1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bachpan ke din(childhood days)

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by ansh12, Feb 23, 2008.

1. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all

I was watching a movie, when all of the sudden I remembered this incident of my childhhood and ran to share with all of you.

My father was a defence personal, so iwas fortunate to meet people of differnt culture and language.

I was 6 years old then and studying in class second. We were four muskeeteers residing in the same lane and studying in the same class.

We were not as smart as kids of today,we just knew the initails and surname of our father. We were never asked full name in the the school. Four of us belonged to different states, myself from punjab, sona from west bengal(for us it was best bengal), one from Madras(though she was a keralite, but for us at that time every southie was a madrasi) and fourth, i don't remember.

We always used to feel amazed and discuss among ourselves, why there are these alphabets in front of the surname, though we never enquired our parents, but reached a unanimous conclusion under my able guidance. Read on to know...

One day, a newly married beautiful aunti shifted to the house opposite to ours in our lane. She use to be alone at home in afternoon, so she use to call me at home.She use to like me a lot,as she flet I was bubbly. I use to feel insulted that why she has given me the name of our maids daughterbonk. She asked me,"what is your father's name". Like a parrot I told "Mr. S.P Sharma". She asked full name . I told Sarna Punjab Sharma. She flet akward:confused2:, but didn't say anything.

She came to know about my father's name from her hubby and told my parents baout the answer I gave. My parents asked me, how did I know that my father's name was "Sarna Punjab Sharma". I told that you peole always say that C.V( concesion voucher for raliways) is till last destination i.e hometown. Our last destination is Sarna in Punjab, so papa got the name from there(incidentally it went well with his initials), as every person is identified by the place he stays and the name of the state. So, Sona's father is S.C Chakravorty and she belongs to Calcutta(she is not smart so doesn't know her hometown). the keralite friend's father's name is O.M Nair(I remember this very-very clearly, the name plate is still fresh in my mind) and she belongs to Madras. But, papa how did I get my name?

Needless to say that my parents almost died laughing :rotfland they knew their daughter would certainly take up science with all this innovation, curiousity and logic.

I would like to know the childhood incidents of your life an do relish this song
    YouTube - Aaya Hai Mujhe Phir Yaad Woh Zaalim....
    Best wishes

2. aquamarine

aquamarine Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I was reading your piece due to sheer curiosity. I think i must applaud the little you in devising such a nice method of discovering the meaning of the initials. A very charming piece.

Hoping to read more and getting to know you more.

Regards,
    Aqua.

3. maya08

maya08 Senior IL'ite

hi there....
    i must say...the title caught my eye....
    nice to read/reminisce about your childhood and think about all the little events that took place....
    some the most memorable ones would be the least significant events...i know one that i have....
    as a pre-teen....my grandmother(mom's mom) was staying in my house for about a week at that time....
    one morning when i was doing some toasts for her, she came into the kitchen...as i was toasting(she was standing beside me)
    i was enquiring how does she want the toast....
    then after a bit....she just flipped the toast withouth waiting for me to do it for her...we just looked up at each other and smiled....
    i know it seems like and everyday thing...but somehow i felt that on that day i shared a strong bond with my grandma...quite inexplicable....

good on you for posting....
    brought back some memories for me....

cheers
    maya

4. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Wah yaar, ansh, kamaal kardhiya aapne!

Feel like sharing an incident from mere bachpan...I was in 3rd.....I can see no wrong done to me and to anybody in front of my eyes...there was a naughty girl in the class...Used to pull everybody's legs always....There was an all-time tug of war between both of us...

One day the class was going on....a girl who was sitting by my side whispered that the 'naughty' was keeping her feet on our bench...That's it....I was like, "Manohara, poruththadhu podhum, pongiyezhu....(sorry to those friends who can't understand, for quoting a dialogue from a tamil movie...used it to keep up the originality of the situation...the translation being, 'enough of your patience, Manohara, go ahead)....Actually, the bench in which I was sitting, was smaller than the naughty's; as it was a combined class we had to adjust....I turned with a rage and in the same sitting position extended my leg and kept it on her bench...The teacher who was handling the class was very strict...and he burst into laughter :rotflfollowed by the whole class....The best thing was he was following the naughty's behaviour for a considerable time and she was very well 'taken care' of...

5. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Nice one..

For me lots of creative memories.

Best one is.. We were in Jullundhar and then were moving to UP. We had stayed in a very big house in Jullundhar and all the tenant 's families were very close to one another. There were some 10 families there. Very big house. There was my father's female colleague staying with her family in adjacent two room set. In her family it was double income family so obviously her kids had access to lot much toys than we had access to. This aunty had one son and one daughter. Son was of my age and my very close friend. And her daughter was an infant. They had a maid servant taking care full time of the kids. This boy didnt like their maid servant so he would run and hide in our house all the time. He would eat with us, sleep with us, play with us. He got so attached to our family that when we were leaving Jullundhar he fell seriously sick.

His mom was worried for him, as in 104 fever he would chant my name and say.. Dont let her go..dont let her go..
    My mom told, I was hardly bothered. But he was so sick. He came to see us off on station. And when we had got settled in new place. This boy had still not recovered for few months. Finally his parents got him to visit us all the way from Jullundhar to our place. That was very sweet memory.

My father was telling recently, He met the boy's father and uncle was asking about me. He says sonu still remembers your daughter..

:tongue

Ria

6. ansh12

ansh12 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Oviya, Aquamarine and Ria

Thanks for your replies and enjoyed sharing your experiences of childhood

Bets wishes
    Ansh