1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being rendered homeless

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by RadhaG, Jun 26, 2009.

1. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

Hi everybody,

This is a story of my full time domestic help, Uma, whose mother and younger sister live in city out skirts.

Since new roads proposed to be laid will pass through the area they live in, the people in the dwelling are being asked to leave that area......those not complying and voicing out protests are in the police station badly roughed up

It all started with houses catching fire due to inexplicable reasons.

So, what does one do when one is rendered homeless??? Where does one go?

Uma is with her mother for the third day now, they have moved their stuff out in a maidan with other people...they are desperately looking for another place for rent, new options are expensive....her mother works as a domestic help too, I wonder how she will pay the rent solely based on her earnings.

Uma's sister goes to school, I again wonder how her expenses will be met :-(?..... the more I put my head, the more the situation seems beyond redemption.

I have offered her family to stay with us till they get a house, but I dont know if they will accept my offer, as my house is too far from the school and the houses the mother works for.

What will happen in Chennai or for that matter any city, when there is no more space for slums? Where will our precious domestic help work-force live? Will they pushed to the fringes of the city, how will they reach their workplace

I have too many unsettling questions.......... dear Reader-of-this-blog, I am looking forward to reading your views on this issue :) Is there any solution to this problem at all...

2. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi Radha
    This is such a big issue most of the people living in dwellings face, it's really sad that government just ask them to leave the place just like that? Aren't they given any compensation or anything? Its really kind of you to offer your place till they can find a home.

3. RadhaG

RadhaG Senior IL'ite

I guess they MAY receive something, but I dont know when and how much, and we know how corrupt the "system" is.....