1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best cooking oil?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by sheeba, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Oil suitable for Indian Style Cooking

Hello,

I have been searching for a good cooking oil that I can get in these grocery stores here in the US. Though I find a variety of oils, not sure which ones would best suit the Indian Style of cooking and healthy too.

Please can anyone help with some recommendations. Thanks.

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Ladies,

"Iniya Thamizh Puthandu Vazhthukal"

"Happy Vishu"

Sheeba,

Try Wessen's vegetable oil. It is good for frying and goes well with Indian food.

3. Madrasmami

Madrasmami New IL'ite

Hello Sheeba,
    Gingely oil is the best oil for health. It is manufactured from Sesame seeds. It is called as Nalla Ennai and it most aptly justifies its name. The gingely oil is also most suitable for hair massage. I remember the olden days when our grand mas used do the ritual of hair washing with the help of gingely oil. Try out any good brand of gingely oil and you will not look for any other cooking oil.
    Bye and happy cooking.

4. sheeba

sheeba Junior IL'ite

Indian type oils are very costly being imported

Hi Madrasmami,

Thanks for your message about Gingely oil and its benefits. I used to cook in gingely oil and sunflower oil back in India.

But in the US, though I find few brands of them in the Indian grocery stores they are quiet expensive being imported. I saw most of the people here (including Indians) buying corn oil, olive oil and vegetable oil for cooking. Not sure what brand is good and which one best suits Indian style of cooking I was trying to find out from people in this forum living in US.

5. garima goel

garima goel New IL'ite

HI SHEEBA,

i use OLIVE OIL for cooking. and i read somewhere that its the healthiest oil.

just a suggestion.

u can get a big can from COSTCO labelled as PURE OLIVE OIL.

cheers!

garima

6. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Hi ladies,

With so many cooking oils available in the market,i m very confused about which oil to choose for cooking.Experienced ladies out there can u pls.suggest me the best cooking oil to use in USA and also the best one to use in India too (thats for my mom who is chronic hypertensive).Also any healthy choice of food for treating hypertension.?Friends pls. pour in your thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I personally use olive oil for much of my cooking. For deep frying or where I need to add more oil, I use Canola. I feel we should not use excess of any one product in case some new study crops up showing its disadvantages. I also try out other oils once in a way, like corn and vegetable. In any case, avoid saturated fats and butter.

L, Kamla

8. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Hi Selvi,

As Kamala suggested, I too use Canola and Olive oil the most. Initially I never used to like the taste of Olive oil in our cooking, but now I like it so much esp in Pulavs...I feel it adds some extra taste to it.

-Sihi

9. crownlak

crownlak New IL'ite

Hi,
    I heard that olive oil is good for health. But with so many types of olive oils out there (extra virgin, light, extra light, etc etc), can anyone suggest which one of these will work better for our Indian cooking.

thanks,
    Lakshmi

10. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hello!

I use extra virgin olive oil without fail for all types of cooking. Occasionally I use a bit of ghee or coconut oil if I want my dish very authentic, and of course canola oil for deep frying.

Hope this helps, works well 4 me, and is healthier!

Regards,
    Vish xx