1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best breastpump for working women in India?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by megsmom, Nov 27, 2009.

1. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

Hi,

I have a three month old daughter and need to return to work in a months time. I want to exclusively BF my DD for six months and am in search of a good pumping machine.

Upon reading different reviews, I found that the Madela pump in style is the most convenient one. But the price seems to be exorbitant in India (around Rs. 24000).

I would like to know from other working moms in India about the brands they are using and what works best for them.

Also, has anybody purchased the Madela pump-in-style in the US and using it in India with the help of a converter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Megsmom, I found battery operated pumps (not double like Medela PISA) in Mothercare Chennai for something like 5 to 6 K. So I am a little surprised at the PISA price you mention. Have you looked at their single pump Symphony or Swing.
    I have to say I do like Medela products a lot, but Philips Avent pumps are good too. Ameda Purely Yours is another double pump like PISA that a lot of working mothers in the US use and supposedly very competitive price wise. I am not sure about its availability in India though.
    (Not a Work out of home, but Work from Home mom - may not be the perspective you want)

3. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Thanks much for your response.

I have seen the Medela mini-electric breastpump for around 5300 and the Medela Swing for around 10000. For the PISA I called the Medela rep in India and he quoted this price. I was not very surprised since it costs around $275 in the US.

I will check about the availability of Ameda brand in India.

Regards

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

hey tikka - I have heard about Avent bottles, but not abt Medela. I would like to buy a BPump that has attached feeding bottles.
    1. Has anyone here used Avent bottles?
    2. What size of nipples are used for 3+months? The catalogue shows size 2, but I am not sure if it is more for LO.

5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya, Check out your "Bottle or not" thread. I have replied and I have used Avent bottles, am happy with the bottle and the nipple :)

6. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

thanks pon. i haven't seen anyone talk abt medela feeding bottles. so wanted to know how they are. If i use a medela pump, then shud i transfer it to avent bottles to feed ?

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

megsmom.... u dont want to buy mini electric, i just chked the pump is SO LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!! the nxt house could hear.... theres a video on youtube for the same, its extremely loud!

hv u chkd out avent electric pump? its aroud 9k... u might want to go for any but mini electric, its very loud!

tikka likes this.
  9. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

on similar notes i was planning to buy tommy tippie manual pump... looked impressive n has good reviews..but then i wld be using it occassionally, say once a day or so

10. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Oh, thanks for the note Poo. I had been wanting to buy one from mothercare, but there just was not enough time for it when DS was born, so we had ordered the Medela pump from the distributor directly. Maybe a review of all pumps used by the moms here may be useful... What say Vanathi and Latha, could we please have a sticky on the reviews of breastpumps here.