1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Experience With Desi's!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by ThirumathiJ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. ThirumathiJ

ThirumathiJ Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

In this far away land from home, we all get excited when we see fellow Desis.
    But they always end up hurting us. Getting hurt in friendships is common, but now a days
    Desis mentality have gone down the drain. (not all but vast majority).

My personal observation at least in the city where I live New Jersey.
    They only come to you if they need something. ( soooo sad, because I love to make friends).
    I had 2 neighbors in different years of course, moved in to our neighborbood. We exchanged hi's.
    I would make an attempt to call whenever I am bored, like every alternate day to just chit chat.
    She would only call if she needs some kind of information, like whom do I contact in case of this problem, where do I go to get this/that sort of thing. Need to borrow something etc. NO CASUAL CALLS! Its always with some agenda.

Both neighbors did that to me.

The worst highlight of all.........both moved out of the place without saying BYE!
    That was extremely hurtful. Both, until 1 day before moving out, knocked my door to borrow stuff.
    But could not knock my door the next day to bid goodbye.
    We had exchanged food in the duration of their stay and all, but I guess they thought we no longer need them, why do I have to say bye? That's the end of it.

Please share your experiences as well.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In the initial days, yes, after that the novelty wears off. Now, if I see an Indian restaurant in a vacation spot and I haven't had Indian food for days, I get excited. No more getting excited to see desis.

Not just desis.. in general people are very occupied with many things.

Crux of the problem. We do not live in times when we call up people if we are bored. Really. A "just like that called you" is an oddity. And every alternate day is just too often for a new neighbor friend. In fact, come to think of it, calling up itself is outdated!

Calls to/from "neighbor" friends are usually with an agenda such as can I borrow some sugar, do you have the jump-start thingie, a tool, or to tell them their garage is open.

Happens... : ) One neighbor moved out without saying bye but evited me to new house house-warming. : )

So the above was my experience. And I am fine with it. These are not my "friends" friends. They are neighbors who keep an eye out for strange persons in the neighborhood, who collect my mail. I might trust them with my house keys too, but, they are not friends. If they move away without saying bye, oh well... there are bigger problems in this world.. like the move in/move out happening on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. : )

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  3. ThirumathiJ

Hi Rihana,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess there are quite a few leaving the neighborhood without "bye's. It shows their un-ethical and selfishness.

Btw I was a housewife at that time and so was she. So we had lots of time in our hands. In certain neighborhoods especially in apartments, even more so in NJ apts, the environment is just like in India. They sit outside watching their kids play, just chatting away with the neighbors, going for walks.....these are all still common in heavily Indian populated neighborhood. When the school bus picks their kids, a bunch of parents will still be standing there for hour an hour chatting away till today.
    People do call the so called friends and chat over the phone or go to their houses everyday.

But If you are working its a different story, I get your point. Then no one will have time to socialize.

Even this neighbor used to come to my house twice a week because their children gets bored. The only complaint I have is when you move so closely how could they just leave without saying bye? That was hurtful. It was not like we were random strangers. Ofcourse they met us frequently though with some agenda, but still we valued their friendship. As I said ealier, I love to make friends, and that's why it hurts.
    Hope there would be someday where I could become like you Rihana, caring less for Indians!

Of course this is not my greatest problem, just ranting here because it just happened! :)
    Don't worry about someone moving into 1600 Penn ave. There cannot be any drastic changes at least for now in the next 1 year. Takes time to implement them too.

skalluri, Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  4. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Rihana has given the perfect reply.

Also,am I missing something here?what is it about 1600 penn ave??

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2017
    Rihana likes this.
  5. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Obamas out, Trump(s) in.

Rihana and anika987 like this.
  6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

: ) I didn't say that! After you've been through a few rounds of broken friendships, acquaintance-ships, relationships (family/relatives), you realize that finally it is you, your spouse and your kids. Until the kids grow up. And often, it is just you who is there for you.

Even in those areas or apartment complexes densely populated with Indians, there are some who keep to themselves, and some like your neighbors who are so matlabi (opportunist) that they won't say bye when they move. It is just human nature.. some people are like that, if they think you are no longer of any use to them, they drop you just like that. And, maybe, just maybe, they are moving under not-so-happy circumstances like a job loss and don't want to talk.

7. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

Rihana just spoke my mind..

Some things which I learnt after being in USA more than a decade:.

1)USA is not India when it comes to society/relationships/friendships.

2)Friendships are so unatural here.Mostly forced and adapted.

3)In USA everyone seems in par and equal but no we are not.social status makes thinking different.Hence mingling it tough.For e.g.:In India,I live in a middle class society and more or less we are all on the same level.Culture,thinking is same.Imagine in India I live next to a rich neighbor.They might be civil but they won't mingle.(This opinion might differ)

4)Amway is a big problem.

5)In India we have a support system through family.So we don't give weightage for friends in sense even if they don't call we are fine as we have zillion other people to make small talk with.That way we are not lonely and less expectations.So friendships are more relaxed and no pressure.When we meet,we are natural,relaxed and have fun.

Now,Here we have expectations and we scrutinize friendships coz we have no support system and we are lonely.We force ourselves unnaturally to make friendships.When they don't call,we do all these permutations and combinations about them,confuse ourselves and become upset.

Expectations have to be nil unfortunately for smoother relations.

6)Only one thing you can expect in friendships.YOU NEED to be WHO YOU ARE.thats all.If you feel like calling,call.if you feel like meeting them,ask.Dont expect from them.Just make yourself happy that way.This way we become detached.life is less complicated.

7) Sometimes we meet junk people who we can't avoid.In India atleast,you can vent about them to family or some friend.Here we are dealing them ourselves,our mind.We again get stressed.Thats what happens to me.I was never this person back in India but have learnt a lot about friends and people here and now things are better.

8)I miss family when I meet opportunists.I have met some who used me as a driver big time!I did not even realize and one good friend told me about it.They will never invite me for anything but when they want to do grocery,malls etc ..I am their driver.back there in our country, with family around you,these kind of people won't even come to you.especially in a joint family.That support system is a FENCE.Now with neuclear families that too living in an alien land,we are in the wild.We learn.

9)I keep to myself and am the evil one lol.People think am rude,not mingling etc but who knows our history lol :)

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

When there is facebook, Whatsup, IndusLadies group, Real Estate and other Investments groups, who has time to chit chat on the phone with neighbors ? People are more friendly with face-unknown virtual friends on the internet, than someone in the next flat, with whom we share a wall. StayAtHomeMoms could be more busy than people who go out to work somewhere.
    From here on, we should see one post from ThirumathiJ on "every alternate day". That would solve the problem.

9. ThirumathiJ

Well... I see most of you have you have accepted well with the reality that most of them out there are just plain selfish. I agree too. I am just angry at them why have they become soooo selfish and so self absorbed.

Even in work environment unknown races of all sorts who do not necessarily are close to you have the courtesy to say " goodbye's". What excuse does our Desis have, especially after being a friend to you.

I had just mentioned 2 ex- neighbors who left without saying bye. But I have had more than 20 neighbors in my entire stay here who have had a good friendship and said bye... when they left.

I really cannot see people justifying their stupid act! Not sure if I"m more surprised of those 2 who used me and did not say bye ......or few of you here justifying as people are like that and suck it up, blah blah blah. I guess I had at least seen few good ones, but guess you guys have only seen all rotten ones.

You can go on and on about telling about life in America is such, nuclear life, people a busy all those stuff, but please come on. Seriously!!!! Even American born have courtesy to say " bye" when they leave. Or Somalian colleague, or whatever nation for that matter. Only very few absolutely selfish, ethic less people would behave in such a manner.

Btw Rihanna, 1 of the neighbor bought a house and moved 10 miles away. So there was no sad situation, it's just people can't be bothered. I wouldn't say everybody, I still have 1 or 2 wonderful neighbors who are also mad at the weird attitude that was exhibited to us.

Vaikuntha and deeps0512 like this.
  10. ThirumathiJ

Thank God you do not have the need yet. But you need people, real people. All the social Media is only for passing the time. But in cases of emergencies you definitely need real people. I am not going to list the kinds of emergencies here.