1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby weight in lower percentile, 4 months, starting solids advice

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by cooks2010, Apr 7, 2014.

1. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

My baby's birth weight was 7lb, 13 oz (3kg, full term 42 weeks) and at 4months its 11lb (4kg). She is in the lower 10% percentile of weight. My paed advised to start solids. I asked whether I can wait till 5.5 months, she said its fine, but not to wait too long. The reason for waiting was because my baby does not have complete head / neck control yet, so was thinking of waiting a while. Though the paed did recommend I get a high-chair with a reclining position for feeding.

Is this weight considered really low? I am wondering whether I should start cereal now, or should I wait a month longer.... a little confused. I was planning to go again for weight check at 5 month and then decide.

Any thoughts appreciated.

thanks,
    Cooks.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

Cooks is your baby feeding well? Generally they say baby should double the birth weight by 3 months did your baby lose more than 10 percent after birth? I never go by percentile all I would look is baby happy and healthy. You can start solids slowly if your doc is really concerned. Both my babies are petite but healthy and on track. So my doc never seemed alarmed withn my first I started solids at end of 5 months.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My DD's birth weight was 6 lbs. by 4 months she was 8 lbs. She was on the lower 5th percentile. Paed advised me to start solids at 4 months but she said I can start it later too. I started solids at 6 months. There was no abnormal weight increase after starting solids. She was gaining same weight every month as before starting solids.

I would suggest you to wait till she has head/neck control. This is essential for them to learn swallowing the food.

4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

I don't think there was a weight decrease after birth, don't remember :) . At 2 months her weight was 10lb. Yes, other than the weight she is healthy and very active. She babbles too much, blows spit, kicks legs like crazy and squirms, scoots, arches her back \ neck and moves as much as she can on the floor.

Regarding her feeding, at the beginning of 3 months she started to become aware of her surroundings and during her daytime feedings get distracted a lot, looking at buttons on my clothes, my jewelery. She would feed for a minute, delatch, babble, smile, feed, delatch...this was pretty much the case for all her day feedings ( her feeding sessions would last 10 min.). At night she would feed quietly for 20 min. ( 2-3 times).

The paed advised to change sides, which has helped a lot and I started using a dupatta to cover her, this has helped too. Even though feedings were like this, her number of wet diapers were fine and she pooped fine too (1-2 times a day).

Cooks.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks, that helps a lot. I guess I will wait for a while, see how things go. What did you use for feedings, high chair etc?

6. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

hi,
    I would suggest you use Indian parameters to compare your baby.Indian kids usually are smaller ,weigh less as are usually bf so are in lower end of western parameters(check indianparenting site)........
    do you give her some other baby milk like NAN ...it would be good to start that if doctor agrees....
    aslo,its good you recognize the baby's health by her activity level,her sleep patterns, her alertness etc and not only weight & height.

7. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks, I agree with you. My mother also mentioned that I was also on the smaller side and so were my siblings compared to other western children. I only give her breastmilk.

cooks

1 person likes this.
  8. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

Baby generally doubles weight in 5 th month (not 3rd or 4th).What my doctor said is it's okay even if it's 6th month . He suggested me to igive some formula once or twice a day.i would say try to stay away from solid till 6 months.Try to include formula if breast fed.Your baby might not getting /drinking enough milk as you think.So increase the number of feeds and wait for 1 more month.Breast fed babies usually don't gain weight quickly as formula fed.So check weight at 5 th month and see.

9. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@cooks My DD had good head/neck control at 2 months. She was almost crawling when I started solids. So paed did not say anything specific about reclining position. I started solids in a rocker but in the non rocking position. Later shifted to high chair at 7.5 months.

I checked my DD's weight in Indian growth charts too. As per Indian standards she was in the 20th percentile mostly. Even then only on the lower side but she was active and healthy.

10. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Thanks eveyone. I checked the Indian standards, supposed to be 6 kg, mine is 4 kg, a little less. Anyway, I'll wait and see in a months time.

Cooks.