1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Back to Comparison And Warning Bells - Read This Story!

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Dec 5, 2006.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

What a mind blowing story....

Hi Sridhar,
    I have been reading all your posts but the fact is that i did not find time to write long F.B's like others do.I do login to IL even at home, but i keep getting some work or the other...

Well, the concept of comparison was just mind blowing. Comparison is such an evil diesease that never goes off from a person's mind...I would say more deadly than HIV+. As the saying goes" DESIRE IS THE CAUSE OF ALL WORRIES" , i think desire is the root cause for comparison too.

Kudos to you Sridhar for scripting such a nice concept.Appreciate ur efforts and it was an eye opener too.

Best Regards,
    Aishu.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Stark Reality

Dear Sridhar,

It is indeed a good lesson to learn for us when we see the way some people live. Yes i have too have had this experience. When i was in College, as part of our course, we had to go to the Dharavi Slums in Mumbai to do surveys on the health of the kids. also impart education to the moms and provide them some daily nutritional snacks. We did this for 1 year . And in the Rainy season you just imagine how gross it would be. I used to come home saying "kalai vetti pottudalam polairruku" . but the people there are so nice, and helpful. They used to love it when we used to go there.They would offer to get us cooldrinks from the shop but yes we ( all of us girls) have had tea, water etc....made by the ladies. Despite the the fact the surroundings were so unhygienic, inside all their little homes, it used to be spic and span. All the vessels used to gleam till you could see you face in it. And they were so proud when we partook of whatever little they had. By the time we finished, we all had such a wonderful rapport with all the kids and women there.

How about having a contest for the other ending about how Roopa would react??

Vandhana

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

My dear Sridhar - let me be frank !

Somewhere in my mind it is lurking that I am becoming a permanent " feedback fixture" in your forum. So, I decided to be just an " onlooker" ( is there a term - onreader?) this time !
    Well, typical of you, you have made me come out in the forum, breaking my சபதம்.
    More han the story, I thoroughly enjoyed your replies to Vandhana & Kamla.
    Born as the personification of pure innocence, how we collect layers of "undesirable elements" over us, as we grow up ! You rightly said
    Another theory which I found very useful to practise and which makes me peaceful at the end of the day is that every one is very loving and caring at the very core of their being. Having wrong attitudes, evil comparisons results in sediments accumlating over the core. Gradually the core becomes invisible what we see is just the ugly sediments. Like the moss in a watery area.

We interact typically as " உள்ளொன்று வைத்துப் புறமொன்று பேசுவார்"
    We rarely allow us to be our natural selves, full of love, comapassion, goodwill etc. Keeping up with Jones inevitably creeps in practice. I think of my teacher who always says " Do not say, we are happy. Remember, you are happiness" !We totally forget
    போதும் என்ற மனமே பொன் செய்யும் மருந்து

But is not the following, the order of the world ?
    பாலுக்குச் சீனி இல்லை என்பார் கோடி
    கூழுக்கு உப்பு இல்லை என்பார் கோடி

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Suddenly, I realise how convenient the tamil font is in expressing myself enjoyably !

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks, Aishwarya!

Hi Aishu,
    thanks for the nice post. A writer thrives on feedbacks. It is oxygen to his existence as a writer. So if you are hard pressed for time just send a word in FB, "good" "enjoyed" or "bad" or "horrible". I can survive on negative feedbacks; but I am yet to learn to survive in an atmosphere of indifference. In this sense a writer is more like a child.

Aishu, these words of yours should be read by every one every day. If I were a psychologist I would prescribe reading your statements three times a day before food, to remain mentally healthy for ever.

Comparison is such an evil diesease that never goes off from a person's mind...I would say more deadly than HIV+

Thanks again, Aishu.
    sridhar

5. varalotti

You have enriched even more!

Dear Vandhana,
    Was happy to read your experiences in the Dharavai slum. When I was in Bombay for a 10-day holiday in 1995 the moment I saw those slums, I will start feeling guilty. While I am not for absolute equality of wealth and enjoyment (which is simply not possible) I am definitely not for human suffering. But these slums are the best universities in the world. They teach you something which no other college or university can teach. I also had a similar experience back in 1975 when we were assigned to work in Karumbalai slum in Madurai as part of our social work. We were asked to teach them something and we ended up learning more from them.
    Now to the contest. Vandhana, dont you think the very concept of contest would further enforce the habit of comparison? Now what I suggest is, that you write your version of Roopas reaction. Whosoever is inspired by you can write their own version. All of us would be the beneficiaries as we would learn more and more of this aspect of our mind.
    Thanks again, Vandhana.
    sridhar

6. varalotti

I feel relieved, Chitra!

I was thinking that I had something seriously wrong to merit this boycott from the most-read lady of the IL. Now only I feel relieved that you have chose to come.
    Thanks for your words of appreciation. Vandhana and Kamla, by their powerful posts made me give that kind of response.
    I am happy to see the apt quote in Tamil. That quote is a part of a beautiful Tamil poem which I read long back. To express my gratitude and relief to you, that at last you have come back, I am giving the full poem below

பாலுக்குச் சர்க்கரை இல்லை என்பார்க்கும்
    பருக்கையற்ற
    கூழுக்குப் போட உப்பில்லை என்பார்க்கும் முள்
    குத்தித் தைத்த
    காலுக்குத் தோல் செருப்பு இல்லை என்பார்க்கும்
    கனக தண்டி
    மேலுக்குப் பஞ்சணை இல்லை என்பார்க்கும்
    விசனம் ஒன்றே.
    A person having a dozen houses, of which one requires repairs; another person living in a shack in which water comes in if there's rain. The grief is the same. That is the reason why happiness goes not with wealth but with understanding.
    Thanks Chitra for coming and for making me think of the old Tamil poem
    regards,
    sridhar

7. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

You have clearly.....

Dear Sridhar,
    You have clearly written the difference between the two comparisons. Malathi was comparing right till the end. She was competing with her sister Roopa and in the end with the plumber. Ultimately she gained something out of it. I am sure Suren will be in for a pleasant shock. Since the past two days I am working hard to count my blessings. It goes unnoticed in this busy world.
    Love,

8. varalotti

Thats right, the Faultless One

Dear Anjana,
    The first comparison Malathi had (with her sister Roopa) was a disease. The second one was the medicine that cured the first one. Malathi is basically a very good person. Somehow she got into this bad habit of comparison and when God sent a right experience her way, she learnt her lesson. She is now destined to live a very happy life with her husband in their new home. By her act of kindness she has converted her house into a home.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    you have rightly said that happiness goes with undestanding and not with wealth. I enjoyed this story very much, my sister is like Roopa and thank God, I am not like Malathy.

10. varalotti

That is nice of you, Varloo!

Dear Varloo,
    I am very happy and proud of you to know that you are not like Malathi. It is easy not to be like Malathi when you don't have a sister. But having a sister like Rupa, not to be like Malathi is an achievement of which you can be legitimately proud.
    At the same time, Varloo, as your friend, I have a duty to tell you that this realisation should never make you to look down on your sister. It is not her intention but her ignorance that makes her so. And to ignorant people, who are in a way mentally handicapped, we should show the same compassion we show to the people who are physically challenged.
    I am glad that you liked the story,
    regards,
    sridhar