1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Trolled And Bullied And Personally Attacked On Social Networking

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Needtobestrong, Aug 20, 2021.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Thanks , you have me a lot to think about...
    As you rightly said there are security and privacy issues in sharing personal info about ourselves and family in public. Really I feel surprised to see people posting so much in detail about their kid school, grades, their homemade location, school location, travel and vacation plans etc.
    I too believe in concepts of Nazar and avoid posting pics on social media, rather share directly in DM using mail or messaging app...
    Have advised my friend to be politically correct from now on.

Laks09 likes this.
  2. Needtobestrong

It is indeed her personal struggle which made her react so badly to this online bullying experience. Her husband is being verbally abusive these days..
    recently we friends, I,e a group of 5 had a conference phone call to catch up online...she told me she had finished her chores and made herself free for the call...as we were happily chatting, we heard her husband’s yelling in the background in their mother tongue “ what the hell are you doing, happily talking on phone . Who will dry the clothes? Useless.”.
    It was something like that. She had actually woken up early morning, dusted shelves, vacuumed the floors, washed the bathrooms and toilets, cooked, woke up and brushed teeth and bathed her toddler, made the child to sleep, and then had switched on washing machine and then connected call with the intention of drying clothes after machine cycle finishes.
    By then the clothes were washed and her husband could have dried clothes himself. Or reminded her silently without yelling. Or waited for her to dry clothes after she finished her call..instead he yelled at her in an uncivilised and abusive way such that we all could hear. It was very shocking.
    She was already very upset, then this online bullying.
    She was having an anxiety attack .
    It was very tough to make my friend calm down. I really felt bad. Hence had posted here,
    Anyway now that she understood what went wrong , she has decided to stay off social media , rather sort out the mess in her life and connect with real people who care for her and understand her.
    I too have learnt a lesson from this and going to be a private person as I always was. Over sharing anything, whether personal details or personal opinions is so risky these days.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    anika987, Laks09 and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I enjoyed reading this apt feedback.

Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Her situation is seeming to be more and more unlike the usual SAHM dilemma. She seems to be in a bad relationship. Going to work is probably not the solution to all her relationship issues. Unfortunately, it’s your friend. Unless she sees it, you can’t point it out. Be there for her and hear her out. I hope she sees that this isn’t normal or regular.

5. Needtobestrong

True but being financially independent is one of the first thing that a woman should do if she feels her marriage isn’t working out..
    Especially during this pandemic, husband and wife are both stuck together for long duration and have increased financial insecurities and domestic burdens, this aggravates existing conflicts.
    Yes, there are many other issues to sort out and we are helping her and hearing her out.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes in life, instead on why things happened and feeling bad about it..it’s better to take it as lessons, learn from it and move on.It will help heal better.Who is right or wrong is not the issue..each one is right from their perception and arguing is futile.Either we hit back hard and take back the hits,else be diplomatic and protect ourselves. was a hard hitting lesson I learnt which was past due.
    financial independence is one thing but there are some women who work outside and still are at the mercy of their husbands and in-laws.Many do not even get a hold of their salary.They have internal problems which they cannot even vent out.At the same time,there are homemakers who are respected in their households and have full financial freedom over the monetary which is brought to the house.Their contribution is different.

Everyone’s situation,environment,Guts and mental strength of how they handle the problems is different.It is all about attitude.

I have to agree with @Laks09 with what she said.The friend has more than her Sahm dilemma.Her issues are different.Again,it is not like if one earns money..they should or can walk out of the marriage.Working is not for that.

True..when one earns money or had the education to find a job it does help.It is not that struggle ends when one is working.It comes in different forms.

At the same time..There are homemakers who walk out of a wedding,start their careers though small or big ,content with what they earn and live.Yes,people do and can find jobs when it is an absolute necessity and make ends meet tough or easy.The strength definitely comes.If you have,to you will.Many women lose their husbands unfortunately with no income but when “necessity “ arises they work it accordingly and manage.Some have family wealth for back up which is a different case.People manage and it is not like they will be stranded on streets or get into vices like movies shows.That idea and mental conditioning itself is wrong.

Also,The idea that women who work outside has life better is wrong.It is tough and even if your friend walks out of the marriage and is working,struggle won’t end.It will be the start to different kind of struggle!Especilaly being in our country,it is difficult being a single women.

Even I used to feel bad initially as though working woman has it better but no,I know many who do not have good health and who have stress and honestly my heart goes out to them.My best friend is in a high profile job but her struggles are hard.Outside,she may look successful for the society but she has her own problems and zero help.Many do it for financial troubles and varied reasons.They also want to be understood.So maybe your friend’s comment might have hit the wrong nerve and they just vented their frustration on her.

Unfortunately,anonymity is a social media benefit.Half the trolls won’t have the guts to speak what they wrote in real life.So,ask your friend not to take it personally.Trolling is a way to vent out people’s frustrations.If people cannot digest it,then one should refrain comments in social media.

They don’t know your friend and probably those women might be good people in real life.Everyone has their moments..so it’s best not to take it personal.Everyone’s mindset and how they understand things are different.

At the same time,are they right in saying mean things to your friend.Absolutely not but at this situation,it is best to empathize.We do not know when what ticks and my heart goes out to your friend and her personal struggles which many won’t know.She might have meant good in her perspective but honestly with so much stress going on in everyone’s lives,advice is the last thing people want unfortunately.I hope things work out for her better and hope she comes out of her personal struggles.

Tell your friend,those women who trolled her do not represent the entire women community.There are many who are mature and diplomatic.It was just not her day.Sometimes we are the statue and other times we are the bird.

No one is right or wrong here but we cannot change the world or how others will react.Let’s just learn a lesson from this and move on.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  7. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

I have seen some of these women. It surprises me. Their brains are so used to abuse that they think it's normal.

8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

what makes IL less social than FB. just avoid discussing further on a thread, if it does not go in a constructive way. couple of stuff i have seen here too

i have been called the b word couple of years back , just because the suggestion i suggested was not validating the person question.
    there has another time, when my response was to OP , but another IL took it personally and was super emotional and lost control.

a male was posting questions on how handle kids when he was doubtful on his ex parenting skills. I noticed instead of replying couple of folks were mocking him in another thread , infact one of the moderator was too mocking him.

you cannot control what other can do or say. just smile and ignore.

there is no perfect manual how to live life.

9. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

When I realize how much I deserve and how much a
    I was abused and stepped on, I cried (still do)

must learn to say, NO and stick to it

now I manage my full salary and share with those in need.

Needtobestrong, lavani and chanchitra like this.
  10. Needtobestrong