Best Bank To Open Nre Or Nri Account Please Help!

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by penpaal, Mar 4, 2017.

1. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

I need to open an NRI account in India .Which bank you suggest .Please share your experience with different banks.

First I had one in Indian bank but Everytime I need to transfer money it needed an Indian number for otp and they won't keep US number so it never worked.

Then opened in bank of India again same scenario it will take only Indian number for otp and being in US I don't have Indian number .

Please share your experience . How you guys manage this dilemma ?
    In which bank you got good money transfer rate and good customer service .

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Citinri I am using , no problems for me. conversion rate , I didn't know bank fixes that.
    You can do all things being in usa with this bank

Open Nri
    Nre not much use, i had and no transactions in it , so closed it. it only takes $ i think,

penpaal likes this.
  3. deepv

deepv Platinum IL'ite

yes we also using CItnrii bank. so convenient.

penpaal likes this.
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

With free incoming sms keeping your local sim charged helps. If the vendors and beneficiaries are already registered it is not that difficult.

I still get the otp sms on my indian sim when i am abroad. My bankers are indian nationalised banks
    @KashmirFlower the banks have a rate for buying and selling a litte different from your live converters like xe.

penpaal and KashmirFlower like this.
  5. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi thank you so much for your reply. Does Citibank need any Indian mobile number ? To send one time password ?( Whenever you do money transaction and add new beneficiaries ?)

6. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi thank you for your reply..
    How do you get SMS in your Indian number when you are abroad ? Did you on your international roaming ?

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

No i don't use post paid. It is pre paid but the service provider debits a amount and i do get all my sms on the number. I feel it is fine.

8. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,
    if it is only a question of getting the OTP abroad, you can download the app for OTP generation online, which banks like SBI and ICICI bank have. I had used this option to generate OTP online when I was abroad for some three months. I now continue to use the same in India now, as it more convenient that waiting for SMS through phone.
    Hope this helps.

9. penpaal

penpaal Gold IL'ite

Hi @joylokhi thanks for that..My only issues is about otp . Without which I am. It able to process .. I had no idea about such an app.. I need to check if ( bank of India) or (Indian bank) has it !! Else I have to open another NRI account in different bank it seems .. anyway thank you for your tip..

10. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

you can use your parents (or someone else) Indian phone number. Try to do the transaction during Indian times and then you can just give them a call to know the OTP> but be aware that they will also get other text messages like funds transfer complete, FD of amount XXX is created etc. So only give the number of someone who you trust