Behaviour of Indians

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by Rajjo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. sumaya

sumaya New IL'ite

hi all
    iwas jus reading every one's experience...n jus felt that every one are speaking my mind.its been one year that i have come to u.s.andin that one year i have got one good friend.i really feel desi's in u.s are very strange.initially wen we came here i used try look at indian's n try to smile...but they are like try to avoid ...really i used to feel bad...but now i am okay...if they smile i smile...otherwise i dont bother......here it has become like constant search of friends...back in india...friendship...jus happens naturally but here its like u are forced....really i miss india..so much.initally i used to be very much bothered abt all these ...but now i am used to it...
    love
    sumaya

2. pranitha

pranitha New IL'ite

Hi IL ladies ,

Same experience here when u come across a fellow Indian ,they hardly like to see us and rather the look says" U TOO ":crazy. Strange behaviour of desis ,they would like to talk ofcourse if u have come along with them r ur friends back home. Forget about saying Hi they sometimes dont wnt to see u. So even i make it a point not to smile at them r look for ur fellow men in a mall or on the road. There seem to be several reasons behind this which really hurt newcomers n soon when ur not so new u also tend to behave the same way. Better be on ur own.

Thanks

3. btej26K

btej26K New IL'ite

Hi to all n u too Rajjo,
    U just said the same what i experienced here in UK. I live in Warwickshire for the past one year and before tht i was in Scotland but the experiences remained the same. Indians or Asians as we are called behave very strangely with their own country fellow. Either they avoid u or if they give a smile its like a torture for them to give one. And i also do the same what you do. But when i go to leave my daughter to school that isthe time u experience this more. Arrey what is ur problem man if u stretch ur facial muscle n gve a line called smile. Disgusting. I know how u must be feeling as v r sailing in the same boat.

1 person likes this.
  4. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi all....

i read this thread whenever there is a new post in this thread. I will like to share one thing...now a days i go for walking everyday whenever i see climate is good. So, one day i saw one indian lady probably my age group. I saw this lady at least three to four times in same park and two three times in shopping mall. I always felt that if i talk to her she will talk to me....finally i decided that next time i will see her, i am going to talk.......I saw her two days back, i approached her with very broad smile but my bad luck she tried to smile but couldnt and rushed to the another channels in shopping mall...i felt little bad then i thought may be she is scared to be friend with someone unknown. Actually where we are staying its difficult to see any indians... Only this lady is the person to whom i am seeing since last three months.....i hope we can talk some day.

5. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    Good thread! Was reading thru all your views.. I find the same thing in singapore too. Local indians are friendly and to certain extent chinese too. Desis find it diffcult to even smile.. and doesn't cost penny... I decided from then i won't talk to no one. :crazy One more thing i have observed also is when u go gathering there would be people known and unknown,the known keep talking to their friends which makes unknown totally out of place.Many don't realise situation or is it ego which makes them behave this way...

6. ReshmaSuresh

ReshmaSuresh New IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    I'm a new kid in the block... And for obvious reasons this is the first blog i read with interest......
    Honestly, we Indians like to call ourselves friendly, curtious...etc..etc...but is it true???
    Big Laughwe don't like to talk to people who belong to a different cast, community, state....now a days even profession. So whats the big deal of people not talking to fellow countrymen ?? The condition is pathetic in every city.. even within India..

I lived in Bahrain for 12 years but I had good experience there...... My ordeal in making friends begun in India....

Sadly nothing much can be done about it as we have a strong genetic trait .....which seems to be missing a select few (fortunately).....

Well any one for penfriends??? here I am..Computer Typing

7. shobana007

shobana007 New IL'ite

Hi,

I've had mixed experiences during my stay in Sweden, Canada and U.S. Have had very good experiences in Stockholm with a few Sri-Lankans and a few Swedes. Infact I did meet a Swedish family who had lived for about 6 months in Coimbatore, TN. They were so delighted meeting someone from TN right near their home that they invited me to their home for idlis the very next day. Unfortunately, I was leaving Stockholm and couldnt share their fondness of idlis. I've faced more 'disregarding' look or 'lack of smile' in NYC where meeting Indians is more icommon. I think, this behavior could be attributed to the very, many stressful factors of this city and swarms of tourists. I do love the city and I'd add - Predominantly people do respond to smiles and a 'Hello'. Do not get disheartened by a few unfortunate incidents.

Keep your smile and good heart and people will respond. :)

-shobana

8. Paro

Paro New IL'ite

Hi Rajjo

You are absolutely right! What I say is, Indians act more like Westerner than Westerner themselves. As if they belong to some paradise. What I see in them is inferiority complex, though they might be thinking we are superior. And forget about those who have settled for sometime, but those who are in Canada, US and other countries settled for more than 40 years thinks we are very aristrocat, and superior being as if they are minister or mayor of that city. They dont know anythig about India anymore and sees the other Indian with the same perspective as if they were in India under deprived status. Once women from one family was asking me does India sells diapers and sanitary napkins. I asked them for what era are you asking me about. They think we are getting all these luxorious item here only.

I hardly give them any air.

1 person likes this.
  9. MeenuH

MeenuH New IL'ite

Hi Rajjo,
    I have joined indusladies just today, and like you, I live in Geneva. In fact the reason why I joined is that I am looking to get to know some Indian ladies out here. I live here with my husband and son, and we have been here for a few years. We live on Avenue d'Aire, and if you want to make contact, write back and we can meet up some time.

10. satyavanim

satyavanim New IL'ite

Hi All ..
    nice experiances .. i also had one exp like this . I came to frankfurt last year .. and missing everyone from india .. eagarly looking for indian faces .. then i saw a lady sitting in front of me in train .. oh god i am so happy . .i saw an indian .. i am trying to smile .. but she is looking at somewhere .. finally i said Hi .. she also said hi and changed her seat ... :)
    no idea why ..
    but keep on looking for indians ..
    hey if anyone are staying in or around frankfurt please write me ..
    i am really waiting to meet some indians ..

thanks
    Satya