1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best automatic Sewing m/c model in USA for Starters??

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by usr12, Nov 30, 2009.

1. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

Hi ILs ,

Have you come across any good deals on automatic sewing machines in USA ? Can you please suggest a good sewing m/c model (In other threads I read recomendations for Singer /Brother) , But can someone pls tell me which particular model I should buy.. My requirements are

1. I have no idea as to how to operate a sewing m/c, so I am looking for an automatic one (where there is no need to pedal for stitching) ..

2. Portable one which can be used for basic stitching with some embroidary features if possible..

Thanks very much !

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009

2. sushmasantosh

sushmasantosh New IL'ite

Hi USR12,
    Sorry i cannot help you but i too want to buy one that you mentioned.please anybody help.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Usr: can you please give a price range for a machine?

4. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    You can go for brother.I bought it when we were in oman.A compact automatic one with basic stitching and some simple embroidery options as well.

5. priyasuresh11

priyasuresh11 Senior IL'ite

I hope the price will be around 150$.

6. usr12

usr12 New IL'ite

Thanks very much tashidelk2002 and priya for your responses.

tashidelk2002 >> I am looking for something in the range of 100$ -Can go up little higher as this is a kind of a one time buy for me ..Pls share if you know of any good models..

Priya - >What is the model no for the Brother one ? .Pls specify.

Thanks again..

7. tashidelek2002

Usr: the reason I asked is the very good quality new machines are pretty pricey and the cheaper ones you get what you pay for. If it was me, I would go for a used machine from some repair shop that sells used machines or from a newspaper ad if you understand the models (you can research it before viewing via internet) or from a dealer on the eBay. The reasons for my recommendation are these:
    1. many buy a machine and use it little so they can be virtually new when buying used
    2. the used machine will be greatly discounted so you get more for your money
    3. many older machines were made of all metal not plastic parts and are much better

I would go to a shop and talk to them and see what they have or go on eBay and see what they are selling. Singers are good, I like Necchi which the stitch formation is mechanically formed so it is better for sewing thick items like jeans, Bernina of course is about the best but they are so high now ($2000) that they are probably not going to be available. Brother will also be fine. Just see what you can get and try it out before buying. If it won't work for you in front of the saleperson go elsewhere.

8. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I also agree with Tina's suggestions. the newer singer models are not good. even the brother as so flimsy and cheap parts. my mom's older brother machine is so sturdy and good and not at all like the newer ones we get today.
    try to go to a sewing machine store where the salesperson can show you how to use it and you can also try it, they will also give you few free classes on how to sew. if u dont like it or want to upgrade it you can return it in the same store and exchange or pay little more for a higher end model later when u are a pro.
    kenmore ones are good. i bought a 200$ kenmore machine and love it.
    You can also buy used machines for lesser price, but check well before you buy used ones.
    if u are going to a store, take some different fabric with you to do a test and see how comfortable you are.

Tina,
    Do you sew? which machine do u have?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. tashidelek2002

Chaaral:
    Yes I sew: my degree is in apparel with a concentration in apparel construction. I used to work as an industrial engineer for a Fortune 500 apparel manufacturer. I got kind of burned out on home sewing when I used to work in the plant.

My machines are old but fit my purposes adequately. I have an old Singer Athena 1060 (an early electronic) that is good for lighter duty sewing, a Necchi multistitch that I like for heavier work, and a vintage Singer straight stitch from the 50's. The Necchi is good for heavier because the stitchese are formed mechanically instead of electronically which gives the ability to stitch jeans. The old Singer straight stitch is a very sought after model which I have seen selling on eBay for like $400 as the straight stitch is so wonderfully formed and uniform it is hard to beat. It probably sold for $50 back when it was new. Stored I have a treadle machine from 1895 with all the attachments so I am ready to sew Victorian dresses should the need arise. It is in mint condition also.

Necchi's are used in a lot of high school sewing classes here in USA. A very straightforward machine. When I was in Colorado I answered an ad in the paper as the local Necchi headquarters was selling excess machines at the Holiday Inn. I liked it so much I bought it. I think that if you call the headquarters in Denver they may have deals even now.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2010
  10. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Wow, thats great! i will look into necchi machines. never knew abt it. i have been enjoying sewing now, but just to sit down and get started is soo difficult with a very active toddler and a new baby. do you sew ur clothes?
    So next time if i have doubts regarding types of fabric etc i can ask you?