Basic info before reaching Dallas, Texas?

Discussion in 'Indians in Dallas' started by Karthema, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

this is hema from chennai.. coming to dallas with my DH & 45 days old baby in the end of this month.... I would need your valuable suggestions on the below

1. What is the common weather condition there?
    2. What are the basic(all) items that we should carry if we are planning to stay there for 2+years?
    3. Will we be able to find Indian shops near by to get indian gerocery items?
    4. Will we be able to find an apartment near by the office("Isis mobile commerce, 13455 Noel Rd Tower 2, Ste 700, Dallas, TX 75240 ")?
    5. What would be the average rent?
    6. Does it wise to directly book an apartment without staying long time in the hotel?
    7. What about the public transport? Because, we don't plan to buy/lease a car.
    8. will we able to book a pead in advance to handle bbby's health issues due to long travei(jetlag)?
    9. Suggest me a good hotel to stay for initial period?

2. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Regarding 8. Pediatrician for your child, does your spouse already have insurance in US? Is your baby covered under the insurance? Will he have it on Day 0 in US? If yes, then you can book a pediatrician.

3. connectaru

connectaru New IL'ite

Hi Hema,

Nice to know that you are coming to Dallas and that too quite close to my place. I live in 75244. I moved here exactly 3 months back. Yes, the same day in July 2013 I boarded my flight to Dallas :). Here are few answers that I know,

1. Weather is usually dry and sunny during summer [Max after I came was 102 F/ 38 C] and tolerable during winter. Winters are not extreme like other US states. It does't usually snow here. I am yet to experience the winter here, right now its 12 C.

2. I carried the following basics for cooking our Indian food, Mixer & Grinder[110 volts]
    one 5 litre cooker and one 3 litre cooker [induction base], 2 3 extra cooker gaskets.

3. There are Indian groceries like "India Bazaar, Patel Brothers" but in about 20-30 min drive.

4. Two nearby apartments to your office where many Indians live are
    1. The Dorchester[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: basicinfo"]Placement on map is approximate
    5300 Spring Valley Road
    Dallas, TX 75254

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

2. LakeView At Parkside
    3950 Spring Valley Road
    Farmers Branch, TX 75244

5. Around 800$ - 900$ rent.
    6. Its better to have a look at your apartment before you move in.
    7. Here is the tough part, although public transports are available many dont use it for safety reasons. You may need to hire a taxi initially. if you settle in one of the above mentioned apartments you can get along with your Indian neighbours and arrange for a car pool with them. All Indians are very friendly and ready to help especially to newcomers that too with a 45 days old baby :2thumbsup:
    8. Iam not sure about this. They will ask for insurance but your initial 7 days or so travel insurance might suffice.
    9. Candlewood Suites
    13939 Noel Road
    Dallas, TX 75240
    Embassy Suites
    14021 Noel Rd
    Dallas, TX 75240
    These are two nearby hotels for you that would work out within average cost.

Hope these information are helpful to you.

Bye.. :wave

Eshbala likes this.