1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

baby to movie theatre

Discussion in 'Infants' started by jhalli27, Jun 15, 2010.

1. jhalli27

jhalli27 Bronze IL'ite

hi,

just wanted to know whats the right age to take a child to cinema theatres?? DD is 7 months old. we are just 3 of us - baby, DH and i. there is no option to leave child somewhere - no friend's or in day care or anywhere else. we havent been to a movie for more than a year now. but how long to wait? we need some enetertainment and dunno what to do. pls help!!!

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi,

my opinion only - we haven't been to movies for the last 5 yrs - ever since the first one. perhaps our situation is different in that we don't get to see indian movies in theatres. i take my son out to movies now but only that are appropriate for his age. personally i find indian movies (i mention this because we don't seem to follow any age factor in watching our movies) too vulgar and too much for small children.

we do watch dvds after the children go to bed. may be that's an intermediate option if you strongly feel about taking your child to such movies meant for adults only:)

that said i know of many friends and relatives who do take a baby as small as 3 months old to movies. if they sleep through, good for them else they return home.

Latha

3. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Jhalli,
    Young as your kid is catching any kind of infection is a major hassle in a movie theatre! How much they clean we don't know an it is not possible to do a cent percent job with hundreds of them walking in and out of the hall every few hours! I second Latha here, rent movie and wait till your kid is older! There is no right time or anything of that kind but given your child is very young ,I think you can wait beore exposing her to such a huge crowd of people!

JMO!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. YesBee

YesBee Bronze IL'ite

Jhalli,

Just like Latha and Janani said, I too would suggest you to wait for a while. My DD is almost 11 months now, but we still havent been to theatres yet. I feel that the theatres are congested, and that babies will not feel good in the dark with such loud noise. Almost all theatres are with digital dolby sound system, which we think is too noisy for the little ones. You might try taking her out for parks where she can have fresh air, as well as some entertainment for her eyes.

5. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

we took our son to movie when he was 10 mos old and to tamil movie...once we found he was ok we started going often..the key is, take ur baby's fav snacks and make sure they are in peak of sleepiness..ofcourse u may sometimes miss few scenes but thatz ok....it helped him in a way that he is not scared of dark or sounds..he is 3 yrs now...
    but once we made the mistake of going to English movie...the movie by itself has less noise and we went when he had started yapping (2 yrs old)...americans hate any disturbance and hence I came out in the middle itself...
    if u feel ur baby will be ok, go ahead...

6. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

The sounds in the theatre are too loud and definitely not good for LO's ears...I agree with others here..It's better to get a DVD and watch the movie at home...You can have a nice romantic evening even at home (after LO sleeps)...

I haven't been to a movie since DS was born...

Some of my friends went with their babies but had to come out of the theatre in the middle of the movie because LO could not take loud sounds..