1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Battle With Batter

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jskls, Dec 12, 2018.

1. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I prefer that too not just the taste but also it is the safest food ..

I always have a huge pan to put beneath the batter vessel so that when it overflows it stays within another vessel. But at times it would outflow the second vessel too and that is when the pain of cleaning oven steps in

Ha ha ... In summer when the house is warm I soak the ingredients overnight and grind it first thing in the morning. so that fermented batter would be ready by evening/night.

Thanks for sharing. Brought a smile (the feeling of I am not alone is unbeatable right?)

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

@kkrish
    Hope your mother is feeling alright. Take care.

That's a nice idea for parboiled rice ... oh my god, oster blender scares me .. poor thing how much we have misused it for Indian cooking ...

what a huge relief. Thanks to the Indian grocers who even import Krishna sweets these days ..

:eek:Now don't start me on Vada. A friend teases me so badly about my vadas. They would say that I would kill people with my vadas:cry::fearscream:.. With Idlies atleast if idly doesn't come I can make dosas so multiple trial and errors worked but with Vada I can't keep frying and eating fried foods as trial and error. Not ready to harm my waistline but decided that Vada is not for me in this lifetime. I gave up trying to learn it, Making urad dal vadas is not in our family tradition :tonguewink:

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Hey Menu, how have you been? Long time no poems ... ? all good and hope all is well with you too.
    ha ha you have trained your DH very well .. :) :)

ha ha baked idlies 4 times and now that makes me feel good ... that I have company .. nice to see you here

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

That's wonderful. You are good at training DH and delegating the job too ... I am reminded of this song
    "Ellarum maavaatta kathukkidanum .. ellarukkum ellamum therinjiruthaa athu illatha nerathil kai kodukkum" .

Thyagarajan and poovai like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

That is an interesting share. I had always wondered about fermented products being given as prasadam in some temples. In our tradition fermented food other than yogurt is not used for pooja or as prasadam. Thanks for sharing this interesting tamil poem

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I never tried idlies with idly rava. The first time I had my MIL's softest idlies then it had been my lifetime goal to perfect and master the art of making idlies...
    Wow that is good to know. Thanks for sharing..

Yes I have noticed that any food I cooked never got spoiled even in warm weather and it is quiet opposite with my MIL. So much with fermentation and the hands behind it .

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I never went to Murugan idli shop.. next time maybe... adding a handful of tapiaco pearls while soaking the rice also helps in fluffiness as well as softness. Wish you success at the earliest with your dosa batter. WIll be interested to read your story on that .

shravs3 likes this.
  8. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I too prefer soft idlies and not the grainy textured ones. That's why this long battle. I tried adding yogurt a little baking soda and what not. nothing worked. 6 months we live in subzero temps and within oven unless it is turned on it will be like a refrigerator and so the hardships. These days I add a handful of tapiaco pearls to get soft fluffy and white idlies. thanks for stopping by

9. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Yes, grinding in old traditional way involved lot of hand eye coordination. I too have used it couple of times. The taste that stone grinder brings when done manually is unbeatable be it idli batter or grinding powders or chutneys. My grandma never used any mixie/grinder but her bisibelabath was unbeatable. Nothing beats the taste of fresh ground powders in old fashioned way and she lived well into 80s with least doc visits.

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  10. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

ha ha that's what my husband says... you need to do it every single day until you get it consistently good. so whenever I make something new and if it turns out good he wouldnt agree until I prove that I can make it with the same taste again.

that's the love you are stuffed with ... When one feeds you with love it is a blessing. stay blessed.

Thank you :)