1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

"Best out of waste",support my thread

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sankasailaja, Feb 17, 2007.

did u like my thread

1. yes

131 vote(s)
    99.2%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi! indusladies,
    Here is a recipe i used to make from leftover rice.
    Suppose 1 cup of cooked rice is there
    Take equal quantity (1 cup) of rice flour
    Add 1 medium size onion chopped
    1 green chilly chopped finely
    little coriander & curryleaves chopped
    little grated carrot
    Mix all the above ingredients with salt and little water.
    The dough should be like chappathi dough.
    Leave it for half an hour.
    Spread it on a plantain leaf or on a polythene cover
    with your hand.
    heat tawa and cook these rice spread adding 1/4 tsp
    oil till both the sides well cooked
    you can also add red chilly powder or pepper powder instead of green chilly.
    Enjoy eating with tomato sauce or pudina chutney.

2. mslakshmi

mslakshmi Senior IL'ite

Hi Sailaja

Its a v v nice idea. Actually I am also interested in doing Best out of Waste.
    Your idea is v good and nice to prepare even for kids too.
    gr8 idea.
    Keep it up
    waiting to share more ideas
    hv fun
    M S Lakshmi:thumbsup

3. mslakshmi

mslakshmi Senior IL'ite

Hi Sailaja
    As I said before I am also interested to do things best out of waste.

V receive lot of Sweet Boxes during festival seasons. Somme r hving small partitions with gold/silver colours.

I hv covered outside box with cloth and edgs i hv decorated with stones and other stitching material. I took one red satin cloth (got it from my tailor leftover piece) n frilled and arranged as a border to that box. It has become nice partition box with decoration. My second DIL's mummy wil celebrate DASARA keeping DOlls, so I gave her as my gift, so that she wil keep different sizes of pics in those partitions.

I also made one more thing with Flower bq holder.
    I got many FBs with different shapes of holders. I took one and decorated it with cloth flowers, laces, chips and some stitched material through out and kept the Bamboo Tree in that. It is my show piece in my drawing room. Last year I made one and now I replaced that with a new one.

Tour soaps small size v wil get in the kirana shop. V can make show piece with that too. For this v need
    1. small soap with oval shape 2.alpins(gundu sudulu) 3 small cloth lace/wool of diff. shades
    First v hv to pin all the alpins around the soap in three rows.
    then starting from the bottom go around the alpin first one step n second step n come down step by step surrounding the alpin. Like wise fill all the alpins. On the top u wil get some space in that keep small cloth flowers or any other decorative pieces. Bottom line wil become as stand. I kept flowers in one which is made of cloth lace and small dalpins in another one which is made of wool. They look v pretty.

I think u like this.

I am also waiting for more ideas from more ILS too.

OK Hv fun bi bi
    M S Lakshmi:idea

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2009
  4. Melveena

Melveena New IL'ite

very interesting thread...i can learn lots from here !!!

5. simi001

simi001 Senior IL'ite

Hello everyone

Must say its an very interesting thread, loads of useful ideas.
    Little input from my side

At times we do tend to have old wooden center table or coffee tables at home, do not discard them....... rather u can reuse it like antique furniture.
    Stick ( colored stones, shells, beads , small artificial flowers ) anything that is available...... create a design of your own. then top it up with clear glass
    slab..... Ola! here ur antique table is ready:)

- To make candle stands....u can use flat round stones... color them of your choice and then stick a candle to it.

- Old nail polishes can be used to color old paper photo frames , the kind of glossy look u'll get makes them look as good as new.

1 person likes this.
  6. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Very nice thread and very useful!

I use old cracked ice cube trays to hold my jewellery,( the regular artificial ones)
    Can also try with egg carton but make sure it is clean.

Use the old shower curtains to line the trunk, or car seat when i go to garden center to buy plants, soil etc so the seat/trunk etc doesn't get dirty.

I also use good sturdy cardboard boxes (decorated with gift wrapper) in the trunk to hold stuff, easy to carry back home, so we dont get plastic covers from the shop.

old tshirts, can be cut into strips and crocheted into mats/coasters/baskets
    Another person had posted abt the plastic bag strips, similar method but we can also use old dupattas/saree etc.

for chiffon dupattas, try a thin lining cloth for it and make table runners/ table covers/ pillow covers etc , do some good embroidery/bead work etc on it to give a rich look.
    if embroidery is done on chiffon duppattas, could be used as curtains too.
    if it is white chiffon, u can use it as it is for curtains, liners etc.

Batik, tie n die duppattas, sarees etc can be used mix match to make long tiered skirts which are in fashion today.

Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  7. mahiramki

mahiramki Gold IL'ite

good thread.... and nice idea

8. yahu

yahu Silver IL'ite

very nice threads and congrats all the ilites who have posted such a useful information.

9. vathsala30

vathsala30 Platinum IL'ite

Excellent and very useful thread indeed. Hats off to whoso ever started this thread

Here, i would like to share one tip
    If any cooking oil is spilled in the kitchen platform, dont wipe it with a cloth or something else making the place and the cloth greasy. just sprinkle some wheat flour on it ( provided the place is clean) and collect the atta and use it for making chapathi. In this way the oil can be reused and also the place where the oil is spilled looks absolutely clean without washing with the soap and water

10. krvchitra

krvchitra Bronze IL'ite

very interesting shall post my ideas too .