1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bed wetting

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by hemanarayanan, Apr 7, 2010.

1. hemanarayanan

hemanarayanan New IL'ite

Hi,

My 9 yr old is still wetting the bed. Please help me how to fix this problem? We make sure he uses the bath room before sleeping. We also try to wake him up in the middle of the night to go pp. but still lot of times he wets the bed. Please help me with some remedies? He has got good health condition so far.

2. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hema - have you spoken to your pedi about this? I have had success in managing several bedwetters with a combination of self-hypnosis/suggestion, bladder exercises, fluid intake control and medication. After 2-3 months the medication can be tapered off with success. But this needs a doc preferably a referral to a developmental-behavioural pedi; I see that you are in the US so that should definitely be possible. Another thing which works is using a bed-wetting alarm instead of or along with the medication. None of these can be done by you alone so I suggest seeking help. The good news is that the vast majority of kids attain night-time control at pubery so you could also opt to wait.

Vanathi.

3. hat

hat Bronze IL'ite

Hi

I second Vanathi's comment on bedwetting that stops on puberty. I too had this problem until I was 11 years. All my folks were really worried about it as they thought I would have this problem life long.

But once I got my periods at 12 years, the problem magically vanished. Let nature take its course, dear. Continue what you are doing right now without putting added pressure on your child. All the best!:)

4. hemanarayanan

hemanarayanan New IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi for your idea. I will surely follow it up with my pedi.