1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be Open, Surrender And Let Go!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

A rough work out in the spin class had me hurting beyond what I can describe. Add to that I walk up and down 22 steps at least 10 times a day. 22 steps precisely you say? When you are up and down that many times a day, you will keep count too! Nah, actually let me let you in on a secret. I have this awful habit of counting stairs. I know I have 13 going up and down my house and I count them every time I go up and down, no matter what. One day at school students caught me counting and then caught me doing it again and again. There is a running joke that Mrs.S counts her steps because she is worried a stair may go missing! Why would anyone want to count the steps every single time? But then, when I tell them that I count down every license plate to the final single digit, they go shaking their heads with a :facepalm:. As for me, I put it down squarely on mindfulness! Hey! Am I the only one aware that I am going up or down or that there are cars with license plates on them, not to mention the riddles hidden in the plates? The joy of cracking down that code and hence a sense of deciphering that personality down possibly is something all together different. Don’t I make sense now?

Now you would think with all that work out, I should be stick thin. Thankfully, I am a healthy weight - gain or loss has never been my agenda of working out. Talk about weight and I think of Ganesh! A very young neighbor of mine with a toddler is fascinated with our traditions and customs. She sees a rangoli in front of my house, she does not hesitate to knock and find out what festival we are celebrating. I tell her that it is Ganesha Chathurthi and explain briefly the story of Ganesha’s birth and end with that ad in India asking people wear a helmet with a “Ganesha, had a second chance you may not!”. I promise her some sweets in the evening and as I walk down to her house with a box, her very lovely, curious and intelligent toddler points to the sky and shows me the even more lovey looking Chathurthi Chandra! Now it is my turn to go :facepalm: . I have to confess though, it is one of the loveliest moons I have ever seen. How many times have not cried out with joy looking at the skies, especially during the fall time. As DD nods her head in agreement at the beauty later later in the evening as we walk out of a shop, I tell her the story of the moon, ganesha festival, Krishna and shamanthakamani and end up philosophical with a “you know we will get blamed for things we don’t do many a time”. Our mythology teaches us that even when God’s can’t escape that, we as humans should take it all in our stride. She smiles still shielding her eyes from the moon that we had spotted again and says “Welcome another year of grace and letting go!”

Next morning, as I almost come to the end of our yoga practice, I tell my friend that I want to do a couple of more poses. I feel like stretching out more, opening my heart and at the same time surrendering! Have you even felt that way? Today is one of those days. I want to open up my heart, let go and see the magnificence of the universe and at the same time see the same in me, the magnificence! Perhaps the Ganesh visarjane helped me see what letting go is this year.

As I head out to the car, I am reminded of a little 5 year old who had walked up to me just other day with a serious look and said, “Mrs.S! Do you know how I might l look when I am all grown up?” While her innocence makes me want to hug her, the seriousness with which she asked makes me realize she means business. I kneel down to her level and say “Why M, I think you will grow up to be a beautiful girl. I can see it. You have such a lovely heart!” I see relief, a smile spreads and she says “I better be, I plan on being a princess you know”. I now realize to attain that quality of royalty, one must really receive, be open, surrender and let go – just like how I have been feeling for the past few days.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When I read your snippets I often think of a story I read somewhere.

A psychologist in India was doing a study on perspective. He went down to a construction site where three men were cutting stone. He came up to the first man and asked "What are you doing?" The man looked up annoyed and said "Are you blind? Can't you see I'm cutting stone?" The doctor went to the second man and again asked "What are you doing?" The man looked up calmly and said "Just earning an honest living. I come here and do as I'm told so I can feed my family." The doctor went to the third man and asked him the same question. The third man jumped up in joy and said "I am building a majestic temple!" With infectious joy and enthusiasm the man began pointing out the temple's designs, layouts and the beauty of it all.

All three men are doing the exact same thing, yet their experiences are wildly different. Our perception gives meaning to our experiences. You are a bright shining beacon of positivity and that is what you see in the world around you. No one but Mrs S could derive so much joy from climbing stairs! : )

Thank you @Srama for another lovely reminder that "As within, So without." An open, receptive heart is rewarded by a generous universe.

3. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Yes Sabita only you can see beauty in everything.I also agree with Gauri about stair climbing. Now at 75 It's so difficult for me to climb the stairs. Lucky they are who can go by lift.

Since our building has gone for reconstruction . We have shifted.,4 houses. In two houses we were in ground floor,the last one 3rd floor now 2nd.

