1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bend it like Beckham

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

That was one super movie shown in true desi style and No this is not about that movie at all but for the catch phrase “BEND”.
    A few years back when I was actively involved as a volunteer to help teach children at the temple, I used to notice that when they bend as to prostrate before God their underwear and sometimes more than that became visible to the viewing public.
    Initially I thought that the girls were not aware of this but then I learnt this is a new fashion statement.
    Apparently certain inner wear is sold so as to look attractive when someone bent.
    Now in day to day life the chances of us bending is quite limited and if I were to bend who is to see?
    The temple does seem to be a place where a lot of natural bending is possible and it occurs too.
    Now when I told the girls to wear a little longer top or something like a kurta all hell broke loose. Not only were the girls offended their mothers did not like it either!
    These days I see its more of a fashion statement with a bare midriff on display sometimes just an inch and more times many more.
    I am not sure if mothers have a say in these choice of clothes that girls wear though most mothers do take their daughters with them shopping.
    Needless to say in the public too bending or otherwise the midriff line does see a lot of action.
    Even boys and men also either wear it like so or resort to wearing pants that are so loose and hang down so much you wonder if the hip is holding it up or not!
    To think that at one time I thought wearing a shirt and pant was safe with more coverage than many other dress forms.

bendit.jpg

4 people like this.

2. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

I have rigid views on it. Temples/religious places should make dress code compulsory for both gender. No entry if one does not wish to conform.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Amigo you have done it again...mislead me with your title...last time it was rifles and this time its beckham...

.i had read this somewhere that even Barack Obama is against this so called fashion statement..But even he cant do anything about it...

Now some info on low waist jeans
    it all started in the prison. the people that got locked up there werent allowed to wear belts or shoelaces because they might hang themselves with it.so after that they didnt have anything to keep their pants up.. so they just let their pants hang low.. when they got out of prison, the teenagers saw it as a cool fashion statement and they dressed how the prisoners dressed.. I am sure teenagers dont know about it ... and have taken it as a fashion statement instead :)

2 people like this.
  4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear AC,

you know spoonerisms? I love them. We always told one another "your ship is slowing" to say your slip is showing :) Anyways, once at work, I did the same to a colleague, a younger woman who was also my friend, she still is! She was amused and said "she meant it to be that way". Okay, the next time something was showing I remembered her amused look and did not want to face that look again. So being the wiser one chose not to tell anything. She of course was offended!

Being an individual who has never been able to say the right thing at the right time, I have only learnt to adopt that amused look!

4 people like this.
  5. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Yes AC. I was shocked too when I heard that it is a fashion statement. :).... For once it felt nice to be outdated.

3 people like this.
  6. Anandchitra

Most temples in the US also double up as networking and community centers and while practice of religion takes place more at focus is the expensive sarees and jewelry to boot; In this situation the typical response is "Who is to bell the cat?"..

By enforcing any dress code not only are we bringing on frowning parents we are also dis alienating the youth!

7. Anandchitra

Love this one liner from you.. short sweet and crispy:) oh and reminds me of yummy :))

1 person likes this.
  8. Anandchitra

Dinny dear
    I did not know how the low jeans came up.. makes sense.

I am so glad I could mislead you with the title one more time.. this way its more fun for me.. haha..:))

1 person likes this.
  9. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

I am surprised you have only "heard" of it...:hide:
    :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Anandchitra

Dear Srama
    I too have indulged in those cute your ship.. is phrases... actually we would rush to say it and we did get a many a chance what with so many items so to say!
    An adult now.. amused look serves best going by your experience.

When teenage girls do it on purpose where teenage boys and so many more are present.. dont know.. I do feel so ancient when i see it done on purpose. I did speak up and for a while there was big improvement I have to say.. not sure if the change is permanent of temporary in nature and also its not for us to watch out for these "slips"

On a different note I too never figured to say the right thing at the right time.