Behaviour of Indians

Discussion in 'Europe - Other Areas' started by Rajjo, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi kriss

i am from andhra pradesh. all people around me are telugu... but the nice telugu people where are they? maybe they are extinct.....ok.. i am being unfair.... so i am trully sorry...must be somewhere all nice people ..... or i only attract this kind of person.......what do u think?

2. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

My friend who lives in UK used to say the same thing.People come to her only when they need help.They did not even bother to ask her permission and convenience ...

Even here in US I'm having the same problem.Desis giving a strange look when we meet them.They also seem to cling together who are in the same status boat..ie...owning a house,fancy car,software profession...and they like to show off what they have.No one seems to be helpful but only get help from others.So it seems better not to have desi friends and be frustrated later.

Though I'm a very friendly kind of person...people dont want to maintain a steady friendship with me and they take me for granted.

I dont know how the new comers in US survive and how do they get friends....

I dont know if this is happenning only to me.....I dont know if I'll respond well even if a good desi approaches in future and in due course of time we tend to be the same when new comers arrive...and so the complaints go on for ever and ever......

3. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Dear Huma,

Nice people are not extinct.Usually we don't go search for friends and friendship.Whoever encounters us in the coarse of life depending upon their interactions both quality and quantity become friends.
    You are a good person and I wish you to have a whole lot of good friends.

4. corallux

corallux Bronze IL'ite

You are not alone....It is the same every where...when HUbby & I were new migrants in Oz...the Local Aussies came to our help....No Indian on the streets of Melb felt it ok to reciprocate our smiles....Time & experience has taught us....we alwyas smile back as we know how it feels when asmile goes unnoticed by "koi Apna in a Firangi land"

5. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Its true in my case too....
    If you get help from anybody, in turn they will take you for granted and keep taking help from you.
    Until unless they need you, they won't talk to you or smile at you.
    People become very selfish and 'MATLABI's.
    After some time we ourselves get used to it and life becomes so hectic, you can't think of anybody or visiting them or friends visiting you.

~Punitha

6. shravanthika

But before I came to US people used to say me..we have friends who live like close relatives and you would never miss India...

But ...in my case even my dear cousins didnt bother to help me or talk to me...

the answering machine and caller id very much helps to avoid me...I had a friend who used to proudly say that she will never pick up the phone unless she hears a message in her answering machine...

Puni88..you are right...once you get caught up in your daily busy routines especially you working women...you never have time to worry abt not having friends

But me being a housewife...I yearn so badly sometimes...

As suggested by one of the ladies I tried to make friends with a few..I volunteerly called them once a week even if they dont call me back...but after a few months I very much feel neglected....

may be..I dont know how to make friends?

but still having a small ray of hope that someday I'll meet one...wish me luck...

7. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi

i wish u all the luck in the world.... u must be a very special person....

8. shravanthika

Thanx for your wishes Huma....

9. lahy15

lahy15 Silver IL'ite

Hi Rajjo and to all,

I live in Luxembourg for past 7 years and have experienced the same from Indians here. Once in a shop I met a Indians and Wished to them with a smile and they looked at me in a avoiding face and I really felt very bad. But, Europeans here are really very kind and who ever see me they give me a smiley wish and I feel happy too. But why this diff. from Indians ?

Suni :)

10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hey Guys...

Its all true.. but let me tell you a possible reason ;) atleast that whats the reason in NJ/NY

There is a business called ALWAY/QUIKSTAR or something or that sort.. Where you get more money, the more people you hunt down..Big Laugh

So these desis took that for granted. Wherever we go, I used to see a friendly couple smiling at me, talking to me casually and I was appalled.. Great, Indians too have manners and started talking to them. The conversation goes nice and then in 5 mins, there comes the line "Hey, you know.. there is this business, I would like to talk to you, since I kinda feel the good rapport with you, can we discuss over coffee sometime.. Can we exchange fone numbers?"

You being innocent and wanted to try out something, give your fone number.. and bid goodbye, thinking, wow.. a nice couple/friend we met today..

Nope.. you just opened a pandora box. Thats it.. everytime.. no matter what time it is.. early 8AM, evening 10PM.. calls keep coming in.. asking you to join.

Late eveing around 9PM.. after dinner if you wanted to go for a walk- these creatures would be in the park or shop in walmart for something.. there you go.. every aisle , there would be this one desi in coat-suit.. acting as if seeing some product to buy and if we walk past them.. they would throw this line "Hey, have we met.. you resemble so much my sister/brother or another time.. my best friend/college mate blah blah blah"

Many of my friends and friend's friends.. gone thru the same thing...

So whenever we see a friendly desi..; thats it I run the other way...

These ALWAY or whatever creatures spoiled the society so much, that its very scary to even smile back.. because then they will eat your brains out...

Recently, my friend told me to try this, she said.. it worked well. Just smile at them and when they start the conversation, be cool.. once they go into that "business line" just tell them, "Don't please spoil the good name of Indians abroad. If you want to do some business.. do it legally.. but setting up something and doing telemarketing. If I see you bugging people around, I am really going to report to police as a nuisance"

Thats it, that guy turned so red it seems, he just disappeared...Big LaughBig Laugh

I cant be that harsh.. but may be I will try this.. smile back.. but before starting any conversation.. going to confirm.. this is not AMWAY right HarharHarhar

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008