Be careful while accessing lifts

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Nandshyam, May 21, 2008.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Please be warned

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9...0320cnism4.jpg

[​IMG]

Horrifying experience: Shalini Singh, with her daughter, Samrudhi, narrating how she was trapped in the lift at the apartment complex in East Tambaram. Hours later, a 16-year-old boy died in an accident involving the lift. — CHENNAI: A 16-year-old boy died in an accident involving a lift at an apartment complex on Velachery Main Road in East Tambaram on Tuesday.
    The victim, P. Bharat Raj, had come to a friend’s house on the third floor flat of the complex, Jain’s Abhishek. Around 2 p.m., when he was returning home, he peeped through a gap in the lift’s front door when his head was smashed by the lift car that was coming down from the fourth floor.
    Residents living in nearby apartment units called up security and maintenance staff. They also informed the Selaiyur police station.
    As the lift was jammed in the vault, the maintenance staff used a lever to push it up a little and the student’s body was removed .
    The body was taken to Tambaram Taluk Government Hospital (Chromepet GH) for post-mortem.
    Trapped in the lift Earlier in the day, Shalini Singh and her daughter Samrudhi, about 18 months old, were trapped in the same lift for about 45 minutes when power supply was disrupted. To rescue the child first, the maintenance staff had removed the glass pane fitted on the front door. The glass pane was not put back when the lift started working after the power supply was resumed.
    The Selaiyur police are investigating. Though no arrests have been made so far, a case under Section 304 (a) accidental death owing to negligence has been registered.
    The victim was a Standard X student in Sri Sankara Vidyalaya Matriculation Higher Secondary School in East Tambaram and lived with his parents in another apartment complex on Velachery Main Road.
    His mother, Vasanthi, and father, Pichandi, are both Central government employees. Bharat Raj’s elder sister Sharmila is married and lives in T.Nagar.
    “He was fond of cricket. He was jubilant after his selection to the State Under 19 cricket team was announced recently,” said A. Aravind, the victim’s cousin. “We could not believe it. We were so shocked,” said Neeta, mother of the victim’s friend Siddharth. Minutes before the incident, Bharat Raj was with Siddharth.
    Talented boy Vasantha Mahadevan, Headmistress of Sankara Vidyalaya, said Bharat Raj was an extremely good and talented boy.
    Recalling their experience, Ms.Shalini Singh said, “It was about 11 a.m. when the lift stopped between second and third and second floors owing to a power failure. I called a neighbour who alerted the maintenance staff.”
    “It was too scary and suffocating. I could have managed, but my daughter suffered too much. I will never ever take the lift again,” she said.
    As news about the incident spread, other residents of the complex gathered near the block and were visibly upset. The complex is new and Kone lifts were installed in most of the nine blocks. Staff at the apartment complex said the maintenance of the elevator was being looked after by the company.

God be with his family :( :( :( Such a talented guy... Very tragic..

2. Venonimiss

Venonimiss Bronze IL'ite

Nandhu, My stomach churned when I read about the horrible accident. Oh terrible! Those Construction Quality people, Building Safety people do not follow the codes and laws and do not care about the people. Oh…it is painful to think about the parents! God help our people who’s everyday lives are literally in the hands of bunch of idiots.

3. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Venus, :( :( very horrible... One thing I like in US or for that matter in these developed countries is the value for life... whether its stuff like this or even pulling over to the shoulder to let go an ambulance or fire engine... Back in India, I kinda feel everyone is so materialistic and self-centered.. They dont value others life at all..

In this tragedy, couldn't they have put a sign stating the risk? or put something covering it? Cha... irresponsibility and now it costed someone's dear son.. :(

Seeing the picture, I just was so sad.. :(

4. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi nandhu, it is really horrifying...i can personally relate to it because we own one of those jains flats also elsewhere in chennai...i always found their lifts not convenient to use...when everyone is going in for double automatic steel doors with no glass front, jains is stuck with the cheaper colapsible door lifts with a separate door on each floor that has to be opened manually...while moving in and everytime with some shopping bags it is a pain to get in and out of these lifts...just to save a few bucks these builders are overlooking very important safety considerations..it beats me to read that they dint put up a caution sign when a lift shaft is open for anyone to peep in....here abroad, even if there is a few drops of water on the floor, they put up a caution wet floor sign...and dont they have a emergency intercom or alarm switch inside the lift for use when someone gets trapped? i bet these cheap ones dont have that also.....

people say chennai is developing very fast with the high rise apartments...
    when we were looking for buying flats in chennai, jains seemed to be a economical option...we really liked some of their high rises and when we enquired about some penthouses (G+15) they said all their unsold penthouses are in legal problem...the reason...they built G+15 apt. buildings in places where the local building regulations allow only G+13..so the top two floors are in danger of being demolished and that they were appealing for approval....i was truly horrified...if they demolish those floors the whole building will lose structural stability to some extent...look at the way these people building with absolutely no concern about building bylaws and regulations and trying to get it approved by all sorts of underhand deals...
    what sort of safety considerations can we expect from builders like this...

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Nandshyam....

thanks for such an important post....really it is horrifying...builders must be taken to court but our legal system have so many loopholes that these people always escape and continue their inhumane work for little money for their family....How they will compensate for such a child whose parents lost their dreams..they must be charged for this drastically

6. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Twice even i got caught in Lift. I was alone. Though for minutes it was a horrible experience. So from then i avoid going alone in Lifts..

7. tanmayi

tanmayi Bronze IL'ite

I too was trapped in a lift once but fortunately was saved on time. This is very horrifying. It is absolutely right, there is no value for human life in India.

8. swanu

swanu New IL'ite

hi friends

its really so sad abt. to know the accidents.

its really terible and now since i read this i'm so scared and dont even feel like using lift.

as i also faced once when i got stuck in the lift but luckily came out in 15 mins.

regards

anu

9. meenakrishnan

meenakrishnan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Nandhshyam,
    That is horrifying, really.I was thinking that I was unnecessarily afraid of using lifts.-kind of phobia...If it is climbing down or climbing up only two floors, I prefer the stairs.
    After reading your post, I took a deep breath ....Once I experienced power failure in a textile shop.Full of crowd, and the staff closed all the doors for fear of theft .By the time they started the generator and opened the door, I was half dead...suffocation and sweating...We have frequent power failures in India and something needs to be done regarding the lifts...Tnx for posting this...
    Love
    Meena

10. sasisenthil

sasisenthil New IL'ite

I too read this news in paper yesterday. So Sad...