1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bed Bugs

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by MeenLoch, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Imaya

Imaya New IL'ite

A friend of mine, whose house was infested with bugs had to leave the apt. She threw lot of stuff including furnitures like couch/bed etc., She took kichen utensils and clothes though. I'll find out from her as she also lives in Dallas.

MAYA

2. pushpa_gadde

pushpa_gadde New IL'ite

HI,
    even my apt was infected by bed begs 2 yrs ago...but they were all gone after v had some chemical treatment done for the apt. actually, v called the leasing office people and they send them. he just came and sprayed some liquid on all the carpet in the hosue and in jsut 2 weeks v got rid of all the bugs. our apt is free of bugs now, though v had to throw away 2 of our mattresses and a sofa!!
    throwing them away helped a lot in getting rid of those. u know, how much ever v try, it is very difficult to remove or kill all the eggs from mattersses and sofas. i washed all the clothes and toys in the house in very hot water and put themall in the sun after packing them tightly in black trash bags.
    once u detect bugs in ur house, immediately dispose the mattresses and sofas..tht is the place they reside and no matter wht v do, some or other ways they just spread out!!!

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,
    Action items are as the ones u have mentioned

1. Throwing away mattress and sofa. :iagreeYou are 1000% true lady. We are seeing where to throw now. It cannot be salvation army or re-sale shop right ? Where did u throw it ?

2. Chemical treatment happened, but it did not show results. They kept coming back. Reason - Mattress and sofa of course. We are planning to buy a new sofa and mattress, but after we are bug-free. I would like to knwo the company your apartment office sent. Can you find that out for me ? TIA

3. Due to some personal reasons we are unable to shift apartment. For time being I need to try 1 and 2. I had one big doubt :********. Once I treat the carpet, wash clothes in hot water, throw mattresses is there not a chance it comes again due to the apartment wood or some of the old stuffed clothes ( We have some winter garments too, which I may not treat for the time being).

4. I had recently been to chicago and in that chillness, no bugs bit me. There were chances they were on my clothes, but for 10 days it was such a deep sleep, bug-free. A friend in Dallas threw all her clothes too. Wondering if that might happen for me too :-(...

4. pushpa_gadde

pushpa_gadde New IL'ite

Hi,
    I just called the leasing office and got the number of the pest control company. I called them and asked if they knew or had any associates in huston, but she said they dont have any associates in tht area. she gave me the chemical name tht they use. she said tht they either use 'suspend' or 'phantom' for teating bed bugs. so call the pest control in ur area and ask them to use this chemical for treating ur carpet. and when u treat the carpet in the apartment ask the guy to also treat the window's and doors witht the chemical..there are chances tht some bugs r hidden there or have laid some eggs there.

and also check tht the wood does not have many holes or cracks in ur apartment. tht is where the bugs usually hide and lay their eggs. some of my friends had to throw away all their things, things from clothes to suitcases, to get rid of them. it is very easy to get rid of them in the early stages. if they have been in ur apartment since long then it is better u move to another apartment, dumping ur sofa's and bed;s in the trash bin's in ur apartment premises. they wont spead from the trash bins to another apt in just a day or two. wash everything tht u can in hot water and store them in trash bags till u get rid of beg bugs.

hope this helps u in getting rid of the bugs problem soon.

good luck to u!!

5. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Dear Pushpa,
    Thanks for your valuable inputs. I am in the process of implementing all of the above. That was a real elaborate reply. I think you could relate to my woes, having experienced the same problem.

Thank you again for your patience:)

6. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Dear Ms. Meenloch,

Now I'm in the same situation like you. Living in the apt for the past 2 yrs started getting bed bugs. Don't know what to do. Can't move out of the house. What did you do to get rid of the bugs?

Pls. let me know.

Rithi

7. sathya

sathya Gold IL'ite

hello

one way of getting rid of bed bugs
    is to soak alum in water overnight
    then clean swipe
    cots, mattresses etc...
    also keep a small piece of camphor
    under the sheet or bed...
    this works in india

sathya

8. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Thanks for your post Sathya,

Have to search for alum here. Camphor? will it be availabe in Indian groc. store?

Anyway we ironed the bed to kill most of them. We did see baby bugs and their eggs. Threw comforter and bed covers/sheets. It is a very early stage as we didn't have bugs 2 weeks back.

Rithi

9. rithi

rithi New IL'ite

Wondering why ILites Meenloch or Pushpa are not replying to this thread. I have sent a PM to Meenloch.

Rithi

10. pushpa_gadde

pushpa_gadde New IL'ite

You are most welcome Meenloch :)

Rithi
    Why did u throw away your comforter and bed sheets? You could have washed them ! I did the same with all my pillows and blankets. We had to throw away the beds and sofa though:cry:

Any way its good if it worked for you. As I know it was horrible to have them in the house.

And you know what, one of my very good friend said she was scared ot come to my house as she feared she would get the bed bugs in her house too if she visited my house!! I dont know how people can be so rude and tell it all on your face, and that too when you are very good friends. Bieng frank is one thing, but why behave like that for such a small issue?