1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Badhaai Do Trailer - Lavender Marriage

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Rihana, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Felt nice to watch the trailer, main reason being the lead pair -- Bhumi Pednekar and Rajkummar Rao.

It is presented as a sequel to Badhaai Ho and examines another subject that is still mostly taboo - LGBTQ relationships.

I had read about gay or lesbian people who enter a heterosexual marriage of convenience due to pressure from society, family or fans. Didn't know it had a term - lavender marriage.

Pednekar's girl-friend/ love interest is a north-eastern girl. Very refreshing to see a character from the north-east play an important role in a movie; one that could have been played by anyone.

I am a little wary of humorous handling of taboo topics, but the trailer promises a movie worth-watching. I just hope they don't show the hero and heroine falling for each other!

Anyways, I will watch it just for the lead pair! Both are among my favorite actors.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    Ranchu, Laks09, Caide and 1 other person like this.

2. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

I am waiting for its ott release. I saw review of it handful of PPL has given good reviews.

I am just trying not to expect and compare it with badhaai ho .

Main leads are my fav and I wanna know how has chum acted in it.

And as you said I don't wanna see them fall for each other but there are chances. Bumi tried to avoid chum when she tried to be intimate with her.

Whereas another confusion is at the end of trailer, Rajkumar has hesitantly mentioned he likes men.

I just wanna enjoy it hoping for ott release

Rihana likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Rihana - I went for this movie a couple of days ago. I won't spoil it for you but it's definitely a very good movie. 4.5/5 from me!
    Of course Raj Kumar Rao and Bhumi have aced their performance, but every actor has done a fantastic job. The movie is realistic. It portrays the dilemma faced by both men and women with different sexual orientations. The societal pressure, the moms, the aunts are all realistically captured.
    It also has its bit of comedy. I was all by myself in the cinema and am glad I got to laugh to my hearts content without worrying about disturbing other patrons.
    I wish the ending were different but for that to happen, change has to happen within the society. You'll know what I mean when you watch the movie.
    I've watched other movies in Hindi with the LGBTQ subject, but I think this movie surpassed all of those others. Almost to the level of a Malayalam movie. I don't ever compare Malayalam Cinema and Bollywood but this movie is very well made!

Thank you for this post! If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't have known about the movie and would have missed a beautiful opportunity.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Rihana

Badhaai Do is now on Netflix!

Caide likes this.
  5. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

Super pa thanks for the info

Rihana likes this.
  6. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

The just loved the movie. Glad it had very good ending . I was hoping for more screen space for chum though it is less I am not disappointed about it . Because every character was portrayed in such a way that in every place it is really necessary to show them.

Gulshan -very very small role but he kind looked cute and smart use of this small role in his career.

Rajkumar and bhumi -they choose different genres everytime and they are nailing it with their performance. Be it a ghost genre movie or rom-com they just does very good job. They work hard through their career from small roles to here is amazing.

Their way of improvising their built for the movie shows how they have worked hard.

I watch many series mostly asian series so I don't find any hesitation in seeing this movie. I think that stroke my mind when the trailer released was that glad the censor board dint reject it.

Unlike ayushman khurana's "Chandigarh kare ashiqui" ( that movie had its own charm and it's totally different) the content of the movie wasn't changed anywhere here. It went with the flow.

Every 10min once a must comedy scenes was really funny and I should understand some comedy scenes deep hidden meaning which a human face in real life(there is a scene where Rajkumar informs his brother-in-law about sumi,I don't wanna reveal what he said.) But what he did though many can find it funny it really is happening in this world. And karma is really a boomerang. And here bhumi played well groomed calm boomerang role in Raj's life when she does the same to him.

The entire story's every scene had a message about the movie but I felt like the entire message was shown in the last 15 mins may be half an hour. I can understand the director or writer's feel to safeguard the movie as the LGBT is not common topic yet in India. But the message was too quickly said and the movie was finished which is same as ayushman's movie. Hope people get the message.

I loved everything in the movie. Nothing looked awkward it were decently picturised romance scenes. The best thing is the director has clearly shown us what he wants us to see. The love,the urge to get love, the urge for acceptance,the urge of not to hurt. The love between leads were shown through their eyes,lips through expressions than just kissing everytime like normal movie. I will say it as smart move by director too.

Only thing , my dh :roflmao: he is already tolerating my asian drama obsession which includes BL series(many think it looks bad but there are really nice decent series out there) . The way my dh looked at me when I watched it was really fun. He is not against such relationships he just feel already I am unromantic plus I am further watching series now this too has been added in my list is what his worry is

Rihana likes this.
  7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The movie was repetitive genre like Chandigarh movie, though both had different plots, this one was more realistic. Ayushman's movie was more dramatic and showed the girl as coming from a well-to-do family supporting her financially.

one thing I did not like in badhaai dho was the violence they showed with hero's partner. That was not necessary and will scare anyone gay watching this movie. They could have showed the breakup without hitting each other.

Rihana likes this.
  8. Rihana

I distinctly remember typing up my review of the movie but the post is not here! Dang.. by now I've forgotten most of my "first impressions."

Hmm.. too filmi ending? I agree. A different ending would be tough to show as this involves parents, siblings etc, not just the two pairs.
    "Almost to the level of a Malayalam" movie is an apt summary. I found myself thinking - now Hindi cinema is handling gay/lesbian romance as well as they do male-female romance. : )

Very very cute. I watched the procession scene many times and also the one where he puts his business card in Rajkumar's pocket/shirt. : ) His (Gulshan Devaiah's) 2015 movie Hunterrr is also good.

Yes comedy neatly woven. I liked the scene where Rajkumar's sisters come to know about Bhumi and recall that they all slept together on the floor with her. : ) : )

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    Laks09 likes this.
  9. Rihana

True.. that part was not needed. They could have shown them breaking up for other reasons and with no hitting. Physical violence dilutes the main message from the movie.

Ranchu likes this.