats a good idea....i also have been wanting to do that...but here the lack of my language etc, was keeping me away from interacting with the community here!
    I just wanted to share that recently i saw the Save the Children, camp and went up to them and agreed to send money every year from here!That was on behalf of my wedding anniversary , and i did not go out this time and spend the money...i must say it felt good! After all we women know that only in sacrificing is the essnce of life! Isnt it , what do say!
    Very nice of you to share this idea!:2thumbsup:

3. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

One of our neighbour, they went to orphanage to celebrate 1st b'day of there kid & distribute food & clothes. I think this is the best way to celebrate ur near ones special occassions & u feel good too.

I think this is a good way to celebrate.

4. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Dear Radha,

Nice of you to start a thought provoking thread like this.

Yeah......that is definitely a noble thought to celebrate our joys with those less fortunate in whatever way we can.

As a family we have been following this for some years now. My mother in her actions thought us that we should do our little bit for the less fortunate, that it's the thought that matters not the size of what we give.

On her mother's death anniversary she used to sponsor a day's lunch for the children of an orphanage near by( though now that orphanage no longer exists). She used to do this every yr & have been seeing this from the time i was a little child.

Even now on new years she makes it a point to visit the orphanage & distributes little gifts like pencil boxes, books ,etc. She tells me how good it feels to see their brightened faces on receiving them.

Nowadays, there are lot of people who celebrate in this manner. makes the world such a better place to live, isn't it?

Cheers!
    Ragini.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thats really a very nice kind thing to do.. Though I have not done this personally, 2-3 years back my dad started the tradition of sponsoring special lunch or breakfast on my bday to a oldage home in my hometown.

Every year dad and mom or my brother would go there and be with the old people at least for some time.. and I heard from my parents that everyone over there is really happy to see someone taking care of them and also I got lot of kind bday greetings from all those senior people..

It doesnt have to food or cloth, it can be anything which shows that someone cares for them.. Its really is a very good human thing to do..

:-D

6. meenu

meenu Bronze IL'ite

Dear All,
    It is a fantastic idea to share our celebrations with the less privileged.In fact they will also look forward to our important days of celebration:goodidea:
    Regards,
    Meenu

1 person likes this.
  7. SubhaD

SubhaD New IL'ite

Great idea, Radha!
    That's what we do here in our family. It is easy for us since we run schools and a children's home for kids of the lower socio-economic group. Well -wishers sponsor a child [fees, books and uniforms] by creating an endowment in their loved ones' names, or contribute for a day's meal on their family occassions. We also provide nutritious porridge [ with mixed cereals] once a week for the 600 kids in our primary school. All this is done by the way you have mentioned.
    All is not lost. There are many, many good souls on this earth of ours!

8. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

hey

This is a noble thing to do. in our family we always do it, watever the occassion is, we give out something to poor. there was this temple wich had cooks of its own and used to host bhandara everyday, so we used to give them ration, like, ata and rice or milk or tea sugar etc so that something can be made for the poor next morning only...

well everyone should think of doing something for the underprivliged, and for doing that one just has to find a way...

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

There is an age old custom in the Namboodiri caste in Kerala. Before having dinner at night, they have to call out for anyone who is hungry and feed them. I do not know if they practise it now.
    My husband's colleague is running an orphanage. We contribute a good sum at the start of the academic year for books etc. and also other times. I do not celebrate the special days with parties. Just some sweets or payasam at home and pooja at temples for the well being.

10. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Although personally i didn't do much, but last year around thanksgiving We donate baby foods/clothes/ baby formula/baby diapers etc. & we really felt good that we did something for orphan kids. Hopefully we'll do more every year.