1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Baby vomits formula after 3hrs

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Vishalini3, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Mommies,

It happened last month and yesterday, twice so far. I gave him 1/2oz formula last month(with paladai), he vomited after 2.5hrs of taking it. Yesterday too, my supply was toooooo low, he took 1.5oz formula(from a sippy cup), vomitted after 3hrs. He felt very dehydrated and dull after throwing up, today he is back to action. He is on EBF otherwise. I have NAN1. In his first 2days of life, my milk wasnt coming in, he was given NAN1 at the hospital. He did fine then, no throwing up. Am wondering what could be the reason now.

Even if he is taking solids, that could be only for 1-2feeds, otherwise he needs BM or formula, am worried what if my supply goes down drastically as yesterday and i dont have a formula handy! He scared me enough yesterday.
    1) Should I try some other lactose-free/soy based formula?
    2) The medium is the issue? Paladai/sippy, is that the too much flow didnt suit him?

TIA.

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Ack, is he better now? Why do you think your supply was low yesterday?
    To me that sounds like an intolerance and children who are intolerant to cow's milk protein can also be intolerant to soy.Can you try taking soy milk and then see how your child is reacting to it?
    Pon, as someone who threw out all the formula from her home, you can bf without the benefit of formula lying around the house. I guess with an older child it is tough on you. Hope it eases for you.

3. Priyaalagu

Priyaalagu Silver IL'ite

hi,

actually it happened the same to me as it did with you. i couldnt get breastmilk & then changed to NAN1 & 1st time he vomitted (gave palladai) & then he did again throw out the next time too.......... his ped asked me to change to feeding bottle then it worked, i used feeding bottle with so many if 's & but's but all went well. so try your chance. dont worry. :thumbsup

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

K, thanks for the instant reply, Sunday and yesterday, i didnt eat well, didnt do well on fluids, didnt do any of pumping/methi/oatmeal/lactare. If i dont do all of this, supply goes down! All my energy drains with the regular chores itself! He profusely cried even after nursing, showed hunger cues, I could make out that my supply isnt enough for him! It was my mistake, i just lazed around. It took whole of yesterday night to forgive myself and get back on senses :))

I dont want anymore formula at home, but not having any other option scares me. I am never confident of my supply K, am just maintaining with all aids. From yesterday night, i am pumping, eating often, nursing him often, doing all methi, lactare, etc. Supply is a lot better today. I should do them religiously, no matter what!

Soy - last month I took soya masala (soya balls), atleast 2-3times in a month, I take them. No throwing up/discomfort for him. Soy milk, I would try next week and let you know.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  5. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Thanks Priya, Bottles, i too have all the if's and but's :)) Let me hear from paed :)

6. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

Pon, have you tried bottling him? i know you never wanted to but zoey wasnt able to use the sippy with the valve, when i removed it, it was too fast for her, she gagged and choked.....

i am yet to try nan1 on her.... lets see how it falls in place

7. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Pon, this happened to me too - I really don't have a good explanation. I used to give V formula occasionally during the time I was BF'ing (0-4 months) and there was no issues. Around 4.5 months I had to supplement more and he vomitted twice in a row after the formula, so I tried changing the brand. Then he was fine.

Maybe it was the taste, formula has a very peculiar taste and my theory is that really young babies (few days old) will drink happily but after 3 or 4 months they get picky about the taste. The other formula that I switched is also milk-based and supposed to have the same ingredients.

I am not too sure about intolerance. Usually if you have intolerance it will show up in the first few months even when you are BF'ing right? That is how it was for my older son, and I had to go off of dairy. My younger was fine with dairy. After that he got used to the formula.

Do you have a different brand that is a little gentle on the tummy? Hugs, O know how stressed out I was because I was not getting enough from pumping and with all the vomitting.

I would say try one more time after a couple of days with the same brand. If it persists then switch brands.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  8. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Yaa Poonam, I dont want to bottle him, he is almost 6months old, i have to find a right sippy spout, with min flow. I would try it with expressed BM first.

Sindhu, is it??? But I think DS liked the taste of NAN1, otherwise he would have pushed it out right after the first sip. He does that with a particular kind of apple puree :) I am sooo scared to try formula right now. Would try after some weeks :) Its nice to know that am not alone :))

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I think Sindhu has a point about changing formula. Is Nan a hydrolysed cow's milk formula? It could be just that your child could not digest the formula easily and therefore threw up. Try another brand which is extensively or partially hydrolysed CMP formula. DH was on a partially hydrolysed formula in the beginning, but it was a caesin hydrolysed formula. That may work better for your baby!
    But Sindhu, allergies/intolerances are known to show up at any point in time. It is the first time your body is responding a certain protein at the certain threshold. For eg: I can have thoor dal once a month or so, any more frequently I get GI symptoms. I grew up eating sambar and rasam and paruppu sadam. This allergy is a very new one to me.

10. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Pon, This happened to me also... We fed Shibu with formula when I was unable to reach home at time to feed her.. AS you know she has cows milk protein intolerance.. She didnt like it and she hardly drank 1oz. but after 2 -3 hours, she completely vomitted it in the bad.. I was really scared as I have never seen such a small baby vomitting that bad.. but she did well after that...

Vidyaa