1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best Brand Yarn

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Ammukutty, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Friends,
    Which brand yarn are you all using for your knitting & crochet projects?Ususally there will be sale going on various brands.I think Bernat brand is mostly for crochet/knitting baby items.How about Vanna's choice,Redheart,Peaches n Cream.Please pour in your suggestions.

Ammu

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Peaches n cream is cotton, so i mostly use it for potholder, red heart is cheap but i feel it is good for scarf, caps, rugs, afghans. for wearables better to go for different brands the more expensive ones. i like lion brand too, they have a variety of yarns, different textures and types like chenile and velvette types.

3. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Chaaral .Iam a beginner in Crochet& last week there was some sale in the craft shop & I was pretty much confused seeing the variety & cart load of yarn that people bought.I will check out your suggestions.

Ammu

4. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Ammu;
    My crochet group swears by Red Heart:). For my first class I had purchased peaches and cream. They told me that red heart-4 ply-worsted is the best, especially for beginers.
    -Nitha

5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Nitha, i too used red heart for beginning,but once i started using fancy yarns, i liked those much better as the crocheted item looks more attractive in those fancy yarns.
    also if u are making pot holders, then better to use cotton. all those potholders i made initially while learning with redheart yarn are not used now.
    have u tried crochet with threads?

6. reshsabu

reshsabu Gold IL'ite

Ammu,

If you have a Hobby Lobby store nearby, then do check out their "I Love This Yarn" . They have a good selection of colors and I find the quality a lot better than Red Heart.

The price is is about 2.8 USD, but then they often have the 40% off coupon. So, you can get it for about 1.7USD.

For baby projects you could try "I Love This Sport" yarn at Hobby Lobby.
    My favourite yarn for baby projects is Bernat and "I Love This Sport".

Though I have read good reviews about Vanna's yarn I found it just okay.. nothing great about it.

7. Ammukutty

Ammukutty Bronze IL'ite

sorry for the late reply....
    Nitha I havent tried peaches n cream;they look cute though.Should give it a try.Eventhough I havent used redheart they look very rough to me:bonk
    Resh dear me too a fan of "I love this yarn "& try to grab it when there is coupon/any offer.Recently I completed a pair of baby booties with bernat:bananaWill check "I love this sport".Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009