1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be good and do good

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by simran4u, Jun 21, 2012.

1. simran4u

simran4u Silver IL'ite

View attachment 157770

Dear friends, I was reading an article by Swami Vivekananda and something that deeply touched me was this line" Be good and do good ". On the surface , this line may look very simple but it has lot of depth in it. Being good shows the strength of our character and doing good is the natural outcome of it.

Now the question arises how can we be good? We can be good when we inculcate good and pure thoughts. We have to really practice to think of good thoughts every moment. If we have that sort of purity and unselfishness in us then we can reach buddhahood.

We always judge on the basis of form (physical appearance)rather on the basis of character. Moreover if we judge on the basis of character then too we are caught in dualities that is right or wrong, good or evil and so on. The mind is always under some sort of calculation. When we are calculative and judgemental then we can not see reality as it is and accept it as it is. For seeing things as they are and accepting them as they are, we have to practice Vairagya(dispassion or non attachment)Under the influence of vairagya and equanimity we can see everyone with pure thoughts that is we know that there is positive and negative traits in every person but we have to concentrate only on the goodness and encourage only goodness in others. What we generally do is that we do see our goodness but we fail to see goodness in others.

By seein good we will also do good. But important thing to realize is that we should not get attach to the good we do because that would lead to satisfaction of our ego. We should be greatful to the almighty, that he has given us the means to do good to others. In short we need to practice humility.

Thus let us try to be good and do good.

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

I am a big admirer of Swami Vivekananda and this quote is one the best. I have a plaque in my living room with this quote. When I saw the title of blog my first thought was that it is about Vivekananda's quote. Thank you for a good blog.

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Pallavi,

We are what we are when no one is watching us. Control of our senses and mind play a significant role in how we shape our character and how we can be good and do good. Vairagya (elimination of our desires and attachments) provides us the capabilities to achieve equanimity in our life. Vairagya provides Viveka and Viveka provides Ananda. Therefore, Vivekananda is our ultimate goal.

Viswa

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

simran4u

Good thoughts you have presented. Very well said.

5. Ramvenks

Ramvenks New IL'ite

Yes I agree Seeing Good is Being Good.
    We should develope an attitude of seeing only good in people or things even if it is otherwise Then we entertain pleasant thoughts and we will wonder how this modify our own character and self.
    Just by disregarding the bad and letting it not go and delve in our minds perception changes.
    Our mind can create havoc as well as Bliss.
    Like itching the negative and thinking of bad of people will give you a lot of satisfaction in the beginning but ultimately ruin only ourselves.
    We should develop an attitude of not making a wall out of a brick.Just learn to ignore the unpleasant. it will fade away from memory.
    Ramvenks
    Always think good It will make us Happy ultimately