1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best automatic Sewing m/c model in USA for Starters??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by usr12, Nov 30, 2009.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I used to sew about two garments a week for myself but haven't been doing that for sometime as I have downsized my interest. Yes feel free to contact me and I will help you as I can. Are you using USA commercial patterns? The will have listed on the back the recommended fabrics for that pattern. Also one thing, be sure to buy good quality thread as a learner...it helps a lot.

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thankyou! WOW!! two garments in one week! I think i will do one for 2 months,lol.Not yet started with commercial patterns available here. I just look at those everytime i go to the store.as of now just using ds's old pants as pattern to make new lounge pants. i made some with fleece for winter and he loves it. other than that just making pillow covers, iron board cover ,alterations etc. not yet started with my clothes. mom sent me a big pack of thread from india, coats brand which is good i think.

3. tashidelek2002

Charaal:
    For fleece you should use the 3in1 stretch straight stitch and make them big not short. Are you finishing your edges on the other stuff? It will make them last longer.

As for patterns sometimes you can find them at used stores but if the sheet has been cut apart its possible that some pieces are missing. Kids patterns will be safe and not so style specific. If you buy at a store a new one, I would start with a kids pattern and make it one with several sizes so you can use for several years. If you are going to use just once then you can cut out the preferred size (that used to be what everyone did as patterns were cheap) but if using for several years you can trace out the size on tracing paper (you can get rolls of that at art supply stores).

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Will look into 3 in 1 straight stitch.i dont have a serger to finish the edges, once i just did zigzag for the edges. for pillow covers etc i folded the edges and did straight stitch. may be later once i really get into full swing i am thinking of buying a used serger.
    i have been looking online for patterns but still i need to read more abt how to use the paper patterns. never used a pattern. i have cut fabric for pocket tissue cover for christmas gifts. how far are you with the dress?

5. tashidelek2002

Chaaral:
    I am running behind (of course and my own fault) on the dress as I decided to change the material. My goddaughter is going to India (Ooty) in Feb and I decided that the velveteen was over kill and would get ruined so I am going for pinwale purple corduroy. Durable yet pretty for the trip and for school. She is in kindergarten and is a size 5. I had to wash and dry the corduroy and I will cut it out tonight. I bought a New Look style 6309 pattern at Walmart yesterday and it goes size 3 to 8. I am going to cut out the size 5 and then use the same pattern further cut down to size 3 for my other little girl.

I am posting a stitch guide for some unknown machine but we can use it for reference about what stitches are helpful.

The stitches that are the most helpful are:
    01 straight stitch for seams on wovens and for topstitiching
    02 stretch straight stitch for seams on stretch fabrics of all kinds
    07 this is good for either finishing edges (doesn't pucker like zipzag) or to make a pseudo overlook seam (sew the seam and then trim to the edge of the zigzag looking part). I don't recommend this for seams as they can be a little bulky and they are almost impossible to rip out if you goof up.
    09 is hemming for wovens....a god send when you get used to it. You can hem up really fast with this stitch and it will also pull in on hems that need gathering like on circle skirts.
    10 hemming on stretch garments
    27 buttonhole. The best buttonholes are made by the Singer attachment for buttonholes that runs on cogs...but this is fine for most normal purposes.

Don't hurry to get a serger...you can finish seams nicely by a variety of methods including the one that you used. I normally finish the edges with 07 and then stitch the seam with 01. You can also buy binding or use a french seam if the bulk will not be a problem. Sergers are fast but once you do it change is not always possible as they cut off the seam allowance. Also they are thread hogs and you have to have several spools in order to use it and then you have it left over.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  6. geetha mahesh

geetha mahesh Bronze IL'ite

I got a sewing machine for 15 dollars.It is working great.Atleast I am able to stitch my nighties from India whose stitiches become lose once u wash here..name is STYLE ELEMENTS:cheers

7. vijendrasnv

vijendrasnv New IL'ite

Would you please tell your range for your sewing machine.
    Singer is the best company for sewing machine but the cost is little high plus other charges also.
    Thanks.:hide:
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

8. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am looking at 100$ - to max 150$ kind of range.. Also planning to buy a new one from walmart/Sears so that I can return it easily incase of problems.. I am looking at automatic(I mean where there is no need to pedal etc as I have never used a sewing m/c before).

I read many bad reviews about Brother/Singer m/c on various sites and hence confused about the model..Hence could someone please suggest the specific machine model fitting my budget. My requirements are

1. Should be able to use for alterations/ stiching new clothes one in a while.
    2. Few embroidary capabilities if possible
    3.Automatic and esy to use for beginners..

Thanks very much For all your inputs :thumbsup.

9. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much for the stitch guide. will check it with my machine's stitches. last 15 days we have been sick.
    did you complete the dress? corduroy would be lovely.waiting to see the finished pic.