1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Balcony Gardens

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Anandchitra, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Being an apartment dweller shouldn't keep you from having a garden. No matter where you live, you can find space for an outdoor garden. If you're a city dweller, you can transform your balcony into more than just barbeque or bike storage. You can create a soothing outdoor retreat by selecting containers and plants that utilize every available bit of growing space.
    Many types of gardens can be created on balconies. With the addition of floral color, a balcony becomes an entertainment center just right for relaxing. Turf, small shrubs, and dwarf trees can be used to create a suburban landscape in miniature above the ground. Balconies even offer the opportunity for food production, with flowering fruit trees and container-grown herbs and vegetables.

Container gardening often is the easiest solution. Pots and planter boxes come in a myriad of shapes and sizes, take up little space, and are movable and easily maintained.

Please share what you have here to inspire and delight all of us garden lovers.I have attached a couple of pictures from my friends balcony to get us started.

Attached Files:

3 people like this.

2. Mythraeyi

Mythraeyi Silver IL'ite

Hi,

These are really beautiful. I am inspired to start one in my aparment now. maybe this spring / summer I will start with a few plants.

thanks for sharing

3. Meeta

Meeta Bronze IL'ite

Dear AC,
    I love to have as many plants in my appartment but our appartment has so many rules and regulations not to block the spaces in balcony......
    Apart from that the chilling winter with mild to heavy snowfall......its not possible on my part to have such a beautiful garden in balcony....as we have to bring all the plants indoor around August-September......
    Anyways, I have a windowsill garden in my home and I have named it "Green Channel".
    Will definitely put some pics tomorrow as I don't have any in the office.......

4. Anandchitra

Dear Meeta and Mythraeyi
    Due to the overwhelming warm response from you two BowI am posting more pictures

Remember you dont need too much space. During spring if you visit your local garden stores you will be able to buy flowering annuals which need not be brought in for winter but will give you great color and beauty during summer months.
    keep us posted .would love to hear from u.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  5. Anandchitra

Some Tulips

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. vaidehi

vaidehi Silver IL'ite

Hi chitra,

Wow... so nice to see balcony garden. I am tempted to have one, but i don't get any sunshine into my apt bonk i guess i would have to drop the idea of having any plants.

I have one mini rose plant , and coz of lack of sunshine its getting dried up and the leaves have been turning yellow. it pains me a lot to see a plant not being nurtured. but lucky u and ur friend. i bet by looking at those wonderful plants , u should be making ur day.

BTW can u get me some tips to get my mini rose shrub back to life:help

cheers
    vaidehi

7. Anandchitra

Hope this helps
    remember to always provide enough water. Keep it moist at all times but do not allow the plant to stand in water drain any excess water so that roots won’t drown. A cool spot with bright indirect sunlight will encourage reblooming. Remove withered blooms and yellowing leaves.
    If you can maintain the plant till spring time (cooler climate areas) then it is best to plant your rose outdoors. Prune it 5 inches from the ground and fertilize

Attached Files:

8. anooch

anooch Bronze IL'ite

hi anand chitra!
    thats really a beautiful garden. i also do spend a lot on plants every summer but u know my apt doesn't get proper sunshine and u know they dont grow properly but still i dont give up .. now we moved to a new apt.. hope this time i will be happy with my balcony garden .. i have a snap of my garden .. i couldnt find it but sure will post ... bye
    anooch

9. Anandchitra

Anooch
    Thanks for the reply. Hope to see your pictures. I feel its relatively simple to grow plants. most of them need sunlight, water and food. Please tell which plants you bought and hope i can be of help
    Looking forward to hearing from you

10. anooch

anooch Bronze IL'ite

hi anandchitra!
    thats a quick response... i buy trialing petunia ofcourse they are annual.. tulips, hardmums and some white lily big flower smells good.. and some grass variety plants . when ever i plant tulips in a pot they will die but last summer i planted in the ground and u know to my wonder they came out but unfortunately we vacated that apt..last week. this time i have to plant them in a pot only coz we live upstairs of course last but not least jasmine but every time i kill it and when summer comes i will buy new plant ... last summer i bought a good healthy plant paying 20$ from farm market but no use ... my husband told me to threw it but i have some hopes so i kept it like that. could you suggest some robust plants which will be alive in the hands of a gardner like me :D
    thanks anooch