1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bedtime - routines, techniques, time and tips

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vasera, Mar 20, 2008.

1. SukiKumaran

SukiKumaran Senior IL'ite

Hi Tuvila
    Dont worry. U got company
    My 17 month DD too will sleep only after 10:30pm. Though she feels sleepy, she will not until everyone goes to sleep or has been separated from others.
    I hv been either living with my parents or ILs for 2 yrs. Just waiting to join DH to start a better routine on food, sleep, etc

Last edited: Mar 21, 2009
  2. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

hi Suki,

So theres someone on the same boat as me.People say tht living with gandparents help kids in a lot of ways but i feel they get spoiled and dont follow a routine .
    My case is similar to yours,have always been living with parents except for around 6 mths.Just waiting to join my husband to get her to follow a routine.

3. SukiKumaran

Hi tuvila,
    Her routines r going to be challengingbonk for me from next week as her dad arrives and summer vacations start(will stay with his parents and kids coming on vacation).:hide:
    When is ur husband coming.

4. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

It will take another 1 or 2 mths for him to arrive..So long way to go!!!!!!
    But yesterday i just tried a new technique,i asked my parents to act as if they were sleeping at 9.00pm and also switched off all the lights.And m daughter slept by 10 pm..

5. SukiKumaran

Dont worry, hope she settles in her routine b4 her Dad arrives in 1 or 2 months
    Reg her sleep pattern :thumbsupIts a good start. Keep going.

Mine, if she sleeps b4 9:30pm then that night is going to be Sivarathiri for me. she wakes within 1/2 hr and thats all. so now i'm planning to keep her awake atleast until 9:30pm. Now she is doing only one nap for 2 hrs. i know she is not getting enough sleep, but she will not sleep when sleepy. dont know how to increase her sleepbonk

6. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

To both tuvila and suki..
    i know what it is to stay with grandparents, be it parents or inlaws.. setting a routine is quite a tough job. but wrt sleep, can you not bolt urself inside the room with the child so that they get to sleep more peacefully? i know its not possible when rooms are shared, but at least during the sleep time, you can insist nobody enters the room.
    i had this problem sometime bk with K's sleep and also with my doing some reading, puzzle solving with her. i never got the time and i used to feel bonk... but slowly i started with techniques to bring her into the room and thats success. once this is done, i cud do all that i wanted with her. especially with sleep, you shd find a place where only you and your LO are there...or just your LO if he/she can fall asleep themselves.

7. SukiKumaran

Hi Asha,
    There is no problem in bringin her into the room. When switch on the stairs light she will wave bye and good night to all and climb the stairs to sleep... But the problem is if she sleeps earlier then she will wake ard 10 pm and will sleep really laate night until after 1 am. so i prefer her sleep after 10pm so that she will get atleast 9 - 10 hrs continous sleep.
    But i'm very much worried from next week. bcos of the annual holidays.

8. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

Hey suki,

Are you talking abt my kid??? Cos thats exactly the problem i face with her.My mom refused to co operate from the next day onwards and so we r back to square one but u know what i have just come to the conclusion that some babies sleep and some dont and we can do nothing to change it!! So we have to learn to accept it and work around it.After 2 years i have got this 'gnyanothayium' and i have decided to stop comparing her with other sleeping babies and try to accept her other talents.

My kid started reciting rhymes when she was just 1 1/2 years old and now at the age of 1 yr and 11 months she is able to recite the entire set of alphabets and also count from 1 -10.So i guess i have to just feel proud of that and forget abt her sleeping!!!

9. SukiKumaran

Hi Tuvila,
    Nice to hear abt ur kid. U should really be proud of her.
    My kid is into roaming, running and wants loooots of people ard herbonk and wouldnt even sit for meals also. only standing all time or running
    But she is not interested in learning or sitting for a min to c the books. I'm not compelling her. Let her enjoy her days b schooling.
    But she understands what i speak and will respond quickly. In that way i'm proud of her. She is good in all other things except sleep and drinking liquids(milk, water, juices, etc):hide:. Let her take her own time to get into the habit of drinking heself. I'll be very proudddddd if she drinks well.

10. tuvila

tuvila New IL'ite

Hey suki,

Seriously i thk our kids were twins in their last birth, mine also hates drinking liquids like milk ,juices and soups..!! And she always runs around wanting people around her!
    Regarding my child's learning ability , I didn't teach her anything,she picked it up by watching tamil and english nursery rhymes CD's.There is a brand of CD's by Buzzer which is very good.I know a lot of people thk watching CDs at this age is bad but sometimes it gives good results also but u shouldnt make it a habit.
    By the way does ur daughter miss her dad? Mine is missing him a lot,she keeps asking me at least thrice a day abt her dad..She aks me in this sad voice 'appa illa' appa kaanum .