1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bedtime - routines, techniques, time and tips

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by vasera, Mar 20, 2008.

1. vasera

vasera Senior IL'ite

Hi Ladies,
    Making kids sleep is also a tactfull work in parenting. Let us share here how you put them to bed, the way you make them sleep, their behaviour that time, their nap details....,sleeping problems..etc etc..
    Love
    Varalakshmi

2. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

Dear varalakshmi

Music is the best and first way to make kids sleep.I use to sing mild songs for my daughter.we get even cassettes in malayalam with very good melodious songs specially for thallattu.i will put the fan in medium and switch off the lights and put the cassette in low volume.Within 5 mins she will sleep.

I never faced any problem.

3. vasera

vasera Senior IL'ite

Thanks kamala

Yeah music is the best way to make child to sleep...Its good to know that your kids sleep well. Touch wood.
    My son is troubling me for sleep ...The problem is he will wake up in the night after 2 to 3 hours crying loudly .That time he expects his dad to put him in his shoulder .....We can put him in his bed only after he is asleeep..else he will again start crying loudly...without opening his eyes.This kind of problem we face 2 to 3 days....Remaining days he will sleep quietly...I dont know whats disturbing him in the sleep....

4. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

hi varalakshmi,

Usually kids cry in nights for 4 reasons.

1.when they are hungry.(keep a bottle with milk by your side).Usually boy babies cry with anger if they are hungry.

2.when they pass urine(before going to bed,make him pass urine).If is small you can put huggies.

3.When they see some bad dreams(like poochandi).This we cannot avoid.Don't ever frighten him saying poochandi words.

4.They also cry for pain in legs and hands.(This is general in babies due to the blood flow).while sleeping put 4 pillows on all sides.

.these are my humble suggestions.Try these.

5. sudhirakumar

sudhirakumar Senior IL'ite

hi

yes putting kids to sleep is sometimes difficult.I have two sons one is 7 month old and other is 2 1/2 year old. And i think telling intresting short stories is one of the best way to put thim to sleep. Get your kids usedto listning to stories and you can see them drifting off to sleep before you complete the story.

cheers
    sudhira

6. padija

padija Senior IL'ite

hi vasera
    my son used to do the same thing as yours, except he wants his dad's lap. i aksed his ped abt that and she said "if he goes to sleep in your lap, next time we wakes he will remember that and wants your lap so don't put him in lap to make him sleep" so after that we just put him pillow and pat him slowly, it took a long time for him to be asleep but it worked.

7. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Excellent thread. I am also tired of the interrupted sleep I get because of my 18 month old toddler. I am thinking about training my son to sleep alone in his crib in his room. My pediatrician told me that if I don't train him now he will end up sleeping in my bed till he is 5 years old. I have been reading a book on how to sleep train kids. These were a few of the tips that I found to be very interesting.
    1) Make sure your child sleeps in a full stomach so that he does not wake up hungry.
    2) Have a regular, fixed bed time routine like giving a bath before sleep, saying good night to all the items in your house, reading a storybook etc.
    3) Children have a strong sense of smell. So put your used shirt in his crib so he feels close to you.
    4) Make you child listen to some nice lullabies.

If any of you have started training your children to sleep alone please share your experiences.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

a nice thread to get solid ideas:) story with my boy is that when he was a baby i used to give him a feed, put in the crib, say good night blah blah, switch off the light and he drifted off to sleep by himself. then suddenly the scene changed when he was a year old... basically we went to India for his 1st birthday, i wanted to get pampered by my mom for 2 months and he got used to sleeping with me in the same bed. so since then we have just not been able to stop that habit. then we went again when he was 2 (now he's 3) and he fell sick with cold, fever, diarrohea, mosquito bites all at the same time and then started holding either mine or his dad's fore-arm for comfort while sleeping and now that's continuing. With great difficulty i somehow stopped him from waking up 2-3 times middle of night and asking for milk but now that's back too. Now I'm exercising sleep alone by yourself (still in our bed) and it's been going well for a week. I've tried giving dinner at 6-6.30 but still he wakes up at night for milk. wonder when that'll stop! i'll keep visiting this thread to hear your tips:) Latha

9. Lalitha venkate

Lalitha venkate Senior IL'ite

hi all

excellent thread!!!!!!!!!
    i also have same problem with my 2.7yr old kid.
    he used to sleep late in the night. but some how i changed hime slowly to sleep at least by 11.00pm.

he will sleep with me only, i'll just pur him saide, swithc of all lights and keep silence without disturbing him with 10 to 15 minutes he will sleep

10. GauriMore

GauriMore New IL'ite

hey all , thanks for sharing info abt the sleep routine ..my son will be 2 next month ..till now he is been sleeping in his crib in our room ...But lately he wakes up in the night at least once and refuses to sleep in his own bed ..cries out loudly with eyes closed ..But the moment i keep him down in our bed ,he sleeps like an angel...im just stressed out thinking wht to do now and make him sleep in his own bed...any other suggestions or ideas u all wud like to share..