Thanks for a lovely snippet as always. Usually.I don't know what feedback to give to your snippets because they are excellent

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

It is a great joy to read your writings again and again.I too have the habit of counting the same steps everyday, as though they should not disappear.i feel that counting is an obsession.I count the pages, and how many lines of my medium handwriting would be in a page, and average words in a line and so on.I count the the number of standard size bricks or cement blocks needed to construct of a wall of average size at home and actual litres of water a tanker lorry will hold considering the volume of the cylindrical shape and how we are actually cheated and how much water we lose and so on.However much I try to curb the tendency, it does not leave me.Actually I have become an un official number consultant at home front and neighbourhood. I think I have taken after my mother.She was capable of telling how much hand murukkus of such and such diameter can be made out of a measure of rice.She was the chief consultant for making all savouries for weddings.
    Reg the ambition of the little girl to become a princess what joyful innocence that child has!
    Though surrendering ,at the outset, seems to be slavish, it is actual freedom and enjoyment-one should experience to believe it.
    Jayasala42

kkrish, Thyagarajan, peddadas and 2 others like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sabi
    Like you have this habit of counting the steps, I do have the habit of counting the words whenever I read something which is far beyond my capability to visualise. You have written 782 words of some exquisite abstraction that leave me baffled. Baffled to realise how ageing affects our creative thinking. In other words, I belong to the first category of workers that @Gauri03 points out.
    It is like when you are young, you sit at the seashore and wonder what is beyond the horizon. When you reach my age, you just want to rush back to the safety of your home before you catch a cold!
    Sri

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My Dear Sabitha,

What a delightful read your snippet is! Please keep spinning such wonderful snippets besides attending spin class without hurting yourself, of course. You are like that Sculptor who responded to the question, "How do you make the beautiful Krishna statue out of a mere stone?" by answering, "I just remove what is not Krishna in that stone". Your eyes are trained to see the good in everything and stay in the present moment always.

You count the steps? When my mind wanders into difficult thoughts, my fingers automatically react writing the Tamil word "Anbu" (Love) in the air. This habit has developed for me automatically from a very young age. I consider that as God's instructions to me to add the ingredient of love when I beat myself or others in my thoughts.

My son used to show up his fingers and say "Ball" pointing towards the moon as a toddler. Even though it is hard to carry him when he bends forward to look up, I let him do what he likes. Later he picked up so much interest in learning about the planets. From young age, more than rides he enjoyed going to the parks and gardens and I realized that he enjoys nature better than anything else.

You are very blessed to be around the children because there is so much to learn from them. I learned a lot from my own child and still continue to learn from him. Isn't it nice to know a girl has the goal to be the "Princess"? What a positive outlook. I noticed you describing bending down on your knees to talk to her and I learned that technique from one of my friends at my early age of parenthood. The children listen more carefully when we meet them at their eye level.

Opening the heart and preparing the mind to surrender is a great goal. If I reach the goal of equanimity, I will find a way to experience reality.

Viswa

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Gauri03,

Thank you so much for that lovely and appreciative feedback! The story is beautiful and I can pretty much see everyone reading it trying to see where they stand in their perception. When I feel down, I remind myself of the old Native Indian tale -

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. “A fight is going on inside me,” he said to the boy.

“It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil – he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.” He continued, “The other is good – he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you – and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

The one you feed! I know because I have fed negativity in me and see the consequences just like the positives. It is work in progress and just like that third man if we believe that we are all working on building that temple, we will make a huge difference to our own lives and those around us!

You honestly made my day with these words.

I certainly hope my students see me that way and hopefully can convey the same to the parents as I get ready for conferences.

Honestly Gauri, after I wrote this snippet, there was an aberration that dampened my spirit for a little bit and I almost didn't post and then decided to share anyways. A first feedback from you has assured me so much! Thank you for that.

8. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear dear viji aunty,

So nice to see you here in my snippets. I would absolutely love to hear from you but knowing that even if you don't post, you are reading them makes me happy. Thank you!

I am sorry it has been hard with all that shifting you are going through. Hopefully it will all settle down sooner than later. I hear about age. Take care of yourself aunty. I know your positive spirit will always look at the bright side of everything.

Thank you aunty for your feedback. It made me happy!

Thyagarajan and iyerviji like this.
  9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear JS Ma'm,

I couldn't have said this better.
    The moment I believe I have surrendered, something else crops up and then I have to re learn everything. What's the point anyways if the purpose is not learning? I am so glad to hear that you count a lot too....though I am not a mathemagician like some of my students are, I do believe that it is the only true language! I have no doubt your mom might have had a very mathematical mind and you inherited it as well. While she could estimate so easily and you can do it so well, there are days I struggle to teach students how to 'guestimate'! The one thing I absolutely love and am very grateful for are my students!

Thank you for your feed back ma'm. It truly means a lot!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Oopsies! So many words!! Just the other day I was telling my students that sometimes a picture paints a thousand words and today I hope my thousand words painted a picture for you even if an abstract one!

'Why sir why, is what came to mind when I read your response first, but then if not catching a cold keeps your heart warm, home it is! After all home is where the heart is. You know that. That is the wisdom of ageing gracefully - it teaches you to know yourself better - when to dream and when to get practical. So all good sir, all good!

Enjoy the warmth of home and the loved ones that surround you inside of it. We don't need more.

Thank you as always for your response sir! I appreciate it.

Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.