1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of the Glycemic Index

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by puni88, Jan 18, 2008.

1. aswini

aswini Senior IL'ite

Lower the better I think.
    In general, the lease processed foods will have low GI - whole grains, vegetables, legumes. If you add more veggies and fiber to the meal, the ultimate GI will be lower. Since GI is an index to measure the rise in blood sugar level, we need to choose foods that would not rise the blood sugar too fast. Lets say you usually have one cup rice, if you add veggies to your rice while cooking and when you measure one cup of rice later you will prably have 60% rice 40% veggies - This will lower the GI since you are replacing a 40% of high GI food(rice) with a low GI food. I hope I am making sense :)

A simple rule for a meal is 1/2 plate veggies, 1/4 plate starch, 1/4 plate protein ( This was suggested by my physician). Add a "little" healthy fat to the meal.

2. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Punita,

Thanks for your effort.

The concept of Glycemic Index came up in early eighties. It is actually the effect of carbohydrates on blood sugars. Carbohydrates that break down quickly and release sugar into blood quickly are called high GI carbohydrates.(eg) cornflakes and potatoes. And, those who break down slowly and release sugar into blood slowly were called low GI carbohydrates.(eg), whole grains and fruits. The main application was in the management of Diabetes.

In nineties, by experience, it is learnt that prescribing carbohydrate diet, based on Glycemic Index has lost its charm. Because in real clinical practice, the success of the concept was very less.

Every one here is excited to look at something novel and different, for weight reduction. But, do you really find the concept of High GI food and Low GI food, useful in weight reduction ?

In practice, we do not find any application for this concept, both in diabetes as well as in obesity management. Because, available clinical evidence does not support the utility of this concept any more.

If you have any evidence of this concept working well in obesity management, please provide the same here. I want to learn from it.