1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by ProReal, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ProReal

ProReal Senior IL'ite

Hello
    We have bed bugs in our house, I think we got it either from a business trip my husband took or my stay at the hospital. In any case, we have had it for more than 6 months now. I have removed all the bedsheets and washed them.. then I dont see them for a while. Suddenly one day I saw them again and we decided to stop sleeping in the bed and moved to the sofa... For the past so many days I find atleast one or two in the sofa also. We have tried steam, spray everything and nothing is helping. I am pregnant so dont want to call an exterminator..

If we want to dispose the furniture where do we throw it? :rant

I am really super tired of seeing them somewhere in my sofa and have no other place to sleep..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010

2. archana2008

archana2008 Gold IL'ite

Congrats on your pregancy! we had bedbugs in our old flat. we came to know when baby was 1 month old. immediately we vacated that flat. inform your apartment owners if house is rented or get treatment done if it is your own house. we bought bed bug covers from bed bath &beyond for $99 each. they are good if you dont want to throw your matress. if you want to throw sofa then outside your apartments there will be some place where everyone will keep stuff out. keep a watch and you will know. After removing furniture wash all your dresses and clean stuff. to tell you frankly complaint about bed bugs and leave that apartment. It is tough to maintain and it may spread in your closet. not good for baby in future.

3. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Proreal, Congrats on your pregnancy. Hope the problem has been solved by now. If not, you can ask the apartment pest control team to do steam treatment for the entire apartment again(no pesticide). The mattress protector cover from Bed Bath and Beyond will protect your bed from being thrown out. Also, the pest control people use a salt like powder called diatameous earth I think, which is harmful for the bugs, but safe for humans. They sprinkle it on the carpet all the sides, so any bug that comes in contact with the powder dies(refrain from vacuuming for few days). For the sofa, ask them to steam it completely as well, if that doesnt help, you might have to throw it out. Also while you buy a mattress protector cover, get pillow protector covers as well for the pillows(make sure you buy the anti allergen ones which protect against mites and bugs, not the stain protection one). Wash all clothes and bedding in hot and dry in hot for few weeks until the problem has been sorted out. Prayers that you get a quick relief from these pests and have a peaceful pregnancy.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. pkkeerthi

pkkeerthi New IL'ite

v too had t same problem o bugs at home . v could nearly found more tan 50 in my bed daily . they need blood fa survival . jus try 2 stay out o home fa some days . they ld hav no blood 2 suck n almost half ll nt survive. then v called a pesticide sprayin man 2 clean off t home n spray t chemical . v got rid off frm bugs finally .