"Besan-Cooking" Contest 2008 - Entries

Discussion in 'Cookery Contest Recipes' started by Chitvish, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

BESAN PUMPKIN SHEERA...

1 CUP BESAN( fresh n nichly roasted in a little ghee)
    1 cup grated red pumpkin.
    3/4 cup brown sugar( normal white sugar too will do)
    1 tbsp finely grate lemon n orange rind.
    2 tbsp honey.
    2 tbsp raisins.
    1/4 tsp dry ginger powder.
    mixed nuts chopped 3 tbsp..(almond ..cashew)
    1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
    a pinch of nutmeg powder.
    1/2 cup ghee.

METHOD

Roast besan in a little ghee till well roasted n raw smell vanishes.Keep aside.

Mix the grated pumpkin, sugar, honey,orange rind, cardamom powder,dry ginger powder
    in a heavy bottomed pan.
    Place the the pan on low heat n keep stirring till the grated pumpkin dissolves n cooked
    n the mixture thickens slightly.
    Add the well roasted besan n mix n cook for a few min on low flame till it is well cooked .
    Add the ghee ,spices, and raisins...
    Stir well , continue cooking till the mixture is almost dry and leaves the sides of the pan
    Remove from heat n pour the mixture into buttered paper n sprinkle with nuts and roll up.
    Cool and cut into slices..

If uu don't have buttered paper at home...just serve sprinkled with nuts...n uu too enjoy....

NOTE...adjust sugar to ur taste...

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2008
  2. vidhyamurali

vidhyamurali New IL'ite

Hi guys
    Was reading thru all ur besan recipes very inviting and good pictures too .Sometime back I read about left over batter too, so tried to combine the two

Quick Snack
    Left over Idli batter - 1 cup
    Besan - 1/2 cup
    Onions - chopped small - 2 nos
    Chilli powder/ green chillies - to taste
    ginger - 1/2 inch piece crushed
    dhania leaves - a few
    salt to taste

Mix all make a firly thick batter, drop in spoonfuls like fritters and fry in hot oil
    Alternatively, pour in paniyaara mould and turn when done

enjoy cooking & serving

Love
    Vidhya Murali
    Lusaka Zambia

3. AnithaA

AnithaA Bronze IL'ite

Dear Shanvy,

Your besan idli does look very tempting! As it happens, my husband doesn't like our "normal" idlis. He says "idlis and dosais are just various shapes of the same batter"! I will try your stuffed idlis and see if I have any success with making him relish idlis! :)

Regards,
    Anitha

4. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

CHANA BATATA....

INGREDIENTS :

"½ Kg. Potatoes...BOILED .
    2 cups full white chana(chicpeas)soaked over night in plain water.
    4 Onions, finely Chopped
    2 tbsp Coriander leaves, Cleaned and Chopped
    3 tbsp Oil
    1 tsp tsp Chili powder
    4 - 5 Green Chilies, Chopped
    1 tsp each ginger garlic pasTE
    1 tsp coriander seeds lightly crushed
    2 tsp Tamarind Pulp
    2 tbsp Besan (Gram Flour)
    2 tsp Cumin Seeds
    Few Curry Leaves
    Salt to taste
    Juice of 2 Lemons..

METHOD :

Soak the Channa overnight in water. Peel and cut the boiled Potatoes into small pieces. Heat the Oil in a pan and add the Onions. Fry for about 5 minutes. Add the Curry leaves, Cumin seeds, Salt, Chili powder and Green Chilies. Stir well. Add Gram flour and fry well. Then add the Channa and mix again. Add water right to the brim of the pan and let it cook on high heat until the water reduces to the level of Channa. Lower the heat and cook on a low heat.Add the cubed potatoes n cook till the Channa and Potatoes are cooked and soft.
    Add Salt, Tamarind pulp,Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve with crushed coriander seeds...uu can adjust the hotness of chillies according to ur taste....

Attached Files:

5. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hello moon beams
    thanks for ur enthu to try my receipe .u really hav a lovely collection of besan receipe n truly a "besan queen".pls do post ur receipes as v beginners can try it out.even though i hav started cooking frm past 1 year , being with the indusladies family esp Chitvish forum its pretty easy to learn n ofcourse master the skill.this is the first time i hav prepared ladoos as well as taking part in competition ,but iam as happy as winning the prize as my family showed me more happiness in themaccepting my laddooos whole heartedly.

thanks n warm regards
    raji

6. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Re: Shall we try "Besan-Cooking" this month, Friends? - Contest for February 2008.

Computer Typing This is my last entry.....in this thread... all through this contest it was BESAN, BESAN in my home.....

BESAN BURFI SQUARES..

Fresh Besan 1 cup.
    Ghee 1/2 cup.
    crumbled paneer 1/2 cup
    Cramelized condensed milk 200 gm.
    Milk 1 cup.
    2tbsp nuts grinded into paste... paste must b thick..(almonds cashew or ur choice)
    1/2 tsp cardamom powder.
    A few strands of saffron .
    Sliced nuts 3 tbsp.

METHOD.

Roast besan on low FLAME till raw smell vanishes n nice aroma comes.KEEP ASIDE.

In another steel or glass vessel mix milk , condensed milk ,cardamom powder ,saffron crushed,crumbled paneer and nut paste throughly.

Mix this milk mixture into the roasted besan n cook for a few min. Till the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.Sprinkle in half of the sliced nuts n mix throughly.

set in a greased plate n sprinkle with nuts.Cut into desired shape when still warm...
    ENJOY....

Attached Files:

• bs.JPG
      bs.JPG
      File size:
      11.4 KB
      Views:
    • bsp.JPG
      bsp.JPG
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  7. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    This is something from my end .We always wonder what next and best use can be made of spring onions excepting for using it in Chinese delicacies..
    My reciepe makes the use of Besan and Spring onions
    Besan and Spring onion Subji
    Ingredients
    Spring Onion one stock
    Besan -Quarter cup
    Jeera/Cumin seeds 1tsp
    Red Chilli pwd
    Salt
    Hing
    Haldi/Tumeric pwd
    Rai
    Oil
    Procedure
    First cut the spring onions then fry it in oil .Ensure that the bulbs are not chopped .Just chop the leaves and retain the whole bulb,in this case it will be better if your spring onions have smaller bulbs .Keep frying till leaves have changed colour and the onion has turned transulcent.Remove the same and keep it aside .In the same oil you could add little more oil if you wish add rai let it splutter, add Hing , then add Besan and fry till its leaves the raw smell, add haldi ,salt and redchilli pwd then add the fried spring onions ..and toss again .add salt acc to taste. sprinkle little water and keep it closed for 2 min ... and Your Subji is ready..
    The same procedure can be followed using Capsicum too
    Thankyou
    I hope you will like the receipe​

8. Moonbeams

Moonbeams Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ramyasri
    Ur besan spring onion sabji must taste awesome..I mostly cook this way with potatoes, peas capsicim,carrot n spring onions together...