1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Because Decency Demands It!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 16, 2020.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Decency Demands SyndromeMost of us enjoy suffering from the need for decency by keeping on practicing decency softly and silently. Decency demands this, decency demands that syndrome!!!

#Touching feet a show of formality even if you do not like that person, because decency demands it.

#Taking rubbish from your friends, for fear of losing their friendship, because decency demands it.

#Taking no offense against the injustices meted out in the family particularly to daughter in laws, for fear of family unity, because decency demands it.

#Standing in a queue when everyone else is breaking it because, decency demands it that we follow the rules, if others don’t.

#Abiding by the rules at any cost, because decency demands it.

There would be n number of such instances when we do things just because decency demands it.
    What motivates us to observe decency?

May be HOPE! There will come a day when all will be okay. There will be no pretensions, no injustices, no partiality. We will live in a perfect world.

Maybe HOPELESSNESS! No amount of protest will work, so why protest at all.

Maybe CONDITIONING! We have been brought up that way to respect others and not to interfere unless asked.

Maybe WEARING A MASK! For our benefit and impressing the onlookers.

Maybe WEAKNESS of not only body but mind also.

NB: I hope it is not a repeat.

2. kaluputti

kaluputti Platinum IL'ite

Not in these days Mr.Harilekha...everyone speaks out, irrespective of background, for themselves and for others. Being passive is about the personality of the persons concerned...and certainly compensate for the huge nos of people who ask, react, protest, question aggressively /violently.! What do you think the various designs & novel ideas coming up for the masks these days, just to show that it doesnt shut their mouth, but only protects ....:sunglasses:

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    My three reasons are...
    Conditioning, wearing a mask because we want to look goody goody in front of others and weakness also.
    Last but not the least is we are genuinely decent. No pretention.
    Syamala

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. HariLakhera

Yes, you are very right Ms Kaluputti! It is so very indecent in the real and virtual world. I was told trolling is a fashion now on social media. In real life, no one really cares about decency. In a way it is good. There is point in sleeping with any mental load. Say it and be done with.
    Masks are temporary, I guess but there are some invisible masks and those will stay.

kaluputti likes this.
  5. HariLakhera

I can not say that for sure about myself. Many a times I keep thinking -I could have said this, or that, could have done this or that. But at the given I time I pretended to be decent, suppressing my real thoughts.

kaluputti likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

If someone touches your feet, you got to be careful nowadays. It may not be decency and there could be ulterior motives, like pulling your legs and bringing you down.

HariLakhera and kaluputti like this.
  7. kaluputti

"...there are some invisible masks and those will stay."..yes, you said it sir..

HariLakhera likes this.
  8. kaluputti

Absolutely...at least for the politicians and celebrities...:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

HariLakhera likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:As soon as I wake up and sit for a while and the next thing I do is touch the feet of Lord in a photo frame. That transports the mind to Sri Devi & BHU Devi. Then to lotus and lake ....and distant mount behind hazy clouds....

2. Human body left and right are negative and positive. Opp a younger one stoops to touch toes of an elder . The electrical circuit stands completed. Palms from foot of elder receives energy called blessings. The senior touches the entire head with his palm. Energy flows from his hands to the person genuflected.

3. I used to touch and hold fondly with my palms feet of my sleeping dad yes out of respect first but to stop him from his intermittent nasty snoring.

4. I gently softly tenderly touch some mornings feet of my spouse resting on pillow - yes not only out of respect but to know whether swelling in her legs diminished or vanished.

5. My pal invariably remains silent when his senior & junior DILs are being rebuked by his spouse - not with intent to avoid fight in family but he and his spouse both are stone deaf.

6. I stood in long queue in rush hour but when same route three buses - arrived in a row, parked haphazardly - queue disrupted decency evaporates - might turns right - but I stood stock-still in queue that vanished.

7. Student enters into class room in midst of lecture, admonished for not having decency to knock the doors seeking permission - But student says he did not want to disturb the lecture, class and - and lecturer.

But there is nothing innocuous if some one sticks to convention willi-nilly or believes in the adage - Do as Romans when you are in Rome.

Thanks and Regards.

10. HariLakhera

Absolutely. Some people get upset if the younger generation do not show their respect by toughing feet. I heard an old guy admonishing a young girl on this issue.