1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Battle With Batter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi, I loved the write-up about batter battles!

I've tried just about everything. Wrapped the bowl in a sweater, placed it on a heating pad, placed it in the proofing drawer ... it's always hit-or-miss for me. The only guaranteed stuff is store-bought.

DH ruins it for me by saying this about store-bought batter: If it's properly fermented, somebody's un-gloved, probably unwashed, hand stirred the batter at some point. :anguished:

shravs3 and jskls like this.
  2. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

@jskls Lakshmi i am wondering how i missed this post.Battle with Batter well written.correct proportion of Rice and Urad dhal and adding rightly needed salt and mixing well with hands give soft idlies.In the villages they say Kaimanam is essential for fermentation.you have received a lot of respinses giving tips and so mine may be a repetition of others.
    Congrats for the nomination for Finest post

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for your informative feedback Dear Periamma

This is what I lack. Kaimanam ... anyway found a solution now :) Thanks for the wishes Periamma

4. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Lakshmi,

I had a chance to discuss your thread with my MIL. She gave me a suggestion for my misery of cleaning up overflowing fermented Batter after I hand mix Rice and Urad Dhal batter nicely. She suggested that I should add a little Aval (battered rice) and ice cubes while grinding Urad Dhal which not only increases softness of idlis but also reduce batter fermenting without overflowing and spilling over. I tested it last night and it worked. Please let me know if it works at your end. :) But I am yet to test the softness of Idlis and I will let you know once I taste it. :)

Viswa

Thyagarajan and jskls like this.
  5. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

Well written post! I enjoyed reading it.My version of sponge idli is included in this post,try it for a change.
    Sago / Sabbakki Idli

jskls likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Oops... sorry I had missed fb to your post Amica. Thanks for the fb Amica. I really haven’t used store bought batter. Too skeptic about that. As your DH says I’m not comfy. Try in Instapot yogurt setting. It might work

Amica likes this.
  7. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Nice write up Lakshmi and I had read some of tips for Idli batter, too.
    Oh! Omg! I had forgotten to soak rice and Urad dal for dosa. Loll!
    Thank you for your thread reminds my dosa batter!

jskls likes this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@jskls
    :hello:With so many FBs , it would Make it in Guinness record Book.
    2. OMG- there are so many experts to make idli in different latitudes and altitudes with odd methods and attitudes!?
    3. I as a school going up in lad often used to go and order for one plate idli one Anna and will never touch idli until I had several helpings - mugs of onion (small) Sambhar at triplicane Rathna cafe.
    3. I used help my mom to grind the batter and some time with my sister too.
    4. Some men palms are great and now i understand how they can also turn into an asset to spouse to be proud of.

BETTY BOUGHT bit of BATTER TO MAKE BITTER BATTER BETTER

5. My daily grind includes pouring the idli ready batter into pans and stuff it gently into pressure cooker and reckon time exactly 18 minutes during warm weather and scoop out carefully the idlis dipping the spatula in cold water as often as possible!
    Here in CHENNAI in our area there are as many as seven different brands of ready batter available. I tried all of them singly and several and jointly either mixing batter of different brands or pour into the pan a spoon of thisbrand and that. Invariably it is soft and palatable. Once my timer failed and the idli gave off burnt smell and the cooker became angry showed up its bottom turned from flat to inverted dome shape!
    Hats off to you for fermenting idli for the IL'ites of all nation in different latitudes and latitudes including Jammu Kashmir where temp now reported minus 7 degrees C.
    Congrats for being nominated for this post. All the best 4 idli and rewards and awards from eve of the day of New year and onwards.
    REGARDS.
    GOD BLESS .

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    jskls likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Lakshmi,

Adding ice cubes and battered rice delayed fermentation but it happened finally. We were able to get to it before it overflowed this time and I didn't have to wake up early or check several times in the night. Let me taste the Idlis and let you know. :)

jskls and Thyagarajan like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for this tip. Will try it in summer. As in winter I have hard time with fermentation.

Thanks for taking time to read and for the recipe. Will check it out