1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

(Back)to school I went

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Dec 23, 2010.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

While posting my suggestion to one ILite’s query on how to spend free time I was recalling the days when I went back to school.
    -----------------------------
    When my younger son started kindergarten I had a few hours in the morning; well four hours to be precise.

Believing that work was waiting for me with open arms and imagining me all smart in the lovely pant-suits that I saw in the Sunday ads I began my search. Didn’t take long for reality to set in.

That was when my husband suggested I go back to school. Whaaat! At this age? :spinHe convinced me that Madam Curie started her research during her forties and I was only in the early 30s. I didn’t just take his word; I first read M. Curie’s biography thoroughly and thought why not; of course after making a mental note that M. Curie never cooked a meal.

I decided to start with just one class and went through the rigmarole of the application process, this time envisioning me in Scandinavia gracefully accepting my Nobel Prize. :biggrin2::biggrin2:(hee, hee).

Mathematics was my first class with tons of homework - pages of problems. I used to work at the dining table near the kitchen so that I can keep one eye on the sambhar [​IMG]and the other on quadratic equations.

One day while I was transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer in the middle of homework [​IMG](yeah! that’s how), I heard my husband’s voice: “How beautiful! Oh so beautiful!” After hearing “beautiful” the third time I got a bit worried.

You see in all these years of marriage not once has he used the word “beautiful” to me…well, at least not in my hearing! I was convinced he didn’t know such a word existed.

Now I had to find out whom this “villi” was; evoking such strong emotions in my stoic man. I found him at the dining table admiring a tricky problem that I had half-completed. He had solved it on a separate sheet and was now fascinated by the sheer beauty.

Humph! :rant… and here I was buying cosmetics to pretty myself [​IMG]when I could have simply been a math problem. :bonk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi kamala,

that was a very good suggestion you gave. I admire you for taking up studies again... many of us face this problem... though you can have your hands full with a house and a baby it would be interesting to do something for the mind as well

I remember my dh had asked me to do CPA to occupy myself when we came here 10 years back but i had had enough of studies after my C A .and working full time in india.now sometimes I regret not doing so.but also think so what i would have done with another degree...a bit confused there actually.

anyway great to hear you occupied yourself with Math...Your Dh has my reverence already..only a genius will find Math beautiful.:)

though by no chance am I anyway near to being one,I must admit that solving a math problem that dd needed (only up to high school level... i love Math ) always gave me a high:)

3. raji2678

raji2678 Gold IL'ite

Nicely written and humorous article. I really admire u for going to school..and your hubby desires praises. Go on and you will shine!

Raji

4. mithy232

mithy232 Silver IL'ite

Enjoyed your post Krish :rotfl

Maths is a 'beautiful' subject indeed. :)

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Lovely post.I had a passion for history,so I did my P.G IN HISTORY,7 years back,one of my mother in law's cousin did her Phd in music at the age 70.I don't think age matters only your passion and dertermination counts.My late father did his M.B.A when my sister got married.

6. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

luvd your write-up! :thumbsup

yeah maths is really very challenging. luvd calculus while in school. unfortunately my profession doesnt allow me to have anything to do with maths.:) so had forgotten most of it. though a couple of yrs back, when my l'le bro was having his board exams, i was required to help him out with calculus and so that way i brushed up my maths and found it as challenging as ever.

7. nimmimoorthy

nimmimoorthy Platinum IL'ite

Humoros post. Yes really Maths is very interesting and we will get excited if we solve a problem. Thats why your DH was excited.

8. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamala

Ya there is no age for learning something. Glad you learnt maths. I was very fond of Maths i School. Me and my friend used to study together and before the teacher could teach us next day by seeing the example we used to try the sums. Also I used to like Algebra very much and for Optional I had taken Maths only instead of Science. You brought be back memories of my school days

9. meenasankaran

meenasankaran Platinum IL'ite

Awesome post Kamala. I can actually see you at the dining table working on your problems with a pressure cooker whistling in the background and a pot of sambar simmering next to it. :rotflon your DH finding a completed math problem beautiful but seriously why and how? A Tiffany lamp is beautiful, a monarch butterfly is beautiful, the first bloom that unfurls after a hard winter is beautiful but Math???!!![​IMG]

I have utmost respect for all those who go back to college to pursue higher education after marriage and kids. It takes a lot of dedication and discipline to do that, I think. My only regret here is that we are no longer 'soul sistas'.:cry: What can a woman who solves her quadratic equations in the middle of doing laundry have anything in common with a woman who is totally Math and Science-challenged?

Still, totally enjoyed reading the post Kamala. :)

10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi
    Thank you for your first FB! I agree with you that it is difficult to go back to work or study with a young child in a new country. Same was my case. That's why I waited till my younger one started school.

anyway great to hear you occupied yourself with Math...
    Though a degree holder in Botany (wanted to become a doctor) I also loved Mathematics.
    I started with Math with the intention of pursuing it but later many factors - especially priority towards rearing my children-changed my career path to Busn. Admin.

Your Dh has my reverence already..only a genius will find Math beautiful.:)
    Well..thanks! My hubby is a research scientist(aero. engr.) in the place that send rockets into space! So.... :) I too am proud of him!

Please do not regret your decison! There are multiple reasons that determine the decisions each of us make in life! Perhaps that decison helped you more than you know!