1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Memory

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Bad Memory

I have a bad problem.My memory is not what it used to be.I have selective amnesia,if that is the correct word for Forgetfullness.Yesterday i was watching " Gupt" i think on Max, and i saw it after the interwal part.I have seen this movie in the theatre when it was relased in 95 i think, and loved it.And i knew that the movie was super, and Kajol was the killer.But I did not remember Manisha Koirala being in the movie.

But as i was watching the movie, I saw Om Puri, the inspector as Uddham Singh i think,and he lets off Bobby Doel when he has Prem Chopra in the Car and kidnapping him,i realised i did not remember this scene.And what followed later, was the part where Prem is tortured, and he comes to the hospital where one of the injured , Raza Murad,all bandaged up, is giving Shairies, to the person coming,and it was so hilarious that scene.I saw it till the end, and realised that i had just forgotten the movie 90%.The impression remains, that the movie was good or bad,and one or two scenes, but majority is forgotton.

I clearly remember the 2001 series, which we won 2 - 1 from the australians, but dont remember the 1998 series when Aussies were here at all.Just remember we went to Sharjah for the Triangular, where Sachin was at his best,and slaughtered Shane Warne, there was a locust swarm and the game was stopped for half an hour.I asked my nephew what had happened in the Test series and he told me that Navjot Siddhu had started the attack on Shane Warne, and Sachin took it forward.Besides that i just dont remember anything.

Why is it that i can sometimes remember so clearly incidents that happened 30 years ago so clearly, and recent 10 yr events fox me?I had loved a novel called " Shogun" by James Clavell, read in the mid 70's, i remember i was rivetted by it, and all i remember is it was set in the 1700 something, and it is a great novel, but nothing beyond it ?Andi can remember the scandals of the movie stars of back then.Why so ?

Another embarassing fact is I dont remember names well.I had a neighbour, when we moved into this lane, and we used to say Hi to each other, then started to have drinks together, and i forgot his name and i used to call him Boss, which is his nic to this date, and i was too ashamed to ask him his name after knowing him for so long ! And someone i have fought with in business, a supplier, and told him to shoo off, sometimes i meet him after a year or so, I forget i had fought with him, thinking it is polite, i say, hi man,and make small talk to later realise this is the guy i had thrown out, and i just forgot about it.Very embarassing.

But this habit has its plus too.Novels when i re read again say after 5 years, i love them again, like Robert Ludlum, or Jeffery Archer,as i have forgotton most of the story, just remembering that it was great and i had loved it then.Scarletti Inheritance, one of the first novels of Ludlum read long long back,I just remembered it was about the Nazis and super,but didn’t remember a thing.A few months back read the book again, and it was totally like reading a new novel.I have heard eating fish is good for the brains, but looks like the quality of fish i eat has a lot to be desired !

I had remembered that in 85, Shastri had won the Audi car in australia,and the whole team sat on it and in it.But i thought we had beaten Australia, later to realise it was a triangular and we won the match beating the Pakis,and Australia were not playing in the final.What a fatal flaw really.How could i forget this basic thing.

I just hope i dont forget Indus, and my friends here.I remember all the Musical Chairs of the film stars,things which are silly,and so many things I forget which are basic.Would love yr comments and expierences on these matters from our dear I Lites, and guidance.Thanks everyone.Regards

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. krish22

krish22 Senior IL'ite

Hello Kamalji,

May be because you were concentrating on the things then when they were happening which you remember now forgotten the rest which were unimportant to .

May be because of the age also.I don't mean you are old .............
    Even I don't remember my 3yr old' diaper rash ointment brand as my sil was asking for it.

We can make a policy that forgotten things are bad and what we remeber are good.

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Krish,

You know what.Today i was walking with my doctor friend , my age,and i asked him thuis question, why do we remember certain things so clearly and why we forget recent things.

He said, brain has a limited memory.It will retain certain things and delete certain ones.

And as u said, what means to us we remember, and the rest we forget.Thanks.kamal

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kamalji,

So you are part of the group...selective amnesia. i know people who are selective listeners along with selective amnesia...:tongue.

But i think you are blessed in a way. but i wonder, why do we forget all the important things and remember all the unnecessary things....

Wish there was a erase button for choosing which memories to be removed....and record for keeping...

Yes..the memories are directly proportional to our brain's retention capacity.....

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Shanti,

i suppose we cant question God.if we were to retain all the things we did in life,we would go mad.To prevent that he made us forgetful.HAHA.Corny explanation ?Well thats the best i can come up with.I am not worried that i am forgetful, i have been touched by so many telling me, that this is not to worry.i am not, just wanted to know what readers think,do they too have amnesia like me:spinThanks and regards.kamal