1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Baby shower in US..

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by pinky2, Jan 14, 2008.

1. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites,

We friends are planning to make a baby shower for another friend. Do any one have arranged baby shower in US for your friends?

Pls. pour in your ideas abt how to do and abt the events and everything to be done on that time. Planning to do this week, since I'm travelling to India next week.

Thanks for your inputs.

Cheers,
    Pinky.

2. Blondie

Blondie Bronze IL'ite

Having hosted quite a few.....

First to decide ....

Is it going to be a surprise one OR the intended person knows about it

Any traditional stuff to be done. If so take care to consult their elders.

if surprise....

take the husband into your plans, it helps a lot

have the time of arrival and parking for the others pre planned so that the surprise is not given away as soon as the couple's car turns into your street.

Second have a menu drawn out and get volunteers for each item.

Third have some baby shower games planned and assign people in charge.

suggestions :
    have some diaper pins (blue & pink) and pin each of the guests as they arrive, they lose the pin if at any time in their conversation they say 'baby' or 'bottle', or 'diaper' or any word related to babies. The last person who still has a pin gets a prize.

mix some small (tiny yellow) safety pins in rice grains in a plate and blind fold the person in the game. they have to fish out as many pins as they can in a minute. The person that gets the most pins out gets the prize.

blind fold all the fathers, expectant fathers or going to be fathers in the near future (in brief all men) and make them have a taste of baby food (different kinds). The one who accurately tells what kind it is wins the game (and is fit to be a good father :)). Take care to remove all labels from the jars and number the jars. Have a cheat sheet that tells you what number is which kind

another fun one (hugely popular) is to try to hang baby clothes on the clothes line while holding the baby (doll), talking on the cell ph. while the clothes line keeps going up and down. and they have to be hung cleanly with the clothes pin on in a minute.

you can also google for baby shower games.

Lastly time for the going to be mom to open the gifts....

have fun....

1 person likes this.
  3. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pinky,
    I guess you have already got lots of ideas by now since blondie has given enough details to get started. I have also organized a couple baby showers here and this is wht we do:
    First we need to decide if its a suprise or a not. Mostly suprise ones are good.
    Second decide on the place if its going to be a friends house or a club house or a the expectant parents house itself.
    Then third decide the number of people you are going to invite n u def need to send out a evite and see how many ppl are going to make it. This needs atleast a weeks notice since ppl should make their plans.
    Then decide a menu and is it an order or are friends going to make like a potluck. If its a order it needs to done soon.
    Then pick a cake and order it.
    Then comes decorations which u can pick from party ppl. There you can get baby shower specific themes.
    Then shop for some return gifts.
    Then organize some baby shower games and give prizes for the winners of the games.

I think thats enough to get started.
    -Priya

4. desiprincess

desiprincess Senior IL'ite

Hi Pinky

my co-workers threw me a baby shower in a very nice restaurant. It wasn't a surprise because I was 8 months pregnant and they didn't want to surprise me at that crucial time. We had a very nice lunch and then I opened presents and had some cake. If you don't have a lot of time like I didn't because I was going on bed rest a party at a hotel is a good idea also.

hope this helps!

5. pinky2

pinky2 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Blondie and Hydgrr,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.It helped me a lot, since this is the first time for most of r frnds.

We arranged Baby shower on Tuesday and went well. We all friends enjoyed with our family.

It was a surprise party. She was so excited and enjoyed then. We 9 families cooked different variety rices and sweets.we bought some fruits, bangles and prizes for the game.Two other friends took in charge of games and they conducted 3 games and gave prizes. My DH won 2 prizes.
    Games conducted were.
    1.We were given a paper and a pen.were asked to draw a baby picture , placing the paper on our head. My DH won the Prize for this game.

2.Bingo

3.Dice abd Rob a Winner.We were asked to throw the dice and whoever gets 6 dots, they got the price. If the next one gets the 6 dots, they have to grab from the winner.My DH won the prize for this.

Final one, we were asked to write 3 names for the baby.Just for the couples Idea to name.

We all had fun and back home by 11 pm, we would have stayed for some more time, but since it was on week days we gotto leave.

Desi Princess,Hope you enjoyed ur baby shower. Then, howz the baby now? Its' a baby girl or boy.

Thank you all for ur grt ideas.

Cheers,
    Pinky.

6. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Hi Pinky,
    Hope u enjoyed planning ur first baby shower and hda fun. Have a nice and safe journey.
    Priya