1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bending to LO's height-How to avoid

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Sujimallige, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Hello friends,

We mothers always have to bend to do many of our chores,like feeding the kids,cleaning them,monitoring whats in their hands and so many other things.I feel like practically i am bending half the day.As a result i have breaking back pain.Like i feel pain in my back 24/7 since past one month.

Can you please share tips as to how to avoid bending to their heights.We cant even carry them for long as now they are little heavy to carry.And even constant carrying increases back pain.

Please share how you manage.

thanks,
    suji

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Suji,

during pregnancy i got into the habit of bending on my knees to avoid backaches. that's kind of gotten as a practice for me. try that. carrying - my 5 yr old asks us to carry him very very rarely. only if we made him walk way beyond his limit. my girl doesn't like to be carried which is a bit of nuisance for me right now:(

3. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Suji, I try to avoid too much bending.

Feeding - try feeding with a high chair or having LO sit on a booster seat. If feeding using high chair, I pull up a chair in front of him and sit.

Changing - I used a changing table until baby was around 15 months, now I change solied diaper on the changing table. Wet diapers I change with him standing up on the floor and me kneeling on the floor.

Bathing - We have a deep bathtup and I sit on the tub while I bathe my son. You may want to put a chair near the tub while bathing if you are using regular bathtup. If he is smaller, you can use the over-the-sink baby bathtub.

Like Latha said, bending on the knees, or even kneeling down to the child's level (to comfort, hug etc) helps rather than always bending your back.

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Even I have the same back pain issue.
    I try doing the same thing by bending on knees, however I get pain in Knees too sometimes.

Hot water fermentation for the back helped me a bit.

5. Sujimallige

Sujimallige Bronze IL'ite

Thanks latha,pavarun and ptamil for the reply.

I shall try to bend using knees as much as i can.Bathing and stuff i can use the ideas as i have a small chair that fits the tub but feeding is still an issue.She just dosent want to sit in the high chair.Infact she has never done since we have bought it,just waste of money.

Ptamil,what is hot water fermentation,is it something like hot pack that we use post pregnancy?

I had a miscarriage recently,i feel that is adding to my back ache problems.But am not sure if there is any link betn miscarriage and back ache.

Ptamil take care of your knees,eat more calcium.
    Latha,yes anything the kids do in excess is a pian,like your dd refusing to be carried.

suji

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Suji,

whenever you feel the strain in your back just sit down for a while and relax. i get back ache before my periods and this is the best i can manage. yes it could be because of your miscarriage (so sorry about that!). also magnesium-calcium supplements help.

Latha

7. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Suji, how are doing now. Sorry about your recent pregnancy loss.
    I have just recently gotten better after a long, long stint with back pain. 5 physiotherapy sessions helped a lot. It is not worth having that pain when you have a little one to run after. I have been exercising too and that really helps. Maynot be what you wanted to hear, but I would tell any mom to straight away go to a physiotherapist or chirocpractor.
    It turns out, I have something called a twisted pelvis that happens commonly after childbirth and poor posture. Nearly 50 percent of mothers have it. Have your back evaluated. Good luck and hugs.