1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bad Atmosphere At Home.

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sneha1985, Jul 2, 2020.

1. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Thanks guys for your responses! I really appreciate you all taking time out to reply.

I have tried explaining to my dad, but he doesn't understand few things either. I feel bad because they are the only one I have and if I raise my voice or say something respectful, I myself feel bad about it later and sit and cry in a corner. I have told her that I feel depressed at times due to the way whole house atmosphere has become, things that are going on in my life, career and not getting married is taking up another toll. My career progress has been affected by my depression and whenever I try to talk about it, really nothing happens. Instead she says you are never going to achieve anything in life the way your lifestyle has become. I have told her my lifestyle is because of it and I too want to get out of it, but nothing.

Anyways, I am learning to emotionally detach myself from everything. Even from people who I have known for few years, call them as friends and are never available to talk. Hopefully things will get better someday.

2. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

You need some space apart from them.It is Covid now, but try to create some space between them and you inside the house .

sneha1985 likes this.
  3. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

Yeah I go sit in a different room at times. I also try to spent as much time with them as possible, coz not sure when I will get to spend it again. I sometimes feel like since I am so used to living alone now, I cannot handle such emotional drama anymore from anyone... be it friends or family. I try to get out of it as much as I can, but if it is from family then it does hurt a lot sometimes.

4. DXBDesi

DXBDesi Silver IL'ite

I think you are being unduly harsh on OP's father

5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP
    Almost 3 years goneby. I presume passage of time erased past negatives and you are a happy lot now.
    Regards

sneha1985 likes this.
  6. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

They were with me when I had posted this so I was going through all the drama and left for India at the end of 2021. They go through conflicts every day or every other day at home, but while living apart it doesn't come down to me that much. Recently there was a time when they started fighting when I was on the call and when I tried resolving it, my dad literally yelled at me to keep my mouth shut and not to interfere and I dropped the call. Honestly, I too have started ignoring it for my own sanity since no matter what I do or how much happy I try to keep them or I try to show them that they have a better life compared to others, nothing changes. And with age, both are becoming more stubborn with everything. However ignoring will work for me now, but not in future. I will be moving back to India in future to take care of them and will go through the same again.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

just saw your reply. This is so sad. Pls pls go for therapy. It will help you figure out your codependency issues with your parents. Your mom got embroiled in a toxic and dysfunctional dynamic with your dad and in laws and herself became toxic. It’s ok to keep some distance from your parents.

sneha1985 likes this.
  8. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

I saw couple of your threads. I think you are becoming over protective of your parents and over thinking and in the end over stressing yourself . Too many Overs :)

they are grown adults. if they are able to raise you and send alone here and you are a mature smart person handling so much. They sure can handle social drama which happens all the time in all places (something in their place of stay).

i saw your thread parents issues, Stay out it, not alienating them, but it is high time to let them work on it. not because you do not care, but after some years you have to work on your mental health and peace. if you go to india also, you should try to live little separate may be rent.

you are not your parent's therapist . do not go there in resolving. cut the call if you have to. they have live their life. nothing against them.

sneha1985 likes this.
  9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Please send your parents for therapy specially mother. It will help her to get closure on her past memories. Otherwise these problems increase with time.

sneha1985 likes this.
  10. sneha1985

sneha1985 Gold IL'ite

I am doing meditation now and more focused on work which has been helping. Therapists here doesn't clearly understand our family bonds and their solution is to cut ties which is not possible since my parents are old and they will need the help soon. My brother left them for greener grass so all the responsibilities are on me now.

lavani likes this.