1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Behind The Wheel Test

Discussion in 'Indians in California' started by Pearldrop, Jul 27, 2022.

1. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

I have behind the wheel test scheduled next month. So far I have been driving only in residential streets not on the main roads. With instructor I have taken 2 classes and did practice on lane change and left turns so i am kind of ok. I have not got chance to practice daily as my husband leaves to work at 7.20 am and comes back only at 7 pm. In weekends he just have no patience to teach me but still i manage to have a ride on residential streets also practiced parking and reverse.
    My question here, is it ok to take behind the wheel with this practice. All of you who had taken behind the wheel test have already been practicing driving in main streets before even getting DL. kindly help me with this.

Gayu

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Try to search in YouTube for "DMV test route <your city name>" or "DMV behind the wheel <your DMV location name>". Each DMV usually has about 3-4 routes that the examiners use. Enthusiastic people upload a video of the route and actual tests too sometimes. Try to practice on these routes in the weekend and once or twice in weekdays.

I'd suggest practice a little more before taking the test.

Added later: No parallel parking in CA DMV test. Yay. : )

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Pearldrop likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I didn’t practice on main roads because I didn’t have my own car at the time. I did practice extensively in the campus parking lots, especially parallel parking. Make sure you feel confident before going for the test.

Pearldrop likes this.
  4. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Yes i found the routes in youtube for el monte or pasadena dmv where i am going to take test. It seems not that hard. Should i practice in early morning hours in dmv route. I dont have confidence to drive in main road along with other cars. But somehow i feel i can do it when examiner sits next to me. Will try my best to practice more before going for test. Good that CA dont ask for Parallel parking i dint even practice one time. Thanks for replying.

5. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Hi OP,
    The fact that you have posted this message tells that you need more confidence.

The DMV exam is not just for you to pass, its about how confident you feel after you get the driver license.

There are some instances where the money is worth spending and behind the wheel, a confident you is more important than anything else.

Husbands make the worst driving teachers. I would suggest you fire him asap and hire a professional driving instructor. Please plan on taking at least 6 lessons ( its worth it even if it costs $200 per lesson ). The confidence you will get will hold you in good stead for rest of your driving life.

The instructor will take you on highways and other routes which you are afraid to take. He will likely say you are good to take the test after 4 classes, but take 6. You will be a pro by then.

Instructors also have fun way of teaching the basics. Like while backing out, you need to do ABC. While changing lanes you have follow these. These will get ingrained in you no matter what the circumstance and will you keep you safe.

After getting the license, make sure to keep driving when ever you go out with your DH.

If you get the license without enough practice/confidence and drive, your DH criticizes you, you will never gain the confidence for years.

Good luck.

Pearldrop likes this.
  6. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

With practicing only on parking lot how did you do lane change and all during test. How did you overcome fear when sharing road with other vehicle during test. please share that with me it will be very helpful. You might have put real hard work practicing within campus and getting DL. My dmv asks to change lane in 35 miles speed road i dont know how am i going to do it. Instructor said i am doing good but i never tried with my husband. I might take one more class with instructor but thats it. Thanks for reply.

7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I see you have an instructor already. If you like their teaching, you can continue the lessons with them. Or else try a different instructor.

8. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

9. Pearldrop

Pearldrop Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your advice. I will practice more.
    If i fire my hubby he would happily get off. Rightnow he is like why do you even want to take DL. Also he is not ready to get me 6 classes so i took only 1 session for 2 hrs with instructor. Unfortunately she did not teach me any basics just took me to a residential area and asked me to take right and left turns mostly right turns, twice lane change.

10. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I used to ride a 2- wheeler in Pune right before coming to the US almost 25 years ago, so the roads here felt like a piece of cake after that.
    In your case I would invest in a few more professional driving lessons, so you get the experience on the road. Sit in the right lane, look at all your mirrors, use your turn signals and just go for it.

Thyagarajan and Pearldrop like this.