1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Beauty Moksha or Happy Moksha

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by navs23, Sep 20, 2011.

1. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

My friend shared this funny commercial on a social networking site. A huge house, painted in pristine white and elaborate architectural decor comes into view. It looks fabulous and when the camera zoomed out to show the well kept green lawn, with flowers and trees around, it took my breath away. While I was wondering if it was a real estate commercial, entered a young couple, friends of the home owners. After showing around their new house, the host, let's call her Mrs X, takes the guest Mrs Y, to her custom made, walk in closet. Open the doors of the closet and it is quite a sight inside :cool2:

There are shelves that rise to the roof, shelves filled with casuals, business formals, business casuals, party wear, home wear, stylish 'in trend' wear, last year's 'in trend' wear and it goes on. On the other side of the wall are shoes, you heard me right, shoes of all colors, makes, models, sizes, casual shoes, formal shoes, party shoes, trekking shoes, running shoes, beach sandals, pointed heels, no heels and the list goes on. Camera turns around and all we see is an huge array of cosmetics, starting with a basic lip gloss to the most expensive anti aging secret technology that is there in the market. The camera then moves to show more than 100 different handbags, starting from the primitive cloth bag to the most expensive designer only one of the kind available for sale bags. What we see next are the ladies jumping in joy, screaming and marveling at this closet wonderland :banana

The poor husbands rush to the closet, wondering what the commotion is all about and the man of the house Mr X, remembers that he had not shown his friend Mr Y, his closet yet. Mr Y is tremendously surprised on seeing the closet and it's the men's turn now to scream and jump in joy, the closet is filled with bottles of drinks, racks rising up to the roof, all sides of the room :cheers

A few minutes later a friend responded with 'wow, what a dream come true' A dream come true? did I read it right :confused2: How can a closet be some one's dream, let alone a dream which comes true?

Another response took me by complete surprise. It went like, 'hmm, what a blessing she has, after all, isn't that the dream of every girl?'. :idontgetit:, did everyone else see the same commercial that I have seen, what are they talking about? Since when did women start counting their blessings based on a huge wardrobe? A closet/wardrobe/cupboard, call it by any name, is just a piece of furniture to store, rather hide, one's attire and that's all it is, spacious or not :crazy.

We started to chat and I asked, 'ok, so let's say one has a huge spacious closet, never ending racks of clothes, bags, accessories, cosmetics and shoes, what now? Can they sit in front of the closet and stare at it in awe and wonder until the eyes bulge out, day in day out? Will it feed one's(and their beloveds) hungry stomachs and souls?'. I was met with a stony silence and had they been in front of me, I would have seen their eyes throwing daggers at me :boo:. 'You wouldn't understand the joy, the pleasure, the bliss of standing in the center of such a closet, to be surrounded by all things beautiful, only within your reach, waiting to be picked up by you, it's a 'beauty moksha', one girl replied.

The commercial was to advertise a particular brand of drinks and had caught the attention of the wrong audience for the wrong reasons :bangcomp:

Sadly no one thought about the amount of money that one would have spent to fill up such a huge closet with so much (un)necessities. Every one needs to be presentable and dress appropriately based on the place/people and occasion. But, where do we draw the line, when does a need become a desire and a desire, over indulgence? :hide: I am not talking about the elite few, who can afford this dream closet, but the many, who try to stretch their finances to afford such things, those who splurge without thinking about the dent that they are creating in their home economy.

A dress that we do not get to wear for more than few days in the whole year and let rot in the closet the whole time, can do a lot of wonders for some one shivering through the unbearable cold with nothing to cover them.

Wearing the same black sandal/shoe for more than one set of dress is not a fashion crime, even if it is, how does it compare to the crime of seeing people walk bare foot just because they cannot afford a simple shoe?

How many bags does one need, even if you go by one bag per day routine, 7 for 7 days a week will do. Why put such(expensive) workman ship by just stacking them inside the closet or by even carrying them around(what is the big deal?). How many mouths can one Prada, Channel or Louie Vitton feed. But, on a serious thought, with these branded designer bags costing in hundreds and thousands(dollars), one can easily feed a lot of mouths with the price of one bag.

How many jars of anti aging, age defying, anti marks, cleansing, bleaching, facial, toning, spot removal, anti this, anti that, blah blah blah creams are enough to change what has been made by the wonderful creator?

No offense, but, who needs a beauty moksha? What we need is simplicity and a happy(iness) moksha, the smile that lights up another person's heart :thumbsup

7 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Good one Navs dear. I like the last line , its so true. will come back later

No offense, but, who needs a beauty moksha? What we need is simplicity and a happy(iness) moksha, the smile that lights up another person's heart [​IMG]

3. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Exactly right Navs.. I hate people who are doing like this... You have written it well.. Always we need Happy moksha and not beauty moksha.

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Navs,

They say, when a hungry man sees too much food, he gets put off, and seeing the food fills his stomach, one does not need much to eat, tday afternoon i ate dal , roti, and curds and one papad, and i can tell u, it gave me so much satisfaction, that no 5 star expensive meal can give me.

Same way we nee d a few good pirses , shoes, dresses, etc, but not so many as to confuse us, i agree with u, what a waste of money, and styles change, so fast, by the time yr turn comes for a bag, the bag is out of fashion.

HAHA

Good one.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  5. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nice post. But people having these things belong to the miniscule minority. I look at this at another angle : They are helping the economy. So many dress makers, tailors, etc are benefitted. Besides, they require a servant to clean and maintain the closet. So more poor people are getting employment. Who knows..such people may be contributing to charities as well. As long as they are buying these things through honestly earned money, I do not thing that they are doing anything wrong.

But the fact remains that I would never want this kind of lifestyle for myself.

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for the first feedback Viji ma, I am so glad you liked it. Do come back later when time permits :)

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Sabari, I am glad you liked it :)

8. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    I am so glad you liked it!
    That's an excellent analogy, too much of anything might look great, but does put off one's mind.
    Nothing beats a simple home cooked meal :)
    Exactly, by the time one really gets to buy the so called 'in season' product, it is already obsolete :bonk

9. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Raji :)
    People have started paying more attention to looks(what we wear and what we hold) in the recent years than last few decades and it is hardly a minuscule minority any more. One might not be owning a huge closet as such, but it surprises me when people(who have struggled hard to be where they are now and still not so well to do) stretch their finances to accommodate their dream bag(a big designer brand, it's a pride for some to even hold that bag) or a pricey costume. While it is true that people might benefit from such a purchase(tailors, shop keepers), the family's economy struggles to make up for such splurges. Ha ha, it is no longer honestly earned money as such, it's all card purchases these days, buy it and struggle to pay back!

2 people like this.
  10. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Navs, you are right on people spending a lot on looking good. But the average person works hard in some office to payback the credit card debts. So, only for the credit card companies, it is not honestly earned money.