Bandra-Worli Sea Link - An Engineering Marvel

Discussion in 'Mumbai & Navi Mumbai' started by QueenieB, Jun 30, 2009.

1. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

After 10 years of expectations , delays and, of course, hardcore planning and labour, the spectacular Bandra-Worli Sea Link connoted the 'Engineering Marvel' of Indiais set to open at midnight on Tuesday. Come Wednesday morning and a new day will dawn for Mumbai's rush-hour motorists, with the Rs 750-crore link offering a new route between the island city and the western suburbs.

Bandra-Worli Sea Link Facts:
    <link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CUser%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
    Length of bridge (4.7km): 63 times the Qutub Minar

Weight of bridge (6.7L tonnes): 50,000 African elephants

424 cables for main roadway: can support 900 tons each

Length of steel wire used (37,680km): Nearly the earth's circumference

Concrete used: 2.3 lakh cubic metres

Height of main towers (126m): 43-storey buidling

Pile caps: Bridge rests on 135 pile caps, the largest being 55 m in length and 55 m in breadth (half a football field)

Peak-hour sweat: 4,000 workers and 150 engineers

Do you think Bandra-Worli Sea Link will be able to bring about a difference to your traffic woes? Share your thoughts.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. QueenieB

QueenieB New IL'ite

Here's a panoramic view of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link for all of you on this Inauguration day. :)

Congrats to Mumbai! Another Marvel to its list......:thumbsup

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Attached Files:

3. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    In NDTV there was a report saying it actually might not reduce the travel time becasue of the long queuese you might face at the toll plaza and also due to traffic stops/congestions at 3 other places(I dont exactly remember the places,one is some Church). But hope this will help mubaikers in a great way to add in more minutes to their quality life than on spending it on road:)

4. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

Hi

Thanks for the share.

We should be really proud that the largest sea link is in our city

And ami this NDTV people just chit chat on any useless issue as they want to create hype and keep their channel occupied.

So donot beleive on th Tv channels.

It will be great if we experience and then share here.

Of course the toll will take time to pass but it will not take the same time to reach as the govt wont be stupid spending so much money on a useless sea link.I dont think there will be much traffic after tehy start the toll.

5. sejalmodi

sejalmodi New IL'ite

Wow! the pictures are lovely. Thanks for sharing. I agree with you both amihere and Prettina, the congestion and traffic jam as of now till July 5 cannot be the count of the actual time required for travel over the sea link i.e 7 min. I guess, now it is taking 30-35 mins as the vehicles are moving at 40 kmph.

Anyone here, who can share first hand information about driving over the Sea link?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. AakritiM65

AakritiM65 New IL'ite

First of all!! I am totally jealous.... I wish I could zoom across this beautiful bridge and experience the view. I want to go to Mumbai only to see this bridge. The inaugral ceremony was spectacular and made every one really proud.

Don't worry... These mediawallahs love to create a mountain out of nothing. Every new thing takes time to fall in place and work properly. The government and engineers are not idiots that they spent so much money and time in making this bridge.

It will be very useful for Mumbaikers!! Congrats!!

7. born2vin

born2vin Bronze IL'ite

Surely an useful one for mumbai people.A good lifting factor to see indian engineers talent and a jewel added to the crone of developing india.

8. SoniaVerma

SoniaVerma Senior IL'ite

Great achievement by Indian Engineer's indeed. I'm just waiting to visit Mumbai and check out for myself. I saw people on television are just euphoric about the experience. Check out the toll fees here.
    [FONT=&quot]<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->[/FONT]Do you think, people will be encouraged to take the sea-link with this fees on?

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

9. roopanair123

roopanair123 Gold IL'ite

hope this bridge seems to be a boon for the commuters..thanks for sharing the pictures.

10. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    thanks for sharing lovely pictures............